Start by marking “Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)” as Want to Read:
Secrets and Shadows (13 to Life, #2)

Secrets and Shadows

(13 to Life #2)

Nothing's simple when you run with werewolves. Jess Gillmansen thinks she's seen it all but her eyes are about to be opened to even more danger and a reality far more paranormal than she's suspected. With Jess's realization that the Rusakovas' mother is still alive and imprisoned, the group's choices become harder and trust more important. Lines are drawn and relationships ...more
Published February 15th 2011 by St. Martins Press-3PL

To ask other readers questions about Secrets and Shadows, please sign up.
Megan Jones I personally first read this series from the library but I never bought the books and I stopped going to the library as well a using their online app…moreI personally first read this series from the library but I never bought the books and I stopped going to the library as well a using their online app because I found as I read more the less and less they had the books I wanted. so yes there are a lot of websites that u could read this book from I'm currently reading it from: http://www.freevampirenovels.com/. I just go to the authors and look for Shannon Delany instead of the title.

Other websites that I like are: http://www.8novels.net/
these are the websites I like best, hope you find the book. (less)
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
1,156 books — 7,140 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareDead Reckoning by Charlaine HarrisSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Can't Wait Books For 2011
1,219 books — 6,853 voters

More lists with this book...

Jules
Sep 30, 2010 marked it as to-read
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

END THIS MISERY, YOU CRUEL PEOPLE, AND GIVE ME THE BOOK! O_O
Cynthia (A Blog about Nothing)
Nov 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Secrets and Shadows starts a few weeks from where 13 to Life ended, I was a little disappointed about that because after that huge cliffhanger that 13 to Life left us with, I was dying to know what happened! We do get some recaps from Jessie shortly after the book begins that explains a few things of what happened that night, so I was pretty happy about that.

Even thought the Rusakovas and Jessie had a life-changing night, there was still the normal part of life waiting for Pietr and Jessie at s
Kristy
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Usually when I read this type of YA, paranormal/werewolf/vampire book I am so engorssed I can hardly put it down. I get so wrapped up in the characters, I wind up finishing it in 1 or 2 sittings. Not so much with this one, I really just wanted to quit reading it at times, but I have a very hard time justifying just putting a book down unless it's just horrendous. So, I did finish it, but I am guilty of skimming.

Complaints:
1. There are way too many Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer references and pat-on-the-back moments. I can
Alyssa
I don’t understand books like these. I mean, I do. Usually, the writing is simple, the plot is comprehensible and the characters read off like simple sentences. I understand the books – sorta – but I just don’t get why they sell, why they’re so interesting. Could someone please tell me where the appeal lies in reading a complete rip-off? In controlling, wishy-washy guys? In supposedly-intelligent yet insipid, boring protagonists? In mean girls who get everything they want?

I liked 13 to Life bett
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Ever feel like you're missing something? I was constantly reminded that I'm not a Twi-Hard by the never-ending references to the Saga, especially Breaking Dawn (I think). How can the author refer to things (view spoiler) and not explain them enough for me, someone who only made it half way through New Moon, to understand what the heck you're talking about.

I got the feeling that the editors went over this with a fine toot
Linette
Apr 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
1.5 This. Book. Sucked. Sorry for being so blunt but it's the truth. I only gave this book the extra .5 because of Max, Cat, Amy, and Pietr. A little for Max, Cat, and Amy because they are the only characters in this whole book that I actually liked. A tiny, tiny amount for Pietr because throughout most of the book he had some sense in ignoring Jessica. Until the End. Yeah, I get it. I shouldn't be wishing that. But hello? I can't help it!

First of all-this book is just like Twilight. In the firs
Mary (BookHounds)
**slight spoilers**

The story picks right up after 13 to Life ends and answers a few questions about the cliffhanger ending. It took me about 100 pages to really become interested in the story in this one as well since I had the same issues with the first book. The last two-thirds of the book was a page turner. Of course this one ends with a cliffhanger as well, so be prepared to wait another a year (fingers crossed, maybe later this year?) to read the next installment.

Jess, Cat and Pietr are tr
kate
rated it did not like it
Mar 23, 2013
Amanda-Lee (StoryWings)
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Ms Delany seems to have a serious Twilight complex and it doesn’t bode well with this book.

Jessie is still struggling to come to terms with how her life has been flipped on its head in the past year. Now she also has to deal with the increasing distance Pietr is putting between them whilst still agreeing to help the werewolves release their captured mother.

Jessie seems to have had a complete character change from how I remember her in the first book. She went from being a likeable, seemingly int
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

Secrets and Shadows is nothing I expected it to be as it is full of twists and turns and nothing is what it seems. Shannon totally took me on one heck of an emotional roller coaster with this sequel. One minute I want to yell at Pietr and Jess, and the next moment I'm laughing at Max or sighing over Pietr and Max's affection for Jess. Let me just say, there is a lot of that happens in Secrets and Shadows that kept me emotional invested into the story until the very end.

The characters r
Say
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great follow up indeed. Tho I hated Pietr here with all his self loathing, this was way better than the first one. And yup a lot of secrets were indeed revealed. We now know what Derek really is. (view spoiler) and we get a glimpse on Amy's story. And that ending.....poor Jess!

Review May 2011:
at first i had a hard time getting into this book....why? well, i forgot how the story went in the first book and how it ended so i was a lil bit
Jodie
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I have read some reviews on this book that made me laugh so hard I was almost sick, and its because they were right on the money.

This book was so frustrating! But, as embarrassed as I am to admit it, I kinda enjoyed it. I'm not sure if laughing in the serious moments was the desired outcome, but anything that makes me giggle is worth it for me. It got better.

If you have seen any reviews that compare these first 2 books to Twilight/New Moon, they aren't kidding. Only Edward is a werewolf. True.
Primero
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
*Spoilers*

Pietr thought he was protecting Jess by pushing her away. He might forget that he wasn't the only threads Jess got. Not to mention, while he thought he "physically" protecting her, he "mentally hurting" her by dating her best friend who was a former phycho-b***h, Sarah. I kind of think she deserved it because she's the one who pushed Pietr away in the first place.

Jess thought Pietr didn't want her anymore and tried to move on. Later, around the last two chapter or so, Pietr revealed th
Read for your future!
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-fhs
Read Destinys 4.5 Star review here:
Phia
Sep 03, 2010 marked it as to-read
Cover is pretty, I like how it's related to the first book! Can't wait to read this.
Rachel
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Jessie’s been having nightmares. After everything that she witnessed, everything that she did that night, she expected them. She just wished they would stop. That she could make peace with everything that happened.

She wanted things to return to the way they used to be. Before she met Pietr Rusakova and his family. Before the accident that took her mother from her. Where her only heartache was having a crush on Derek. And the only excitement in her life came from entering competitions with her ho
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: werewolves
Original Review Posted by Rabid Reads at: http://rabid-reads.blogspot.com/2011/05/review-secrets-and-shadows-by-shannon.html

I expected this book to be full speed ahead after the way 13 to Life ended but Shannon Delany maintained the same slow leisurely pace in this second installment much to my disappointment. The first book set the foundation for this series so a lot of world-building was to be expected but Secrets and Shadows should have been all about the action but instead, it's just more of
Cristy
SECRETS AND SHADOWS, the second book of the 13 to life series picks up right were the first book leaves off. Jess is trying to deal with all that she has recently learned about the Russian boy she loves and his family. Adjusting to the knowledge that they are werewolves is not the only drama of her newly oh so complicates love life.. She has to come to terms with the fact she has killed a man, albeit in self-defense, but sill traumatic on the psyche none the less. There's also the issue of the ...more
Kristen My Bookish Fairy Tale
The amazing story of the Rusakova's and Jessie continue with the sequel to 13 to Life. If we thought there were complications and trouble in the first book we haven't seen anything yet. The high school drama, CIA drama and friendship drama continue.

Pietr starts to push Jessie away and closer to Sarah and Jessie cannot figure out why. She know's Pietr's secret and has sworn to protect the family secret but it doesn't seem to be enough because Pietr has cut himself off from Jessie completely.
As
Seduced By Books
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
What can I say - - other than young adult needs a new breakout genre - - this book had me on the edge of my seat.

Tension mounts as Delany does it again! I want happiness for Jess, but I don't want the stories to end. So as soon as you think things are falling into place, Delany hits you in a spiral.

Jess is getting walked on, over and stomped...but she keeps rolling on. Her character grows a bit stronger throughout the book, maybe not stronger pursa, but more with it and able to react quicker.
Khalia Hades
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Jess thought everything would finally fall into place. Pietr understood what she wanted from him and what he needed to do with her best friend Sarah. Amy had a love, Sophia was starting to see things, Derek was interested and so much more. Even though Pietr kept pushing himself away from Jessica, she wanted so badly to be with him, and then there was Derek desperate to be with her. Wanting to treat her as the special girl she could be.

Everything twists and turns in this amazing and exciting sequ
Michelle
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
You know, the first book kind of pissed me off with the whole Pietr and Sarah thing. But this one made me furious. How desperate is this little twerp who dares to call herself a "heroine." I mean, every time Pietr tries to push her away what does our intrepid gal do? She kisses him! Obviously he doesn't remember how amazing she is and how he can't resist her and all. And It Fragging Works! Ugh! Gag me with a spoon and toss me something to wash down the nasty taste in the back of my mouth. Nasty ...more
MissHavoc {Cry Havoc! Reviews}
I was in the middle of a book funk when I read this, so I don't mean to offend anyone with my take on this sequel. I was bummed with it. I was hoping for more action and a lot less drama. I can't stand the sort of forced love triangle between Pieter, Jess and Sarah. I mean really? You love the guy but you push him on your psychotic friend? And then get pissed when he starts falling for her? Gag. It's sick and not in a good way. I was also a little bit confused on where we were going on this ride ...more
Drea
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Okay so I just finished reading this book like 10 minutes ago. Let me tell you I absolutely positively love this book.

the main character is amazing and i absolutely love her. Ugh pietr is so irritating but i can't help but love him.

This book shows how jessie gets closer to the family besides pietr and i love it SOOOOO much!!!
epically max!

this book kept me laughing through the whole thing!

and i finally get to know what derek is! i had been wondering about him since the first book!

and the ending m
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Secrets and Shadows takes us deeper into Jessie and Pietr's worlds. Jessie is a believable main character, and I can relate with her reactions, emotions and decisions.
Pietr is still desirable but ever so frustrating. I can understand where he is coming from when more of his reasoning and story comes out, but still!!!!
Max and Cat play more in this story and I like them as much as Jessie.
S&S took a bit to pick up as I remember with 13, but I know that before halfway in I was eager to tur
Beleth
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Me gustó un poco más el libro anterior aunque no ha estado mal y me ha entretenido. Al ser una segunda parte de un JR, la autora tira bastante de los típicos celos y la mítica separación. No me ha gustado que se cite tanto Crepúsculo (¬¬U) y me ha dado la impresión de que hay cosas metidas con calzador (por ej, las actividades "extraescolares", como si montar a caballo no fuera ya sucificente....). Con el final tan *OMG* que tiene, creo que picaré y leeré el tercero.
Marie
Dec 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
Really bad. I actually enjoyed the first one, but this is just...ugh. I might post a rant later, but I don't have the energy right now. In my opinion, I would not waste your time on this series.

CONTENT: Kissing, references to sex, mention of a period. The main character unbuttons her shirt to distract a werewolf that's trying to kill someone, some swearing, no f words, and quite a bit of violence.
Rebecca Jane
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
I really like this book once I got into it. I like the characters and it's an interesting storyline so thats refreshing. I really enjoyed the characters and thought Max was especially funny, I found myself laughing on a number of occasions which is also a good thing. The only thing that annoyed me was the ending. Not because it was bad but because that's just not how I wanted it to go. Can't wait for the next one!!
Ayesha
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ohhhhhhh..... What a ride! Heartache and sexytimes and betrayal all leading up to one hell of a cliffhanger! I'm still a touch confused, what with Sophia and Derek, but I'm sure I just need a minute to process. The third book can't come in to the library request line soon enough!

• Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2)
  • Trial by Fire (Raised by Wolves, #2)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • The Savage Grace (The Dark Divine, #3)
  • Wildcat Fireflies (Fenestra, #2)
  • Blessed (Tantalize, #3)
  • Lemniscate (Angel Star, #2)
  • Shadowspell (Faeriewalker, #2)
  • Low Red Moon
  • Half Moon
  • Magic of the Moonlight (Full Moon, #2)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Shadow of the Moon (Dark Guardian, #4)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Haunted (Dreaming Anastasia, #2)
  • Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2)
  • The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group
  • Bloodborn (Other, #2)
Shannon Delany's newest novel, WEATHER WITCH (St. Martin's Press) is already available for pre-order (which both stuns and delights Delany)!

Shannon Delany has written stories since she was a child. She began writing in earnest when her grandmother fell unexpectedly ill during a family vacation. In 2008 her greatly abbreviated version of 13 to Life (written in just five weeks) won the grand prize i

13 to Life (5 books)
  • 13 to Life (13 to Life, #1)
  • Bargains and Betrayals (13 to Life, #3)
  • Destiny and Deception (13 to Life, #4)
  • Rivals and Retribution (13 to Life, #5)
“Yes. Da,' I corrected.
'Say it again.'
'What?"'
His voice grew husky as he repeated his request. 'Say yes—in Russian—again.'
I blushed. 'Da,' I whispered. 'Will you teach me more Russian, Pietr?'
'Mmm, only the important words,' he promised.
I bit back my request for the three most important words to me. 'What words would you teach me?'
'Pocelujte menyah.'
'What's that mean?'
He groaned. 'Repeat it tonight and perhaps I will show you.”
59 likes
“Max,' I said, looking up at him, 'I love the Russian heritage you guys are so willing to share, but I'm not so thrilled with the French.'
'What?' His brows lowered. 'We're not French.'
'Great. So the next time you feel the need to kiss me, keep your tongue out of my mouth!”
43 likes