Start by marking “Pretty Monsters [Part 1]” as Want to Read:
Pretty Monsters [Part 1]

Pretty Monsters [Part 1] (Pretty Monsters #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A lonely boy in bungalow 6 is taunted by the other kids on camp. Then he meets a monster in the snow, a monster with a sense of humour. He is the only one to talk to it, but only after it has eaten the rest of bungalow 6. Dorn misses his soccer match when his father kidnaps him to be held in quarantine under machine-gun guard in Costa Rica-while they wait for the aliens to ...more
Published May 31st 2010 by Text Publishing (first published May 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Monsters [Part 1], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Monsters [Part 1]

Kat
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This collection took me completely by surprise. I was expecting to finish it in a day, but it took me two weeks. I was expecting more... werewolves? Only one out of the five stories did I fall in love with within the first two pages or so, but even when I thought I was enjoying a story (Pretty Monsters?), I ended up changing my mind right at the end of the story. My least favourite is The Surfer, though there are some cool politix going on in there, and my favourite was The Constable of Abel for ...more
Clare Snow
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
After loving The Wrong Grave I was very excited to get my paws on Pretty Monsters, again with illustrations, sorry decorations, by Shaun Tan.
"Better run away, Darcy. Because evil Cinderella is coming to get you."

I don’t know why I read "The Cinderella Game" first. Because it was last and I needed some backwards in my life? Perhaps I had premonitions of fairytales in my future. I didn’t quite get it, but all I needed was some time for contemplation and the realization that these stories don’t end
Jessica Armstrong
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Review also on How to Rule an Asteroid

I can't bring myself to give this book a one out of five stars – I just can't. Maybe it's because I bought the book based on the absolutely stunning cover. It's so pretty! The pages are even lined in black, which I never see done in the world of fiction. I love looking at it on the shelf – and only a select few know (and now you do, too!) that my copy is both upside down and backwards.

I thought to myself – Neil Gaiman gave the book (or perhaps just Link her
Sonja
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: swedish
Jag har definitivt funnit en ny favorit i Kelly Link, för hennes ostoppbara fantasi och familjära, avslappnade sätt att skriva. Varje novell verkar fungera efter sina egna regler, med tillhörande prosastilar och intern logik. Det gör att slutet på varje har varierande nivå av förutsägbarhet. Detta, samt de underliga situationerna och att karaktärerna noggrant utforskas bit för bit, driver en framåt.

Flera historier var jag besviken över att jag inte fick läsa vidare på när de tog slut, men den s
Susanne
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
(Part one of two of the Swedish translation of Pretty Monsters)
When I got this book in a book swap during a dinner with some fellow book bloggers I didn’t realize that this was the book that was going to pull me out of the non-reading doldrums I’ve been in for near half a year now. I’ve started books but none has been finished, except, finally, this one. I read the most of it on the train towards Uppsala where I hoped to get it signed and the end the morning after.
This book is like a box of del
Monika
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Noveller är något jag gillar att ta till när jag läst ut en bok tidigt på dagen så att jag har något att läsa innan jag ska sova. Jag vill ju inte gärna påbörja en ny roman vid sängdags och då passar en kort novell perfekt. Den här novellsamling är tydligen första delen av Kelly Links novellsamling Pretty monsters, som på engelska gavs ut som en bok. Det verkar lite onödigt att ge ut den som två på svenska, det är ganska tunna böcker, men nu är det så i alla fall. Läs mer på http://bokslut.blogs ...more
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fantasy-scifi
A wonderfully weird collection of fantasy short stories. Link is definitely like no one else out there, though there is some flavor in her writing that reminded me of Margo Lanagan. She is equally adept at writing fantasy that takes place in the real world as in other worlds, and everything about her stories is unexpected. I can't say I always understood it, but I loved the sense of dislocation leading to some hidden truth.
Chelsea
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I find Kelly Link's writing intriguing. I will definitely be reading more of her work, and I am generally not a reader of short stories. Reading these stories felt like seeing into a strange world through a very small hole. There is a lot that is left to the reader to intepret as they will. My favourite story was the first one "Monster", which I found terrifying in the same way that "Coraline" is terrifying. Yes, definitely intriguing.
Ben Thurley
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
While I didn't find this quite as compelling as her first collection, The Wrong Grave, this is still a fine collection of stories in which our familiar worlds and fears (monsters, disease, love and loss) are viewed through a prism, cracked and askew. And, as with the first collection, it manages to be funny and moving as well as dark and strange.
Doon
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not usually into short story collections, but this was one of my favourites. The stories are genuinely inventive, and about half of them are so good I would have read a novel length story about those characters. I was my first Kelly Link book but I definitely plan to read more.
Jim Krotzman
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the way combines fantasy, reality, and horror in the same stories. Link's are very difficult to predict.
frkvinter
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review in swedish here
Gary
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Frame stories, chain link stories - it's fun - look, I'm writing!
Julia Steffen
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Turns out even if I think a write is immensely talented, I just don't want to read YA.
Anna
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Each story started out interesting and exciting and page turning.... And then all the endings were disappointing. Not terrible, but a let down.
Jacqui Hencsie
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection of stories, more so than Link's other book I have read (Stranger Things Happen). I would honestly read a whole series of books based on "The Wizards of Perfil"
Beth Filar Williams
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved this collection of stories! Unique, creative with a touch of magic. I am ready to search right now and see if Kelly link has more stories, a new favorite author.
Karen
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Spooky and charming! Delightfully written.
Liv Michaelson
Mar 29, 2013
Collyn
Apr 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Kelly Link is an American author best known for her short stories, which span a wide variety of genres - most notably magic realism, fantasy and horror. She is a graduate of Columbia University.

Her stories have been collected in four books - Stranger Things Happen, Magic for Beginners, Pretty Monsters, and most recently, Get in Trouble.
She has won several awards for her short stories, including th
More about Kelly Link...

Pretty Monsters (2 books)
  • The Wrong Grave

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)