Start by marking “Sims” as Want to Read:
Sims

Sims (Sims #1-5)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  527 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
F. Paul Wilson, a practicing physician as well as the bestselling author of the Repairman Jack series, turns his attention to the day after tomorrow and shows us how genetic engineering might change the world.

Published April 27th 2010 by Forge Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sims, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sims

Alger
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Among the last of the writers in the true pulp style, Wilson delivers an entertaining premise in a breakneck paced tale populated with stock characters. Also, in the finest tradition of the pulps, he provides a revealing glimpse of an alternate world that is absolutely faithful to this one, except in one small detail.

That detail in this volume is the successful creation of a simian GMO who is sapient and self-aware, yet is classified as sub-human and animal in nature. In the world of Sims this i
Lyndsey
I was really really in the mood for a novella and I just happened to pick this one up off the shelf. I really wanted to like it with such a killer concept, but unfortunately it just didn't hit the spot for me.

This is such a controversial subject, but there was just nothing riveting at all about this story or how it was told. The best way I can think of to describe it: it felt like it was happening miles away from where I was. As if I was watching through a pair of binoculars and didn't care to g
William Bentrim
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SIMS by F. Paul Wilson

This book is 13 years old and yet is still cutting edge. Genetic manipulation and it's results are the focus of the book. The development of an evolved chimpanzee and it's enslavement is the key plot line.

One of the more interesting factors about the book was the syndicated article in the Naples Daily News last week dealing with the court fight to get some chimps declared human. If you are reading this review on Amazon, there will be no link to the Associated Press articl
Randy
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Just a few hundred genes separate humans from chimpanzees. Imagine someone altering the chimp genome, splicing in human genes to increase the size of the cranium, reduce the amount of body hair, enable speech. What sort of creature would result?

Sims takes place in the very near future, wh

Bob
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow again! *Another* book I would give ten stars if I could. This book is about a genetically-engineered worker class, the "sims", part human and part chimpanzee, in the not-to-distant future. They are slaves, and are considered animals, not humans. The book magnificently describes the viewpoints of dozens of different members of society regarding the sims, all as part of the story.

Warning for the squeamish: There are several passages describing extreme gore in great detail, and others describin
Derek Holmes
A genetics company has a world wide monopoly on the leasing of a new species they have created as menial workers. Based on chimps, with a few human genes spliced in. The creatures are docile and 'happy' to do the jobs no people want, or are they?
A lawyer is contacted by a group of the creatures who want to start a union. This opens a can of worms and sets in place a series of events that sees the company that created the creatures desperately trying to maintain control.
An at times thrilling read
Lize
I wasn't sure I wanted to read this at first, and then when I did I couldn't put it down. SimGen, a big biotech company has created a slave race by engineering the DNA of chimps and humans--the Sims--to do menial and dangerous labor that humans don't want to do. Of course, greed, money and the Department of Defense get involved, and you can guess the rest.

Wonderfully written, with a shocker at the end that I didn't see coming. It was a great introduction to an author who has turned out to be a
Alina Stefanescu
Interesting speculative applications to the current treatment of immigrant laborers under US law.

In Sims, the government or military industrial complex turns out to be behind the development of sims, which are legally “products” but potentially cheap labor and more importantly cheap roadkill for new wars. Congress designated sims as legal property, which means they cannot be considered humans, which means they cannot be “employee” and therefore do not qualify for protection under the statutes o
Ellen
Interesting, sorta creepy sci-fi novel that takes place in the near future about sims--chimpanzees enhanced with human DNA created by a company called SimGen--which are used as cheap labor and medical guinea pigs while denied many rights, even to family. A labor lawyer and an activist team to change the classification of sims from property to persons to improve their treatment and to bring SimGen's shady practices and secrets to light. Of course, there are those within the company who will do an ...more
Sara
Jul 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sims was a surprisingly captivating novel, though I believe it would have been much better, had F. Paul Wilson improved upon the dialogue. The premise is chilling, and not nearly as far-fetched as one would hope. Some of the characters are a little bit ridiculous, and I was perplexed about the severity of the big "twist." Without giving anything away, I really felt it shouldn't have made any difference one way or another.
Katie
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I want to give this one star when I consider how many books in existence that are so much more worth reading, but on its own merit I'll give it two. It was predictable. The writing was easy to read but shallow, you can make a book accessible without butchering any sense of purpose in word choice. The premise of the book was decent enough, and that's the only thing that saved it. If a book can inspire any kind of thought outside of its pages, it isn't a complete waste.
Asti
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sims is one of the first bio-engineering futuristic novels I read. The story gives great detail about the ethical, social and spiritual issues that arise when a Euro-centric society tampers with nature. The book presents a sci-fic version of actual scientific advances in genetic modification of the human genome. It was moving and enlightening. I recommend this read to anyone interested in American culture, human and animal rights, scientists and anyone looking for a intriguing story.
Jon
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite novels. It tells a fantastic tale of a genetically modified race of creatures called Sims that act as slave labor for human beings. The protagonist of the novel is a lawyer that fights for the rights of these genetically-modified beings, but there is much more danger involved than he could ever have imagined. The ending contains an incredible twist that caught me off guard and makes the story. I would highly recommend this book to anybody.
Marlene
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Found this book at a goodwill store and only bought it because it was in excellent condition, hardcover, for just $2! It is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Have passed it on to other friends who do not like science fiction and they were hooked. The characters are full and round and I found myself completely believing the story and the scenes, chilling as they might be.
Rebekkila
Jul 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read F. Paul Wilson in over 10 years so it was nice to read one after all this time. The story is about a world in which chimpanzees are genetically altered to be more human. Considering how much progress has been made with genetic engineering I found it very thought provoking. What a fine line between the character in this book and the human race.
Tanvir Muntasim
Enjoyable and thought provoking story of genetic engineering that poses a lot of ethical questions related to what is acceptable in terms of fair labour practices and drawing the line between humans and animals.
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Sims is not my usual cup of tea, but I enjoyed it immensely. The plot was full of twists and turns, and I loved the characters, especially the dynamics between them. The ending was satisfying and I had a splendid time reading this book on vacation. An excellent read. 4.5 stars.
Anne
Nov 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating book. It delves into what can happen when mankind gets into cloning and other things which often are best left alone. The story is engrossing and well written and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a well written thriller with some interesting twists.
Mike
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Entertaining but I figured out the twists really early.
Jim
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me feel so many different emotions! I hope that this excellent book is read by many and appreciated for it's forward thinking ... Something similar could happen.
Ron
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Love F. Paul Wilson, but could not get interested in the book. Too predictable.
Patrick
Not Bad Interesting Concept
Mike
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Ugh! Just to unbelievable.
Lauren
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book but think it would be better as a movie.
Gary Langston
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read. Scary in the fact that this could really happen.
Ellen Marcolongo
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Interesting premise but I thought the ending was too neatly and quickly tied up.
Megan
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable action/adventure - the outcome was somewhat predictable, but the journey to get there held my attention. Yay Zero.
Amber
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Characterization of the girl was flat as possible. The idea was good, though.
Ron
Jul 29, 2008 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent pulpy science fiction novel. It's very similar to Michael Crichton's "Next."
  • The Wolfman
  • The Children Star
  • Deadstock
  • Hunter's Moon
  • The Galosh
  • Stranger
  • Digital Divide (Rachel Peng, #1)
  • The Summoning
  • Sunborn (Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • Don't Bite the Sun (Four-BEE, #1)
  • Breeder
  • Napier's Bones
  • Stalkers
  • Timecaster
  • Prey
  • I Never Called It Rape
  • Fade to Blue
  • King's Blood Four (Land of the True Game, #1)
20561
Francis Paul Wilson is an author, born in Jersey City, New Jersey. He writes novels and short stories primarily in the science fiction and horror genres. His debut novel was Healer (1976). Wilson is also a part-time practicing family physician. He made his first sales in 1970 to Analog and continued to write science fiction throughout the seventies. In 1981 he ventured into the horror genre with t ...more
More about F. Paul Wilson...

Sims (5 books)
  • La Causa (Sims, #1)
  • The Portero Method (Sims, #2)
  • Meerm (Sims, #3)
  • Zero (Sims, #4)
  • Thy Brother's Keeper (Sims, #5)