Start by marking “Without Alice” as Want to Read:
Without Alice

Without Alice

Have you ever had a secret? One so important that it feels as if it will tear you in two? Stephen's got one. He's also got a great job, beautiful wife and an adorable son. Outwardly his life seems perfect but it means nothing without Alice. Read 'Without Alice' and meet a man who you will love to hate until you learn to love him.
Paperback, 1st edition, 212 pages
Published October 4th 2010 by Punked Books (first published September 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Without Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Alice

Kathryn
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Within a very few pages, I was hooked, caught up in people’s lives and sucked into their story, as if I were in the same room and living through it with them in real time. D.J. Kirkby’s writing is extraordinary and dazzling. She works on every one of your senses: the world she creates feels so real that the characters are more like people you know whom you’re eavesdropping.

D.J. does something remarkable in this, her debut novel. She makes her main character intensely unlikeable and sustains this
Kim Nash
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really loved and enjoyed this book.

Without Alice started with different people being pregnant and giving birth. These scenes fall into place further into the book.

Part one of the book started with Jennie giving birth whilst husband Stephen hovered around in the background not being particularly complementary towards Jennie or helping her in any way whatsoever. Whilst Jennie and their baby Marcel were still in the hospital and Stephen was working away from home (allegedly), their house was bu
Teresa
Sep 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I have discovered some fabulous new (to me) authors via Twitter so I can testifiy that it’s not all mundane tweeting about what folk have for dinner or outpourings of grief at news of the latest X Factor evictee! Via Caroline Smailes (whose excellent novel Like Bees to Honey I have reviewed here) I found out about D J Kirkby (Denyse) who has already written From Zaftig to Aspie, a memoir of her extremely colourful childhood and eventual diagnosis with Aspergers Syndrome at the age of 40. My son ...more
Gabrielle Kimm
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this insightful look into the intertwining lives of Stephen, Jennie and Alice. Perhaps the central idea at the heart of this compelling novel is the fact that the smallest things can have the most profound impact. In her debut novel, D J Kirkby explores the lives of three people born in the same year, who as adults are unexpectedly drawn together. Kirkby has worked for years in midwifery and she depicts birth and early motherhood with great skill and tender compassion - Jennie's experien ...more
Chris
Sep 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of this book on First Reads..............and after reading it, I give this book 5 Stars! In my opinion, D.J. Kirkby writes an incredible story displaying the good and bad; beautiful and ugly; strengths and weaknesses of humankind. The author draws you into the story on page 1, and keeps you turning the pages, with surprise after surprise throughout the book...........all the way until the End! I definitely recommend adding this to your "to read" list. :-)
Leanne Keenoo
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. A story of love and tragedy.
Hated Stephen to start off with and couldn't understand who Alice was!
Part two reveals the complicated truth and then I started to understand why Stephen was the way he was.
Heartwarming, sad in parts but with a lovely ending.
A feel good book
Jess the Romanceaholic
Just really, REALLY not my cup of tea. As another reviewer said, I just felt too horribly for Jennie to really enjoy it.

MAJOR SPOILER:
(view spoiler)

I disagreed with the blurb: "...meet a man who you will love to hate until you learn to love him." Unfortunately, I never did learn to love him.

(view spoiler)
Rebecca Bradley
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read Without Alice very recently after talking to Denyse via twitter and Facebook. I'm usually a crime novel kind of girl as you can see from the books on my read list, but I wanted to read work by people I actually "knew", so I started Without Alice.

I found it brilliantly written. The first part of the book really had me hooked as I connected with everything that was happening as Jennie gave birth and worked through all the concerns mothers to premature babies go through. The story then goes
Book-shelf Shelf
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was told this is a marmite book, but i have to disagree, with the time scale and the different characters, I am sure there is some thing for everyone.
Starting with the parents giving birth to the main characters, this book takes you on many journeys with lots of twits, turns and leaving you guessing. Most stories I can predict what is going to happen, but with this book i was shocked, surprised and sitting on the edge of my seat. The writing style is unusual and a refreshing change which pers
Natajia
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Talli Roland
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It says a lot about this book that despite it being over 30 degrees on the Central Line, I couldn't stop turning the pages even as sweat dripped from my brow.

The narrative sweeps you along through the lives of the characters, keeping you guessing and wondering how it all will resolve - or indeed if it *will* - in the end.

With realistic, complex characters and an intriguing storyline, it's a must-read!
MetLineReader
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
The premise was good but unfortunately I just didn't feel that the characters were fully developed
Why did he lead a double life?
Why didn't he care he put her through misery?
Unfortunately I felt like I was wading through treacle

A 4* idea but a 2* result. I on,y finished the book because I hate not to. Sorry to disappoint, everyone seems t have given this 5*....
D.J.
Jul 27, 2010 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever had a secret? One so important that it feels as if it will tear you in two? Stephen’s got one. He's also got a great job, beautiful wife and an adorable son. Outwardly his life seems perfect but it means nothing without Alice.
Anne
Jul 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oh no no no! You don't construct a plot this way. 80% before the main event, a truly horrible central character that no one in their right mind would sympathise with and a heroine who does nothing to help herself.

The worst 77p I've ever spent. I could have had chocolate!
Tess Majestic
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Without Alice opens with the birth stories of three people - well, four, if you count Marcel - and goes on to weave the tale of how their lives are interconnected. We first meet Jennie and Stephen, unhappily married with a newborn son. Jennie does her best to take care of the baby, the house, and deal with all of the crapola that comes her way (including a home invasion) despite Stephen's treatment of her, which ranges from emotionally distant to outright hostile. Eventually, we find out why Ste ...more
Jeanie V.
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
Really interesting story. I enjoyed it. At first I wasn't sure where the story was going because it starts with the birth of 3 babies - and I thought it was going to be a story about those parents. It's not, well, not really. It's about those 3 babies, 1 boy and 2 girls when they are older and basically how their lives end up intertwined. I just gotta say that the author is a fricking expert on the whole birth, delivery and baby details. I totally appreciated the details and information because ...more
Melanie McKissock
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written novel about the effects people have on one another, particularly liked the depictions of birth and new motherhood, not an easy thing to write about, but Denyse has done a great job. An engrossing story with a surprisingly feel good ending!
Star
Jan 13, 2011 added it
Shelves: owned, free, incomplete
(I won this book from a forum giveaway.)

(I am holding off on reading until I have the time to.)
Becky
rated it it was ok
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I Toss Till Dawn
  • How I Planned Your Wedding: The All-True Story of a Mother and Daughter Surviving the Happiest Day of Their Lives
  • Savage Bay (Titan Six, #1)
  • Absolute Obsession (The Absolute Series, #1)
  • From the Dead
  • Persistence of Memory
  • Blood and Sunlight: A Maryland Vampire Story
  • The Blood Moon of Winter
  • Stone Lover (Stone Passions, #1)
  • Tamed
  • Magic of the Loch
  • Dante's Journey
  • The Character
  • Whips, Cuffs, and Little Brown Boxes (Lilly M., #1)
  • Enticement
  • The 27s: The Greatest Myth of Rock & Roll
  • Ancient Whispers
  • The Eiffel Tower's Daughter:The Truth Behind the Lies
Dee lives in the South of England in a home otherwise filled with males – husband, boys and pets – she writes to escape the testosterone.

She writes using the name D.J. Kirkby and Dee Kirkby. Dee is the author of Without Alice, My Dream of You, My Mini Midwife, the Special Deliveries series, Realand, Raffie Island and Queendom (The Portal Series for 7 - 11 year olds), and The Rules.

Dee can be found