Start by marking “Baseball Ballerina” as Want to Read:
Baseball Ballerina

Baseball Ballerina (Baseball Ballerina)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  120 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Illus. in full color. A shortstop in a tutu? Not if she can help it! Forced by her mother into taking ballet lessons, a die-hard tomboy discovers that there's team spirit at the barre as well as on the baseball diamond.
Published February 25th 1992 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published February 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Baseball Ballerina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baseball Ballerina

Jamie Winslow
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
A young girl loves to play baseball for his team the Sharks but her mother thinks she needs to do more girly things and makes her take ballet. She does not like ballet. Her best friend Mary Ann is also on her baseball team and in her ballet class. A recital is approaching and Mary Ann gets picked to be the Queen Dandilion. Mary Ann starts to like ballet while her friend still prefers baseball. She does not want her baseball team to find out she takes ballet and worries they will not want her on ...more
Natalie Pietro
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
I remember my dad bring this book home for me and being so excited to give it to me. He knew I loved dance, being his little ballerina and he all ways made me play softball even though I was never any good at it.
This book has me writin all over it. We sat on the couch like normal and read. Me reading my book and him reading his. I laugh now, I finished it in one sitting and remembering that look on my dads face when I told him I completed the book. "I just bought you that book. You can't be done
Colleen Moran
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a good book to read for grades 1-3. It is about a girl who is forced to try ballet instead of playing baseball. It has a great lesson about if you never try something you will never know if you like it or not. It encourages students to try new things and gain new experience. It also teaches children to accept everyone no matter what their individual interests are.
Kristen Collins
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd
I really like the fact that this book addresses gender roles. I have read sooo many books about little girls being ballerinas and this is honestly refreshing. The main character is a strong and simple female character who would rather play ball than dance.
Claudia
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is about a baseball player whose mom wants her to do ballet because baseball is for both. She gets to do both but herself and Mary Ann, who is also on the baseball team are worried that their baseball team is going to make fun of them for doing ballet. They are worried that they are going to look like wimps in front of their baseball team. Throughout the book the main character is constantly dreading going to ballet and does not want to perform in front of everyone. She eventually lear ...more
Lauren
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn’t appreciate the gender stereotyping of baseball vs ballet.
Madeline Feldman
Baseball Ballerina is a great beginning chapter book for students who are ready to transition out of only pictures books to something more challenging that feels like a more grown up book. The story follows the main character, a young girl, who loves playing baseball. Unfortunately for her, her mother thinks that all girls should dance ballet and is forced to take ballet lessons with her terrible teacher. We watch as she tries to hide her ballet lessons from her baseball teammates and feel for h ...more
Amanda Blackwell
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this book a young girl loves to play baseball for her team, the Sharks. Her mom “wants her to do more girl things” so she takes ballet. She is afraid that her teammates on the Sharks will figure out that she takes ballet classes. When she realizes that her ballet class is having a recital and her teammates show up she worries about what they will think.

The author and illustrator are both females and in their book they present different stereotypes that girls should be doing ballet because it
John Kropewnicki
Jun 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
As a father of a young girl I find this book so frustrating.

Within the first 5 pages, the mother tells the girl that she is not girly enough,
that she needs to wear more pink, and takes her from something that she enjoys and is good at (baseball, she is even the shortstop) and put her in an unfamiliar situation (ballet).

Two girls join ballet, the good blond girl starts to enjoy dance and becomes the prima ballerina in the recital wearing a crown prancing around as a queen.

Also it is so stupid th
Alison
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book!!! This book takes away gender stereotypes, and allows girls to believe they can do anything they put their minds to. This would be a great read aloud book, or an at home read. This is a great book for a third grade student to read independently as well. The illustrations are fun and encouraging, and although it is a chapter book the vocabulary is not to difficult for a struggling reader. I love that the girl character in the book plays baseball and doesn't want practice dancing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Froggy Plays Soccer
  • Detective Dinosaur
  • The Bike Lesson
  • Dinosaur Time
  • Cat Traps (Step-Into-Reading, Step 1)
  • Be Who You Are
  • Show me the Honey (Dr. Seuss/Cat in the Hat)
  • All Tutus Should Be Pink
  • Mr. Silly
  • Barbie: A Fairy Secret (Barbie)

Baseball Ballerina (2 books)
  • Baseball Ballerina Strikes Out! (Step-Into-Reading, Step 3)