Start by marking “Simon's Cat: Beyond the Fence (Simon's Cat, #2)” as Want to Read:
Simon's Cat: Beyond the Fence (Simon's Cat, #2)

Simon's Cat: Beyond the Fence

(Simon's Cat #2)

Last year, Simon's Cat was tipped by many to be the dark horse of the Christmas season. It didn't disappoint. Simon's Cat was published simultaneously in 25 countries and sold over 125,000 copies in hardcover.

This year Simon Tofield returns with a charming follow-up, which sees the adorable but incorrigible cat embark on a series of adventures beyond the garden fence. Shar

Published October 7th 2010 by Canongate Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Simon's Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Simon's Cat

Wallbanger by Alice ClaytonPlaying for Keeps by R.L. MathewsonSeduction and Snacks by Tara SivecTangled by Emma ChasePerfection by R.L. Mathewson
Funny as Hell!
2,222 books — 6,174 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen
Great Cat Books
1,486 books — 862 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Simon's Cat: Beyond the Fence (Simon's Cat, #2)
Juli
Anyone who is owned by a cat should read this book of wonderful cat cartoons. This book is a follow up to Tofield's first book: Simon's Cat. The cat is back....and hilarious. Simon's cat fights with other cats, stalks birds, eats bugs, spills the litter box, battles tape and other situations that will make cat owners chuckle and nod their heads.

The artwork is cute, and arranged in the book to be like a story. Not every page is a rip-snorter, but every page is cute, with some being uproariously f
Jason
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
The angriest naughtiest cat is back! Anybody who has a cat will surely see something of their cat in this book, with the possible exceptions of those who own one of the weird bald cats. For my cat Simon Tofield has captured my cats constant shouting for food, including the shouting at my neighbours.

In this book the cat gets a bath and is so angry he packs some food and leaves home. He then has an adventure meeting lots of new creatures and managing to annoy them all, my favourite was him throwin
Caro
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cats, comics
The main problem with Comic books... They finish so fast!!!
Hildur
Dec 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cat owners
Recommended to Hildur by: my boyfriend's sister
Simon's Cat doesn't always succeed to be funny. The drawings are very cute, however, and I guess that's where most people get their enjoyment from the book.

I like that there's a consistensy in the plot, which isn‘t very common with this sort of picture books. The book has a beginning, middle and end. Still, some pages just seem to be filler material that don‘t really have anything on them that's interesting. Then there are a lot of other pages with jokes that just don‘t hit the mark for me.

Some
Diana
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Many of the things Simon's cat does remind me of things my own cats do. I wish my library had more of this author's books.
Xanthi
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just love Simon’s artistic style. In this book, we get treated to his take on all sorts of animals, other than the ones that have featured in his previous work. The humour gets a little dark here and there but overall this book is a lot of fun, as we follow the Cat on his adventures beyond his backyard and into the countryside.
Michael
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Simon's cat is back in his latest adventure and this time he is going beyond the fence. Yes are favorite animated cat is going on a great adventure. Along the way he will encounter all manner of animals including bunnies, dogs, other cats and even a garden gnome. Typically he either wants to eat or cause mischief wich is exactly what he does and as a result causes more bellylaughs then you can poke a stick at. Although in my humble opinion not as funny as the original book it is still highly ent ...more
Tamara
Simon's cat with tape stuck on his paw and Simon's cat trying to fit himself into a box much smaller than his body size allows were my two favorite illustrations/pages.

The "beyond the fence" part was harder for me to identify with, as my kitties don't have much experience in the outside world...
Zibbernaut
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Love the art of Simon's Cat, it's so adorable--but I'm used to having something to read in comics. I was surprised to see there was no dialogue or thoughts or even titles to the pieces in this book, and I think that's a neat way to do it, but I also think that I prefer a bit of guidance that words provide.

I also think I would have liked one of the other Simon's Cats books better to start on, because a cat in the house with their owner is more relateable to me than zany adventures of a runaway c
Social_Sloth
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sohan Surag
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Simons Cat animated and thought to pick this up. I liked the strips going from page to page and some really made me chuckle but some just didnt click with me. Something tells me that I would have absolutely loved this had I been 10 years old. So this one will be going to my son. Hope he'll enjoy it more than me.

With that said, its a beautiful hardcover and the
unconventional dimensions and blown out artwork is truly gorgeous to look at. Really looks great on the bookshelf.
Lora
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the youtube videos, but this was a very enjoyable alternative. It's not really a story, and it has no text. It's a series of visual anecdotes about what Simon's cat gets up to when he is in the woods or on the farm, interacting with other animals. I picked it up every time I had a few spare moments to read, and I chuckled out loud virtually every session.
Adrian
This tie-in book, to the hugely popular Simon's Cat short videos, sees the unruly cat up to his usual mischief. This volume sees him exploring the back garden and beyond and meeting a host of new friends. I was pleasantly surprised about the amount of hedgehogs featured, although once again the 'flea ridden' myth was propagated. A fun little book that firmly joins the bathroom books.
Nate
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: visual-books
Cute cat going on an adventure, meeting new friends and getting into mischief. Takes 10-20 mniutes to get through all in all, and all pictures are pleasant to look at. Most intentions were made clear, yet not a single word is present in the book.
Cat Gray
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I adore Simon’s Cat!
In this book, the cat ventures out into he great big world beyond his home and gets into a
Few scrapes and makes some interesting new friends. The illustrations are just wonderful and tell a whole, detailed story. Some of them are downright hilarious!
Peyton
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love challenging myself by reading books with no words. Simon`s Cat is based on the videos by Simon Tofield about his cats. The graphic novels take the videos and turn them into individual images. I enjoy looking at each page and finding all the little details that add to the story the picture shows. How much can be expressed with only a black pen? A lot. These books were quick reads and a perfect way to mix up my reading materials. ...more
Judy Egnew Ness
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simon Tofield knows cats. And he knows life with cats can be frustrating. And he knows it can be funny. The drawings are great. The humor is also great.
Melissa Bennett
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable book about a cat. Very cute and enjoyable artwork. Definitely a lot of relatable scenes that made me chuckle out loud. Recommended for any cat lover out there.
Hel
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No words needed to explain how cute and funny Simon's Cat is.
Jeff Suter
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amusing - especially if you have cats yourself. And we find out what really creates crop-circles.
Jo
I think I'd enjoy this one more if I hadn't seen so many of the punch lines in the YouTube videos. Definitely recommend books first, videos second.
Anneka
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Just not my cup of tea. If it had been longer, I probably wouldn’t have finished it.
Lois
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Simon's cat is so adorable.
Rebecca
I love reading the "Simon's Cat" books (although there's still some controversy going on in our house as to whether one can truly 'read' a book that contains no words other than its title and dedication); but, whether what I'm actually doing is reading or just looking, I can honestly say they are some of my most-loved and well-thumbed-through coffee table books. "Beyond the Fence" suffers a little by comparison to Books #1 and #3 in that Simon himself is only in a few of the cartoons. This happe ...more
Batsap
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
I love Simon's Cat - he's so adorable. And the hedgehogs are awesome.
I liked that this book followed a storyline as well, although I preferred some of the random cartoons with Simon's cat in the house, as the cartoons afterwards sometimes seemed to drop humour in favour of telling the story. But Simon's cat was adorable throughout of course. He's so mean to the other animals! One-eyed farm cat was cute.
I kind of wanted it to end with the cat coming back to Simon's house absolutely filthy and hav
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love Simon's Cat!!

In this book, Simon decides that it's time to leave home. How dare Simon give Kitty a bath? How dare he!!

So, off he runs and with the help of the hedies and the gnome he packs his bag and goes out to explore for some new digs.

He runs into some very funny adventures (and we learn how crop circles are made)

But in the end, Kitty learns there's no place like home.

And I adored Kitty's adventures in the US. Especially him and the beaver :) That one is my fav!

This book is great for
James
Dec 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

I had never come across Simon's Cat before so I didn't know what to expect. There are some moments of absolute comic genius - milking the cow for example. Overall I found it was a mixed bag and I found some things just not that funny. That's the thing with humour though - what a person finds funny is a personal thing. My wife found the book as a whole funnier than I did. In the main it entertained me for an hour but I would have preferr
Dolly
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading cat cartoons
Entertaining collection of cartoons featuring cats and other animals. All of the cartoons are wordless, so the humor comes from the animated way the animals interact and the funny expressions. Our oldest borrowed this book from her elementary school library and really loved it, so I thought I'd peruse the pages, too. It's a fun, fast read.

The front cover advertised the fact that the YouTube videos featuring this cat were very popular, so I watched a few; they are very cute and really reflect typ
Ashley
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of these comics and an even bigger fan of the youtube videos! I love seeing the inspiration for the videos, and I love imagining how he will make videos from his comics. I've had a wonderful time sharing both this and the first book with my friends. The perfect little book for the cat lover with just enough time to have a quick laugh, but not enough to actually sit down and read a book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Book of Bunny Suicides
  • Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Cat-astrophes
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 3
  • Cat Getting Out of a Bag and Other Observations
  • Calling All Witches! The Girls Who Left Their Mark on the Wizarding World (Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts)
  • Poorlier Drawn Lines (Poorly Drawn Lines, #3)
  • The Cherry on Top
  • Poesy the Monster Slayer
  • I'm a Therapist, and My Patient is In Love with a Pedophile: 6 Patient Files From Prison (Dr. Harper Therapy Book 2)
  • Toby's Room (Life Class, #2)
  • I'm a Therapist, and My Patient is a Vegan Terrorist: 6 Deadly Social Media Influencers (Dr. Harper Therapy Book 3)
  • Warrior's Return (Warriors Manga: Graystripe's Trilogy, #3)
  • Warrior's Refuge (Warriors Manga: Graystripe's Trilogy, #2)
  • Heart and Brain: An Awkward Yeti Collection
Simon started drawing cartoons at an early age and went to study Graphics and Animation at De Montfort University. He has a great interest in British wildlife, painting, the great outdoors and of course cats. He now works in London as an animator and director at Tandem Films.
Simon lives in Bedfordshire with this three cats: Hugh, Maisie, Jess and Teddy.

Simon's Cat (6 books)
  • Simon's Cat (Simon's Cat, #1)
  • Simon's Cat in Kitten Chaos (Simon's Cat, #3)
  • Simon's Cat vs. the World (Simon's Cat, #4)
  • Simon's Cat Off to the Vet . . . and Other Cat-astrophes (Simon's Cat, #5)
  • Simon's Cat: It's a Dog's Life (Simon's Cat, #6)