Start by marking “Presidential Doodles: Two Centuries of Scribbles, Scratches, Squiggles, and Scrawls from the Oval Office squiggles & scrawls from the Oval Office” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  88 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
What were the leaders of the free world really doing during all those meetings? As the creators of Cabinet magazine reveal here for the first time, they were doodling. Our Founding Fathers doodled, and so did Andrew Jackson. Benjamin Harrison accomplished almost nothing during his time in the White House, but he left behind some impressive doodles. During the twentieth cen
Published September 25th 2006 by Basic Books

To ask other readers questions about Presidential Doodles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Presidential Doodles

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What did different presidents doodle while they were thinking about issues that would impact the country? This book does a fantastic job of showing us (maybe) some of the subconscious factors that influenced policy.
Julie
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
Wow - I have been running around, recommending this book to anyone owning the slightest bit of natural curiosity. You are absolutely bound to find something to fascinate you, be it the squishy squashy love letters from Ronnie to Nancy, or the fact that Herbert Hoover's abstract doodles were made into fabric used in children's clothing. For my husband, I showed him the poignant picture JFK drew of his sailboat . . . look it up for yourselves.

Stephen
Very interesting subject of the top leaders of America and their marginalia.
Tracie
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
My all time favorite doodle in this book is a love note from Ronald Reagan to Nancy, wherein he refers to her as "Poo Pants". It's cool, Nancy, it happens to the best of us.
Aaron
Aug 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hoover designed kids cloths, what more do you want from a book?
Julie
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Really cool!!! I never knew that Ronald Regan wanted to be a cartoonist and could draw so well.
Heather Shugarman
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable quick read full of presidential fun facts [about doodles and beyond] sure to be useful at pub trivia night eventually.
Ram
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were not as many doodles in this book as I was expecting -- and several of the really nice ones from the cover were actually probably drawn by a British diplomat on a White House sleepover. It stands to reason that we would be missing idle scratches from early presidents, as it is too labor-intensive to dip a quill pen just to make a doodle; perhaps the editors should have looked for a JQA scrimshaw?

There are 2 great lessons to be drawn from this compilation: 1. Ronald Reagan was a mush-br
Astri
Nov 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I spent most of my high school and college life doodling on my assignments and notes during class, much to the dismay of my teachers, so this book struck a bit of chord with me. Actually, I spent a good 10 minutes giggling over it. Theodore Roosevelt's depiction of a child being mauled by a wild cat is absolutely hilarious.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
This book is a lot of fun. It shows pages of doodles from the Presidents. It's interesting to see what some of them drew. Herbert Hoover drew intricate geometric designs, pulling on his time as an engineer. George Washington enjoyed practicing letters. John Kennedy like writing words like communism and cheese.