Start by marking “Coming Home to Myself” as Want to Read:
Coming Home to Myself

Coming Home to Myself

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  434 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
From the heart of one of the world's most beloved entertainers comes an engaging memoir of professional triumph, private heartbreak, and personal victory. From Wynonna Judd's beginnings as part of the celebrated, multiple-award-winning, platinum-selling duo with her mother Naomi to an equally triumphant solo career to the dramatic turning point that forced the country musi ...more
Published June 5th 2007 by Signet Book (first published September 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Coming Home to Myself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coming Home to Myself

Kellie
It seems a coincidence I read this book within a week of Wynonna filing for divorce from her husband, Roach. This was a pretty good book. To be honest, I am not a big “Judd” fan. However, I have always been intrigued with the Mother and Daughter duet. I always wondered what kind of relationship they really had. I am not surprised of how tumultuous it was. I feel for Wynonna. I think her mother was not very supportive while Wynonna was growing up. Especially since she never revealed who her real ...more
Linda Batey
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding, insightful, brutally honest. I was a Wy fan before, now she's my (s)hero! Any woman, looking for self, will find this a great book.
Ellen
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I probably purchased this autobiography the year it was released. It's been in my "box" library, waiting for a time I wanted something different to read. I had no idea when I checked the copyright date that it would be 12 years and 3 moves before I would get to it. I've always been a Judd's fan and knew there was a lot of turmoil in the relationship between Wy and Naomi but I had no idea! So 12 years after the release of this book a lot has changed for Wy and I kept thinking while reading her bo ...more
Marca
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this autobiography. Behind Wynonna’s strong exterior is a human rife with insecurities. Sometimes we think celebrities have it all, not always realizing that they have many of the same problems we do. As a “weight-challenged” person myself, I empathized with Wynonna’s struggles with her weight. When she discussed how her family had to cut back spending because her finances tanked, I felt I was listening to a neighbor or co-worker talking about how they survived a lay-off. She and her f ...more
Pia
Jan 06, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are some books that I am slightly embarrassed to admit I have read, and this was one of them. The story of Wynonna's meteoric rise to fame is interesting, but Wynonna relies heavily on 12-step jargon and platitudes to explain the complexities of her life. For example, when she nearly goes bankrupt, she traces the roots of her near financial implosion to her difficult childhood. There certainly may be some truth in her analysis. However, an equally compelling explanation might be that, as s ...more
Tanya T
I love Wynonna, she's a strong woman but not afraid to show her vulnerable side. I feel for her in her struggles with her weight, issues with her mother, the hurt of a failed marriage. Her regrets and feelings about not meeting her birth father before his death are heartwrenching!
Of course after reading this book, she is now divorced from the man whom she thought was her soulmate, i wish her best and hope she moves on to find her true love.
Bethany
Jan 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. Since it is a memoir, it's not the greatest writing in the world. It's basically the story of her life. Since I've always loved her voice, it was fun to read about her. She went through a lot of tough things, and in the end of the book tells how she had to figure everything out. A good real life story.
Erin
Apr 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would ALSO be a shame if Wynonna and I do not become friends someday. :):) I love and admire her humility, her humor, her love for her family and her animals and her heritage and her home. Her passion for her talent, her acceptance of the discoveries about her past, her generosity, her willingness to forgive herself. Her intelligence,...How about her voice? I could go on.
Diane Dunham
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
by reading this book you can find out how down to earth Wynonna really is. Some people put celebrities on a high pedestal to the point where they almost seem unreal. You will laugh, cry, and find out how much you and Wynonna have in common. I really laughed when I find out she does some of the same things I do.
Kris Phillips
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a fan of The Judds -- especially Wynonna -- and I really enjoyed hearing her life story in her own words. She is a fighter and is still working on getting to where she needs to be and I truly admire that about her.
Maria Luttrell
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated Wynonna's honest account of her life and the struggles she endured as she searched deep inside herself to give herself the happiness she deserved; the gift of happiness that only deep introspection will provide.
Amy
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Am not even a country music fan,but after reading this, I loved Wynonna as the down to earth, flawed and wonderful individual she seems to be. Enjoy!!
Toni Garcia
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wynonna and I held hands as I thanked her for writing this book. Her response: "We all have a story to tell...."
Robin
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Wynona.
Kristin
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story.
Becky
Jul 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this Bib because it truly gives the reader a glance into her life.
Mary Ellen Carlson
I've always admired Wynonna as an artist going all the way back to when she started singing in The Judds with her mother Naomi. I sympathize with her having to deal with a very strong-willed, overbearing mother as many of us have had to deal with the same. We want to be respectful but it's hard sometimes to stand up for yourself and always be respectful. I admire her even more now for being so honest about everything she's been through and how she's dealing with her problems. I battle my weight ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I remember when the Judds first appeared on the country music scene. I owned their albums. Albums, not CDs, not mp3 files but vinyl albums! I enjoyed their music and there was a certain mystique to the Judd mythology: single mom overcomes all and becomes a mega star.

Of course, nothing is as it appears to be and every family has its secrets and struggles. Wynonna's book is fairly straight-forward and her writing style is very conversational. She's open about the conflicts with her mother, her str
Beth Newman
I was never a huge fan of The Judds, but I after reading this I have a lot of respect for Wynonna. She's gone through some heavy stuff, and I'd love a follow-up to this book (written during her marriage to D.R. Roach, who, following the publication of this book, was convicted of sexual assault of a minor). I know she's been through a lot in recent years: battles with her mother and sister, as well as the horrific accident that left her current husband, drummer Cactus Mosier, disabled.

For any wo
Susan
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at the Goodwill Bookstore and found myself reading it and found myself really taken with the struggle that is and was part of this very public family. In fact, I did a little Google search since the book was published in 2005 only to find she's had more devastating events take place after its publication. I love how she is willing to dig in and continue to redefine herself. Still, the book is a good one to read for anyone who is trying to dig in and be more real and "come h ...more
Skip
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Though it was inspirational overall, the writing was conversational and it was hard to get through. I couldn't wait until I was finished with it. The last three chapters all talk about her last 18 months before writing the book. I did get a HUGE tip out of this book. I found Onsite Workshops in Cumberland Furnace, TN. Google it. A workshop at Onsite WILL change your life. Thanks Wyonna for sharing so candidly about this. I am forever grateful.
Sarah Murphy
Not a Judds fan, but the show on OWN and reading Ashley Judd's (who I do like) autobiography made me want to hear the other sides of the stories. I believe Ashley's version. Plus Ashley's (All that is Bitter and Sweet) actually has a purpose which is to enlighten the world about all her humanitarian work around the world. Skip this one and read Ashley's.
Tanya
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was an eye opener to me, I had no idea the struggles that she went through. It made me appreciate her even greater as an artist and a person. I'm glad she shared as much as she did with the reader.
Cheryl S.
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sisters, mothers and daughters
Shelves: memoir, 2008
Absorbing, inspiring memoir from a woman who openly admits she is not perfect but is learning to make the changes in her life to bring her to a better place. Very interesting look at the family dynamics among women and the effects of inconsistant parenting.
Ellie Revert
Oh, my goodness----this is quite a soul searching book. And I kept being one person or another---from event to event. I hope my daughter will read it, and she and I may just handle boundaries a bit better afterward. Wahoo to that!
Bridget
May 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
Interesting. I thought it could have been cut down, especially at the end.
Jill
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Judds - particularly Wy
Not a bad biography as you see how she was trapped in many ways despite her successes. Just a good quick read, but nothing earth-shattering.
Stacey
This book was a little slow in the beginning but turned out to be a good read. Wynonna has definitely taken life's lemons and made lemonade!
Brooke (i blog 4 books)
After listening to 20% of this book, I gave up. Wynonna comes off as pretty whiny in this book, and I just wasn't interested in listening to more. :(
Cathrine
Perhaps this would only bother a secretary but I didn't like the font. The number "1" looked very much like a capital "I". Made reading a bit annoying.
  • Reba: My Story
  • An Albany Trio: Legs, Billy Phelan's Greatest Game, Ironweed
  • Forever Yours, Faithfully: My Love Story
  • 44 Irish Short Stories
  • Sister India
Wynonna Ellen Judd (born Christina Claire Ciminella) is an American country music singer. Her solo albums and singles are all credited to the singular name Wynonna. Wynonna first rose to fame in the 1980s alongside her mother, Naomi, in the country music duo The Judds. The duo released seven albums on Curb Records, in addition to charting twenty-six singles, of which fourteen were Number One hits. ...more
More about Wynonna Judd...