Start by marking “Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design” as Want to Read:
Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design

Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design

New in Paperback! An inspired resource for creating excellent layouts Layout Workbook is one of five volumes in Rockport's series of practical and inspirational workbooks that cover the fundamental areas of the graphic design business. In this edition, author Kristin Cullen tackles the often perplexing job of nailing down a layout that works.

More than a collection of great
Published May 1st 2007 by Rockport Publishers (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Layout Workbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Layout Workbook

Start your review of Layout Workbook: A Real-World Guide to Building Pages in Graphic Design
Mojhde Alipoor
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: گرافیک
کتاب خوبیه ترجمه ی فارسیش به اسم «لی اوت» مشکل داره و صفحه آراییش کمی باعث ناخوانایی شده..
Jessica
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
I am still reading this; if I mark it read, I will complete it much more quickly, however.

I very much like how it is written and the inspiration-compiling arrangement of information with visual examples, industry takes strewn throughout - never too forcefully and as if for taking or leaving. The opening quote by Degas, "Art is not what you see, but what you make others see" is an especially fantastic intention-setter, and the author follows through with that purposing very extensively.

I read a
R.Friend
Aug 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
At first glance, I wasn't that impressed; in fact, I'd passed it over several times on the bookshelf in favor of something else... But being a fan of just about everything Rockport publishes in their design series, I finally looked at this one more closely--and needless to say, I bought it.

I think what had initially turned me off was the page design itself. Some of the graphic devices and type choices used in the book's narrative still feel dated to me, but the work presented within is well wor
Riitta Toivonen
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and competent - every page presents beautiful and well-functioning examples to explain the principles that underlie outstanding graphical design. Includes sets of questions to assess your own design: does it fulfill every requirement an excellent design should? Clearly written and insightful, this book gives guidance on everything from the design process through selecting typefaces to nurturing your inspiration.
Whitney
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it
A decent book for design fundamentals, but analysis-wise... I felt it was lacking in vocabulary. It was as if Cullen didn't know how to expand on the second half of the book, which she had decided to dedicate entirely to analysis. I wanted to know what really made those designs have their own pulse.

Jenn
Feb 23, 2012 added it
Shelves: 2012
obviously written by a graphic designer, this book is heavy on visuals and low on text. very basic information, good for someone who has never had any sort of introduction to the basics of graphic design.
Katie
Jul 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Ironically, I wasn't a fan of the layout of this book. I did enjoy the examples, and the educational sections were very informative.
Christine Røde
This was the first book I ever bought about design. It was a huge inspiration for 17 year old me.
Alyssa
Mar 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
The workbook collection is a golden tool for designers and marketers alike. It has definitely spurred my imagination.
Pelly Sianova
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Graphic Designers
Another Rockport's Workbook series that I like.
Emily
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Great explanations and the book provides many great portfolios of work to reference in future design projects.
Ana

• Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Entire Branding Team
  • Who Would Win? Lion vs. Tiger
  • God's Answers for Today's Problems: Proverbs
  • A Short Course in Digital Photography
  • Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days
  • Celebrate Recovery Updated Participant's Guide Set, Volumes 1-4: A Recovery Program Based on Eight Principles from the Beatitudes

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »