Start by marking “The Book of Faeries: A Guide to the World of Elves, Pixies, Goblins, and Other Magic Spirits” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Here's a charming and inspirational guide to the history and folklore surrounding faeries, and an examination of the meanings that these mythic beings have acquired in many cultures. Tradition defines faeries according to different general categories, which include nature spirits, helpers, tricksters and seducers, and angelic faeries. The author summarizes the long history ...more
Published April 1st 2002 by Barron's Educational Series (first published March 31st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Faeries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Faeries

Kate
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dark-Draco
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mythology
This is a sweet little book to read. The best bit are the beautiful illustrations that accompany the text - there is a lot to look at in each one and some made me smile. A few of the entries were new to me, but overall I didn't learn a huge amount from reading this, but it whiled away a few idle moments!
Cathy
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-for-fun
This was a cute book to read. The pages have delightful illustrations and the layout of the text on each page is unconventional but still easy to read. The information is indexed in a way to be fairly easy to find the type of faerie/little people you are interested in. I thoroughly enjoyed my romp through the land of Tir Na N'Og- the land of the ever young!
Kendra
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pretty little book of faeries, in all their different forms. Breaks down in to chapters by elementals, good faeries with a few specifically, bad faeries specifically, angelic faeries, and recipes, spellworks.

Colorful and light-hearted.
Alice
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I dont like all the art.. but maybe thats me being snooty..
I like the mermaid section: "..a classic example of male projection, involving a fear of archetypal, elemental femininity." and "There is clearly a reconciliation necessary."
Janie
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
an interesting insight into the faerie world, from djinn to devas.
Suzanne
Oct 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Yes Karina, I still believe in faeries :)
Lesley
Dec 14, 2010 rated it liked it
It was informative and everything I read was new to me but I think it's more a book for younger readers and just for fun as opposed to a book used for information purposes.
Pixie
Nov 27, 2012
Lizette
Apr 24, 2016
Colleen
rated it did not like it
Jun 14, 2016