Start by marking “Star Trek The Next Generation #49” as Want to Read:
Star Trek The Next Generation #49

Star Trek The Next Generation #49 (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  629 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

The mischievous creature who calls himself Q has subjected Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the Starship Enterprise to many of their strangest experiences. But little had been known of Q's curious existence or that of the advanced dimension from which he comes. But now Picard knows more than he ever dreamed about an ancient conflict whose consequences might spell th
Published July 14th 1999 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek The Next Generation #49, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek The Next Generation #49

Dan
Dec 27, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came away from this trilogy feeling that Greg Cox really gets what Trek is all about. His ability to weave disparate parts of continuity together into a cohesive whole really makes this story enjoyable to read.

If I had one complaint, it's that this trilogy should probably have been two books rather than three. I felt like each volume was a little too short to warrant having its own book. While there isn't much I would have considered cutting from the story, I still feel like the story could ha
Robert
Feb 10, 2013 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole trilogy has promise, but it's never realized. Cox goes on too long too often, giving us glimpses of Q's origin with his pseudo mentor 0. Ultimately, the books suffered from poor editing and relied too much on nods to other occurrences in the ST universe. It's fine to give the reader comfortable touch points to other ST books and series, but most references were pedestrian and it seemed like the author was simply trying to show he knew a lot about the ST canon.

It's fluffy reading and i
Conan Tigard
Nov 14, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Q-Strike resides on a new Enterprise-E, and takes place a couple of months after the movie, First Contact, since that is when the new ship is introduced. The story focuses on multiple storylines: 1) Q showing Picard bits and pieces of Q's own past with 0, 2) Lem Faal and his new powers, 3) 0's pursuit of Q, and 4) Picard and the Calamarains.

The third and final book in this trilogy moves along quite quickly and I found it a pleasure to read. In fact, I found it quite hard to put down. Finally,
K
Mar 08, 2014 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the second book, not quite as good as the first book in the series. The third and final book concludes the 0/Q feud, with the Enterprise right in the middle. I did enjoy the author's take on the dinosaur extinction, as well as the link between this book and the TOS movie, The Final Frontier. I did feel that it did wrap up too quickly and the filler from the second book could have been removed and the conclusion to the third book could have been drawn out a little more. 3.75/5
Tyler Kielb
May 24, 2014 Tyler Kielb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read with some minor annoyances (pointed out by others) that only marginally detract from this thoroughly enjoyable story. Particularly in the third book, the writing quality (and editing) doesn't seem up to the same level as the first two, ranging from simple typos to downright awkward sentence structure at times. The trilogy still beats any of the ST movies, hands down!
Min
Apr 10, 2015 Min rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great conclusion. For my introduction to the written Star Trek world, I am quite pleased. The treat, and the reward, is learning more about Q and the Continuum. The adventure, suspense and layers prove wonderful. I had to place this book on a hold at the library. Worth the wait. I will definitely have to read more of these in the future. Great, fast, and fun.
Scarlett Sims
The stunning conclusion!

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the review of the first one, so I'll just take the opportunity to say it here: Barclay is in this! Barclay is one of my faves, next to Ensign Ro, Lwaxana Troi, and of course Q himself.

This trilogy was a fun read; we got to see a different side of Q and it ended with Picard relating to/understanding Q a bit better. Now if only I can find a book about Guinan's backstory....
J.R. Ortega
Jun 26, 2016 J.R. Ortega rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally decided to read this trilogy, and now I really wish it were an episode in the TNG series! I enjoyed the pace of the first book the most. The second felt like it had slow pace and a lot of build up, and the third book brought it all together pretty quickly. A nice read and added bonus storyline for any TNG fans! Loved getting to know more about who Q is. Still, there were times the story just dragged a bit for some reason.
Todd R
Jun 04, 2015 Todd R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trek, trek-tng
I'd give this 2.5 stars. This should have been a two book series, would have been much better and would have averaged 4 stars. Drawn out over 3 books this was a boring read overall. First book was decent, 2nd book likewise, by the third the premise is dull and the characters boring. The Q story takes a back seat to what Rikers team is up to throughout the series and I found myself forwarding to these bits.
Joshua
May 18, 2013 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans
3rd Q-Book I'd read in a month and I was done w/ him by then. I tend to be a procrastinator like all humans. So, with some books, not all. I wish it were w/ all. I am way overaggressieve in my pacing. Believe it or not you remember, understand and retain much more of any book or suject it's taken in at a fast pace. The pace must be
Athena Braun
May 24, 2010 Athena Braun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Q fans, Star Trek TNG fans
The 3rd book in this series. Picard remains missing, Q and O have a battle, Lem Faal who is taken over by O kidnaps baby q and does experiments on him, The calamarians come to a truce with Q and help him in his battle against 0. Very entertaining!Q finally gets knocked down a peg or two :) This is worth the read!!
Carl Bussema
Jul 10, 2012 Carl Bussema rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Eh... again, I think the trilogy could have been collapsed by a book and it would have paced better. It was still enjoyable, but the lackluster ending (I don't know what I expected... it's a perfectly fine episode ending... I guess I'm just used to reading things with more impact) costs this a star.
Brendan
Oct 10, 2012 Brendan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Greg Cox's trek books because he write stories about secondary character from the francise instead of just writing yet another adventure of the USS enterprise.
David
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mikael Kuoppala
May 27, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adequate ending to this trilogy. Ties all the strings together nicely and utilizes all the wonderful characters well.
Angela
May 07, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good finale to what should be read as one book. Picard finally finds out the secret behind the barrier. An entertaining read.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greg Cox penned a winner with this trilogy, incorporating so much of the universe as only he can.
Isiah
Oct 14, 2008 Isiah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my review of the first book of this trilogy.
Kimberly
Sep 08, 2009 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the trilogy, but I also like Q as well.
Steve
Sep 14, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
AWESOME!!
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Julie Soden
Julie Soden rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Russell Williams
Russell Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Nicole Roffé
Nicole Roffé rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
David Drake
David Drake rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2016
Thea
Thea rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Rod Simmons
Rod Simmons rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Dani JO
Dani JO marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
  • I, Q
  • The Soldiers of Fear (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #41; Invasion, #2)
  • Into the Nebula (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #36)
  • Relics
  • Possession (Star Trek: The Next Generation #40)
  • Q-In-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #18)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • The Forgotten War (Star Trek: The Next Generation #57)
  • Quarantine (Star Trek: Double Helix, #4)
  • Dyson Sphere (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #50)
  • Spartacus (Star Trek: The Next Generation #20)
  • Blaze of Glory (Star Trek: The Next Generation #34)
  • Imbalance (Star Trek: The Next Generation #22)
  • Foreign Foes (Star Trek: The Next Generation #31)
  • Red Sector (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #53; Double Helix, #3)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • The Last Stand (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #37)

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1 - 10 of 103 books)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Ghost Ship (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #1)
  • The Peacekeepers (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • The Children of Hamlin (Star Trek: The Next Generation #3)
  • Survivors (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #4)
  • Strike Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #5)
  • Power Hungry (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #6)
  • Masks (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #7)
  • The Captains' Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #8)
  • A Call to Darkness (Star Trek: The Next Generation #9)