Start by marking “The Lord's Supper: Eternal Word in Broken Bread” as Want to Read:
The Lord's Supper: Eternal Word in Broken Bread

The Lord's Supper: Eternal Word in Broken Bread

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A call to a renewed hunger and thirst for the Lord's Supper, this book unfolds a historic Reformed understanding in contrast to other views. Building on careful biblical analysis, Robert Letham explains why we have the Supper, how we partake of Christ in it, who should take communion, and related matters.
Published July 1st 2001 by P & R Publishing

Daniel
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
It is a good, brief defence of a Calvinistic approach to communion. In general, I agreed with just about everything the author said, though I thought some of his comments concerning the bread not being pre-sliced were a tad extreme. Still, it is essential reading.
Dan
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lead
Short little book that helped me think a little deeper about the Lord's Supper. Really learned alot re. the differences between Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Zwinglian, and Reformed views of Communion. His section on practical issues helped me think through some things I had not considered before. My only critique is that he was a bit too dogmatic on certain aspects (e.g. one loaf, one cup, wine only etc.)
Kenneth
Jun 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kenneth by: Richard Barcellos
Letham, Robert: The Lord’s Supper: Eternal Word in Broken Bread
This is an excellent little primer on the Lord’s Supper and its significance. Letham defends the reformed view of the eucharist as a means of grace through the real spiritual presence view most associate with John Calvin. He spends a lot of time dealing with how Christ is present at the meal and then with what takes place at the supper. He also deals with other issues such as frequency, what is to be used type of bread type of wine a
Dave
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding work to be prayerfully and thoughtfully wrestled with. The author supports his arguments well and writes clearly. Some may quibble about his applications, but even where I disagreed, I felt the need to revisit my own beliefs and practices! Highly recommended!
Justin
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Good little introduction to the topic. Robert hits briefly on the supper in scripture, history, and in practice today.
Brandon Wilkins
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
A helpful and short introduction to a Calvinistic view of the Lord's Supper. Letham interacts with biblical texts on the Lord's Supper (including giving a sacramental reading on John 6--with a defense of why it should be read sacramentally). He surveys the most important views of the Supper in church history (Roman Catholic/Eastern Orthodox, Lutheran, Calvinist, Zwinglian), provides an overview of Calvin's doctrine in particular, and then discusses some practical aspects of the Supper--and he do ...more
Matthew
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
I have read remarkably little on this subject so I don't have much for comparison. The sacraments are mostly misunderstood and misused in the Church which seems to me to be a very serious thing. This book is very short but contains a great deal of content. Letham discusses things like: the use of wine exclusively, that the Supper is not a Passover meal but better related to the meal in Exodus 24, the Supper as taught in the Confessions and more. This would be an excellent book to read and give t ...more
Wade
Aug 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sacraments
This is a very well written book about the sacrament of the Lord's Supper. It helped me understand more deeply how this sacrament uniquely unites us with Christ. Letham builds a strong argument for Christ's preaching on the Lord's Supper in John 6, which is very helpful and often lacking in most people's definition of the Supper.
Matt Chapman
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not sure I agreed with everything in terms of the precise (and very narrow) way to practice it.
But really helped by the biblical foundation chapter and the reminder that the Lord's Supper is not just a memorial and a proclamation but also a participation in Christ's body and blood that deepens our experience of union with him.
Ryan Jankowski
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Letham is one of my favorite authors and this little book only reinforces that position. If only it were available in Spanish.
Jon Sedlak
Dec 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
As boring as it is thin.
Josh
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Too brief, and I felt Letham substantiates his arguments too much from confessions instead of Scripture. Letham also, I believe wrongly discredits or minimizes the Supper's connection to Passover.
Matthew
Sep 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Great primer on the protestant Eucharist.
David Varney