Start by marking “Breakthrough Advertising” as Want to Read:
Breakthrough Advertising

Breakthrough Advertising

This is not a book just for copywriters and other advertising experts but a book for every business owner, marketing expert or anyone who needs to increase sales.

The reason why is because it deals with how to channel the forces in the marketplace which control sales.

Put simply, Gene's book addresses the universal problem of all copywriting: How to write a headline — and an
Published 2004 by Bottom Line Books (first published 1966)

Peter
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I sometimes get stuck when writing anything.
I keep this book on top of Webster's English Usage.
I finally have found a book that lays out the critical tool set useful to the copywriter. When I get myself stuck or feel like I am in a corner, I will take a quick flip through this book and suddenly POP! the door is open!
You know what I mean.
I highly recommend this book.
Pascal Wagner
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal book to break down the elements of copywriting.
At first this book will seem overwhelming but the more I read it, the more my copy improves.
I will definitely be rereading this several times over the next year.
Steve Roller
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A classic book on copywriting and advertising that I try to re-read every year or two. This book is more highlighted and underlined than any other book I own.
Martin Hamilton
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eugene proves people never change. Times may change and technology but the inner soul of humans will not. What worked in Caesars time still works today. The main thing this book portrayed is how most things are just a recreation of something that has already been created. The problems people have with marketing are mainly how to get attention and keep the interest of the reader or viewer. Eugene explains how to do this while making your product unique even though your audience is aware it may be ...more
Cnd
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only reason it's 4/5 is because this book is very outdated. The concepts are timeless but uses old language/examples. Luckily human nature has not changed much since the writing. I had to translate the knowledge into modern language and have applied the concepts in digital marketing... Especially helpful in identifying and breaking down market segments, split testing, and improving copy.
Malick
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: selling
wow. great book. best book on copywriting and marketing ive ever read.
Todd Brown
One of the best marketing books of all time.
Υπάτιος Βαρελάς
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Amazing book! One of the top classics in ad copywriting. 70+ years old but still useful!

Eugene M. Schwartz goes into the detail of copywriting for printed ads for newspapers, magazines and direct mail business. There was no Internet back at his time and I believe that most people didn't even own a TV set. However, it's a wonderful book full of good, detailed advice on how to write successful ads and most of the principles can be still applied today.

It really opened my eyes and helped me realize
Ned
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book is written several decades ago and it talks about the state of advertisement at that time. However, you the important topics are still relevant today. Great summary of all the hooks and explanation of the methods to make someone to read an ad. If you are in the ad business it will help you improve your copy writing and if you are on the consumer side you will understand the hooks that are being used on you in every ad.
Kalin Stanislavov
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
No matter how much this book costs, get it. Scrape the money together. Even the people who read it a few times still do not comprehend the power of the knowledge given in this book. This is a clinic on persuasion in print.At one point costed 900$ in Amazon because it was out of print.Breakthrough Advertising is back in print : https://www.breakthroughadvertisingbo... just 125$ for this gold mine book.

Bruce Harpham
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
What an outstanding book! For years, I have seen the book described as a must-read for copywriters. Fortunately, Brian Kurtz (www.briankurtz.me) has brought the book out again in a great hardcover edition.

I expect this is a business book that will reward multiple readings. It is dense with insight and has stood the test of time since its success in the 1960s.
Don Sevcik
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing

And like most great books, they come from older times. This book will shave years off your learning curve.
Jan Brinkmann
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just read it the first time. Probably going to read it again soon. There are so many informations... literally valuable insights till the last pages.

Thanks to Brian Kurtz to make this book affordable again.
Toma
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best copywriting book I've ever read. In a field where you could go any direction with your copy, it gives you a map to make better decisions by understanding your market and your competition.
Teresa
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Out of date and tired marketing techniques that I read for a client. Only useful for clickbait types of ads online. Not recommended unless you honestly don't know anything about marketing. Don't fall for the fact that it's overpriced on Amazon. You can get an online version easily.
Candy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though this book is now decades old, current day copywriters reference it ALL the time as their go-to book to learn copywriting expertise. I LOVE this book and it has made a huge impact on my own copywriting tasks.
Omar M. Khateeb
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
By far the most sophisticated book on marketing I've ever read. Schwartz was ahead of his time! A big take away from this book is that it is not the job of the marketer to create desire. Rather, you must unearth already existing desires and channel them into action towards your product/service.
Alex Obradovic
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books on advertising
Yuvrajsinh
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you're in any of these fields, go, buy this book, and read it. It will change your views.

- Marketing
- Advertising
- Selling
- Non-fiction writing
Yva
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
THE BEST book on marketing and adversing ever written. Period.
Chungsoon Haw
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many great nuggets (granted that I'm just started down my copywriting journey). Definitely a book I will have to go back to in the future
Miguel Braga
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: copywriting
Very good book, specially the phases of Market Sophistication. Not necessary a book for beginners.
Gaël Reignier
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding content.
It should be a must read for any serious copywriter and business owner
Odolena Kostova
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book, a real classing for marketers. It talks about ad techniques from the 1920-1960ies - you must use fantasy on how to adapt this to nowadays. Still most principles are absolutely valid.
Steven Lewis
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My copy cost me over $100 and was worth 10 times more.
Josh Raymer
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book every copywriter must read. Every page is packed with tricks of the trade, examples of effective ads, and great insight from a true master.
Brian  Ambrosini
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the better advertising books I've ever read. Got a little complex at the end, so definitely need 2+ reads to understand the message.
Sariya
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ناشر هذا الكتاب يزعم أنه جلب الملايين للأشخاص الذين قرؤوا هذا الكتاب.

مع أنني مررت على الكثير من أمثال هذه الجملة التي فقدت معناها والتي أنا صرت واثقاً أن الوحيد الذي يجني هذه الملايين هو المؤلف نفسه. لكن في حالة هذا الكتاب تحديداً أنا أوافق الناشر 100%، هذا الكتاب على الأقل سيضيف صفراً إلى مكاسبك السنوية.

مؤلف الكتاب هو كاتب إعلاني لرسائل البريد المباشرة. مهنة تبيع المنتجات عن طريق رسالة بريد. هذه المهنة لا ترحم، إذ لا يوجد لمساعدتنا محل يعرض البضاعة لتظل تتذكره كلما مررت بجانبه، ولا موظفين لتتفا
Brian
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Essential
Jenn
Jul 03, 2012 added it
Hard to review because I read this more for professional growth and career development than personal enjoyment. I would definitely recommend this to anyone in copywriting and advertising. My advice would be to look past the fact that the book is tailored more towards direct mail order and older advertisement and focus on the main tenants, which certainly carry over to the present time.
  • How to Write a Good Advertisement: A Short Course in Copywriting
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • The Ultimate Sales Letter: Attract New Customers. Boost Your Sales
  • My Life in Advertising and Scientific Advertising
  • Great Leads: The Six Easiest Ways To Start Any Sales Message
  • The Boron Letters
  • Ca$hvertising: How to Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make BIG MONEY Selling Anything to Anyone
  • The Wizard of Ads
  • The Sticking Point Solution: 9 Ways to Move Your Business from Stagnation to Stunning Growth InTough Economic Times
  • Web Copy That Sells: The Revolutionary Formula for Creating Killer Copy Every Time
  • Winning Through Intimidation
  • Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Persuasion
  • Kick-Ass Copywriting Secrets of a Marketing Rebel
  • The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era
  • Guerrilla Publicity: Hundreds of Sure-Fire Tactics to Get Maximum Sales for Minimum Dollars
  • Ogilvy on Advertising