Start by marking “Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  1,914 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
In the years following the publication of Patrick Lencioni's best-seller The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, fans have been clamoring for more information on how to implement the ideas outlined in the book. In Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team, Lencioni offers more specific, practical guidance for overcoming the Five Dysfunctions--using tools, exercises, assessments ...more
Published June 3rd 2010 by Jossey-Bass (first published May 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team

المدرب محمد الملا
A really successor for the "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team" book

Informative, Clear, simple, Direct and work reading

This book can be read by spectlist in team building Team leaders and mangers, more then any other readers

But, reader should be aware that there is more about team building then this book .. more to be aware of about teams is out there

Regards
Tõnu Vahtra
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Clarity - The elimination of assumptions and ambiguity from a situation.
Mining for conflict - A facilitation skill that requires an individual to extract buried disagreements within a team and bring them to the surface.
Teamwork - The state achieved by a group of people working together who trust one another, engage in healthy conflict, commit to decisions, hold one another accountable, and focus on collective results.

ABSENCE OF TRUST
Members of great teams trust one another on a fundamental, emot
Patrick
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
One of the problems with reading "must read" books in a field after you've been working for 15 years is that you spend a lot of time saying, "Well, duh, I knew that already!"

Of course, if you can remember what it was like 15 years ago when you started working, you'd say to yourself... "Hmmm... this book would have saved me a lot of headaches if I read it 15 years ago."

If you've never really thought much about team dynamics (or only thought about team dynamics in the "YOU" <-> "TEAM" sense)
Mark
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good, and a fairly quick read. Some Great team insights with good exercises outlined. The core concepts are solid. It's a great book for team members to read because it's not quite as involved as some books are, yet the core attributes of great team participation or "membership" is laid out very well. I'm recommending this to my entire team. This fits seamlessly with Agile and Scrum concepts too yet is not as big of a bite for people who aren't ready for the entire Scrum layout. Extremely u ...more
Melody
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, this is a very book which I do not think got the publicity or attention it should have. It demonstrates how to use applied psychology in the work place to build teams. A good manager know this information, but Patrick does a good job of labeling it and organizing it so that it can be communicated and taught to others. He also does a great job of covering the elements of team building and dysfunction such that even a seasoned manager can learn something from this book.
Jeff Yoak
This book ended up being more or less a repeat of the material in the Five Dysfunctions book, though told in a different style. I suspect either book would be good on its own without the other, though ultimately, I'd prefer the original.
Angela Lam
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leaders, managers, HR, corporate executives
This book is a follow up to the fable 5 Dysfunctions of a Team, covering teamwork (and leadership).

I didn't read the original fable, but I suspect this book covers the bulk of the concepts there + added some actionable tips on how to recognize and overcome the 5 dysfunctions. There are basically 5 sequential levels to be conquered:
1. Building Trust
2. Mastering Conflict
3. Achieving Commitment
4. Embracing Accountability
5. Focusing on Results

Easy book to read, and practical solutions to apply. Goo
Dmitry Potapov
Quite interesting book with it is own model of problem in ther team, that can prevent it from productive work.
If you are searching for something, that may help you make you team more productive and purpusofull - it book may help you. If you interesting in something, that may help you to build you own group from scratch (for example from group of junior engineers) - it is not such kind of book (in my own opinion).
Susan
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I really liked the training I attended on the 5 dysfunctions of a team so I was looking forward to reading this book (which I actually listened to). It was valuable in giving examples and tips for overcoming the five dysfunctions, but it left me wishing I'd read the main book first, in addition to attending the training. I will go back and read that book. And I highly recommend the audiobook- the narrator is excellent.
Erika RS
This was full of great material. I only rate it as 3/5 because it really is little more than an appendix to The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. If you remove the redundant material, it almost could have literally been an appendix despite the slim size of the original. As such, it was a bit of a dull read. However, as a summary of the key ideas and, more importantly, ways to help build a team toward effectiveness, it was a highly valuable supplement.
Mirsen Mutabdzija
Different approach in overcoming modern challenges in organization and managing the business. Everything is covered with apropriate examples, which may lead to improvements of managerial skills to the reader. Warm recommendations to read.
Andria
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The specificity helped me understand the concepts in the fable. This book made the actions clear.
Dara
Helpful. Very actionable, in fact it's appendix is of the most well laid out action plans I've seen. I don't agree with all of his assertions around conflict , but think he makes some good points.
Brian Austin
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed the practical, example filled book
John L. Davis
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must read for anyone serious about leadership development

This. Ok and audio component that accompanied it were invaluable in beginning a plan of leadership development at our company. It is a go-to resource for me.
Cristina
Loved the way P. Lencioni shares the "piramid" of the 5 dysfunctions. Well pointed that everything "sits" on the "lack o trust" ground. I guess it is very good to understand one cannot talk about results, proactivity, customer satisfaction when the basics of every functional team is not met: TRUST.

What resonated with me (and also felt in various times) " the key ingredient to built trust is not time. It is courage". Courage to do what?! To say things like:
- I made a mistake
- I trust you
- I was w
Anand Kumar
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just finished reading “Overcoming the five dysfunctions of a Team” by Patrick Lencioni

I read the first book “Five Dysfunctions of a Team” on suggestion of my boss. It described the possible dysfunctions of a team to achieve results and this book provides a guide to overcome or can say as a field guide which helps you to repair a team or establish a team. This is an amazing book, and a must to read book along with the “Dysfunctions of a team” – it will make your team from good to great. Interesti
Rocky Duran
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great actionable follow up to the fable based "The 5 Dysfunctions of a Team". This title helped action steps in place, as well as share resources and tools to help facilitate change within your team.

Here is what I learned:
1. Teamwork is hard to measure, but if achieved can be your biggest competitive advantage.
2. Trust means different things to different people. The first thing you have to do is agree on the definition of trust within your team.
3. Trust is never complete, it must be maintained
Mike Eccles
I read the associated book a few years ago and was greatly impressed by the fable approach. In fact I read all of Lencioni's books available at that time! I made use of these books and the model it's all about with a business team I was supporting. Their feedback shocked them. The trouble that arose was that the worst component of the model as measured by their own assessment was "Lack of Commitment" and that turned out to be the undoing of the initial survey. They were busy, clever people and w ...more
Jessi
Another look at the five dysfunctions of a team but this time looking at how, once identified (first book), the five dysfunctions can be worked through.
"The ultimate penalty of boring meetings is bad decisions, not to mention water time." Preach it brother!
So - build trust (read the definition), learn to embrace (productive) conflict, make sure that everyone (understands and) is committed to the cause, letting others know what you're doing so they can help keep you accountable, and make sure th
David
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. I think the author gives Myers-Briggs too much validity; however, taking Myers-Briggs together can give a common language to discuss habits and predispositions. Many companies would never take this kind of work on, as it's simply too intrusive. This approach requires real risk and vulnerability from the leadership team. I found the guide quite practical. I definitely walked away feeling this could be a solid basis for a team building initiative which is something more direct that "tr ...more
Ron
Dec 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A useful and practical companion to the original book. There are enough team building exercises to help change s dysfunctional culture. I would have rated it higher if it didn't require as a core exercise the use of a trained facilitator to perform the Myers-Briggs assessment. Most of the ideas and exercises can be implemented without an external consultant but MBTI can't. And because it is foundational to trust, this exercise requires a financial commitment before any previous concepts have bee ...more
Terri
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, library
A little generic, but then again, I've been reading a lot of these professional blah blah books lately. Mostly what I got from this is that you can't force the issue. If you've got a dysfunctional team and the leader doesn't create an environment that demands participation, respect, and team work, no book in the world can change that. The team members have to want to change and work together, and they have to be shown why that is good thing. And that's on the leader to foster and nurture that at ...more
Michael Belcher
Disappointing sales pitch for Lencioni's other products. Lacking scholarly merit, the author relies solely on anecdotal evidence ("its been my experience...") to support his claims. The first and most fraught with concern is his argument that trust is based on vulnerability. Think of those you trust, and ask yourself was it vulnerability or some other attribute (strength, dependability, commonality, or even the strength to be vulnerable) that made you first trust them. Hmm....
Rat Barrel
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For team building, this field guide should be your quiver. Nice hierarchical model to follow with a variety of lessons at each stage. I particularly like the trust dimension, which has a nice 15-20 minute group exercise to work through. Splitting hairs: the author advocates MBTI for behavior profiling but I am more of a Big 5 fan. Still, we are splitting hairs. This is a nice book for every OB practitioner and would come in handy for group facilitating.
Georgi
Няколко интересни теории на какво може да се дължат проблемите в работата и препоръки какво би могъл да предприеме един мениджър.
Засегнатите теми вероятно са генерално приложими. Съветите са явно идеалистични и могат да бъдат приложени единствено абстрактно в българското работно ежедневие.

Въпреки това, моделите сами за себе си са интересни да бъдат опознати и биха могли да послужат за отправна точка на последващи разсъждения по темата.
Badarudheen Kunnathodi
A great book for understanding team psychology and building a strong team foundation. You can build your team code of conduct using this.

Recommended for highly dependent teams such as a startup team.

Five star, because I couldn't find many books that are practical in nature and tackled this field of study. Also, his model is quite structured and easy to follow. Not a scattered book full of jargons.
John
WARNING! If you are not willing to be disciplined and undertake ALL of the explicit instructions that Patrick Lencioni asserts, then you will definitely experience many, if not all of his predicted negative outcomes. This book has the possibility of drastically changing a team for the better and also has the potential for drastically changing a team for the worse.
Mallory
My CEO talks about this book a lot, so I thought I would try it. My library offers online audio books, so I have been listening to it on my phone. Just now discovering there is a second, supplementary manager field guide book...and THAT'S what I have been listening to the whole time. Wish that had been more clear earlier on...
Karla
My 2nd non-fiction book of this year was yet again...a book study pick. This one was an easy read and ultimatly a decent book. It is good for what we are using it for which is team building...so individually it was not that enlightening. Even at the team level much of it is common sense, but good to be reminded to think of things sometimes.
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Helping: How to Offer, Give, and Receive Help
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Quiet Leadership: Six Steps to Transforming Performance at Work
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances
  • Conversational Intelligence: How Great Leaders Build Trust & Get Extraordinary Results
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...
“Ego is the ultimate killer on a team” 4 likes
“Keep in mind that a real team should be spending considerable time together in meetings and working sessions. In fact, it is not uncommon that as much as 20 percent of each team member’s time is spent working through issues and solving problems with the team as a whole. p. 105” 2 likes