Start by marking “A Child's Introduction to Ballet: The Stories, Music, and Magic of Classical Dance” as Want to Read:

Ballet dancers of all ages love the mesmerizing stories of the world's great ballets, and in this charmingly illustrated book plus music CD, younger readers will enjoy fun facts, dancing how-tos, some history behind the dances and compositions, plus profiles of famous ballerinas and dancers while listening to excerpts of classical music.

From Swan Lake and The Nutcracker to
Published April 30th 2007 by Black Dog & Leventhal

Jessie
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, dance
There were more synopses of ballet stories here than in a lot of other intro ballet books I've read, and I liked the emphasis on history and music.

There's a CD accompanying the book, and the book suggests when to listen to what track. It's often a kind of guided listening, putting the music into context or suggesting another piece of music to compare it to.

The synopses were really well done. They tell the story without getting caught in too many details. For some of the stories included here, th
Andrienne
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you have a daughter who is into ballet, or you're just curious about ballet yourself, this is the book to get. I came across this book while doing research for my daughter's party and it just blew me away how detailed it is. I find myself enjoying the history and the whimsical illustrations -- it has more than enough info for a Jeopardy contestant to win the category. It details the stories of some famous ballet performances as well as the music--the book comes with a sample track of ballet m ...more
Shelley
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a great introduction to ballet! I love that it has the simple story synopsis for many different ballets, and includes a musical piece to go along with each of them. All the while introducing different aspects and terms of ballet throughout the book and stories.

One that we can use over and over again
Julia
Nancy
Mar 21, 2013
Kirsten
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book for introducing specific ballets and their plots to children. The CD is a nice addition.
Anna Landmark
Ashley
Feb 13, 2009
christy
Dec 25, 2014
Laura Lee is the author of 20 books. In addition to a large catalog of humorous reference titles such as The Pocket Encyclopedia of Aggravation and Don't Screw It Up, she has written one children's book, A Child's Introduction to Ballet, two novels, Angel and Identity Theft, and Oscar's Ghost, which deals with conflicts between members of Oscar Wilde's circle over his legacy after the playwright's ...more