Start by marking “A Perfect Stranger” as Want to Read:
A Perfect Stranger

A Perfect Stranger

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  6,230 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
The only daughter of a European banking dynasty, Raphaella had always been sheltered from the world. Married to a much older American, she was kept in the privacy of great luxury, tended to by servants, watched over by bodyguards. She was the beautiful dark-eyed woman the young lawyer from San Francisco, Alexander Hale, saw sitting alone one misty evening. Before he could ...more
Published July 1st 1985 by Dell (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about A Perfect Stranger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Perfect Stranger

Chenara Jade
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-fave
this is the first DS book i read... since then i never stopped reading all DS Novels... still collecting DS Novels.. never STOPPED, Can't stop!!! =)
Brandy
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I don't know what it is about her books that suck you in, especially when 90% of the time you know what is going to happen. I read this one in one day. One thing that did bother me and she does this in a lot of her books. Is that you see so much of the main characters struggles but then when everything is resolved and they get back together, the book is over. That's what I wanted to know about this book. Did Alex & Raphaella get married? Have kids? What happened with Amanda or Kay? Too many ...more
Ada Iaboni
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a lovely story that makes you think that love at first sight is possible.
The cultural differences of two worlds perhaps even three of the main character make you think of the freedom of thought we as "American" have.
The resolution was a little too abrupt and the ending left me a bit dry, but as a whole it was a good story and kept me reading.
Diane Briones™
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is an easy read, I read this within a night, but couldn't put it down once I started. It is an innocuous love at first, and it takes you through the sides of torn and what is right and moral.

Raphaella marry's her fathers business partner John Henry when she is 18 years old. When John Henry becomes incapacitated Raphaella does not give up her duties as a wife. Even when she meets a man who falls in love with her she remains loyal to her husband whom she shows great respect.

Perfect Stranger had
Anusheetha
Jul 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
I am currently 56 pages into this book and I absolutely cannot stand it. I keep giving it the benefit of doubt thinking it'll get better soon but it just doesn't. All the characters annoy me and I'll shortly be going into a detailed rant as to why exactly that is. I don't understand how this book has so many good reviews I have absolutely no hopes for this story to improve.
I have half a mind to stop reading it and start something new. But leaving a book unfinished will bother me so I won't do t
lacy
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who love Danielle Steel, romance
Another not so good book for me written by my favorite author. I'm so disappointed. This really had some potential to be just a rocking book. There are a few reasons why I didn't like this book.

Raphaella is reason number one. Ugh, she was just so wishy washy. She didn't seem very strong even though her husband is basically an invalid. You think that would give her strength but nooooooo. She just seems so spoiled. And she lets her family just walk all over her. I just wanted to scream STAND UP F
penelopewanders
Read in Mallorca.
I think it must be close to thirty years since I've read anything by this author, and I have to admit I came close to simply putting the book away several times. I did push myself through to the end, but this was really not my cup of tea. The love at first sight scenario is difficult enough to swallow, but all the characters are such caricatures, that it's almost unbearable. The put-upon macho man, surrounded by overbearing yet successful females, yearning in vain for a true wom
Shannen Carter
Feb 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Generally, when I start a book I always read until the end, but with this I couldn't even make it past 100 pages.

The whole idea of "love at first sight" is one that doesn't appeal to me, as those kind of love stories lack in substance and I don't feel are a very accurate or realistic perception of real relationships. However, I didn't let that put me off and decided to push on forward, but the more I read the more issues I found.

Firstly, Alex's character is very unlikeable. From the get go he'
Anna
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A história não é má, abrange temas interessantes como os laços familiares, uma vida demasiado protegida, a escolha entre a obrigação (pelo marido doente) ou o amor (pelo amante), o isolamento, a doença... Mas ao mesmo tempo, Alex é demasiado irreal e a forma como se apaixona demasiado depressa retrata isso mesmo. Rafaella acaba por ser demasiado insegura devido à vida protegida e a sua indecisão acaba por ser massacrante. Por fim um ponto estranho neste livro: as mulheres que lutam por uma carre ...more
Julie
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another old Danielle Steel book that I read many years ago. A favorite at the time.
Dee
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great.
Pati Gete
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the best Danielle Steel books I've ever read.
Nathy R.
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Comprar livros quando se está desempregada não é propriamente uma tarefa fácil. O dinheiro não estica e existe uma necessidade de saciar, de tempo a tempos, este vício que não faz bem à carteira. Durante a altura em que estive desempregada habituei-me a ir a uma livraria que também vende livros em segunda mão. Ia pelo menos uma vez por mês, dependendo da minha carteira trazia 1 ou 2 livros. Cheguei a comprar livros por apenas 2.5€ em excelentes condições e de capa dura. Tal como o da imagem. Não ...more
Terralyn Brown Barfield
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Couldn't wait for each new Danielle Steel book.
Éride
Jun 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Reseña de UNA PERFECTA DESCONOCIDA.
Una perfecta desconocida es una novela escrita por Danielle Steel en 1981, con un total de 343 páginas.
Una mujer se casa con un hombre cuarenta años mayor que ella. A los pocos años, ese hombre sufre varios ataques que lo dejan inválido, y su joven mujer tiene que quedarse presa en casa de ambos para dedicarse plenamente a su cuidado.
De repente, ella coincide en un avión con un hombre joven, apuesto, rico… y se enamoran perdidamente.
A quién elegirá ella: ¿A su
Elephas
my first Danielle Steel...a most romantic plot and i sense most of her book written as such but somehow, this book is draggy. Numerous times i read the declaration of the characters love for one another..the same love language which is used repetitively...then the push and pull effect where the characters decide on "to be or not to be"...these indecisiveness and romance repeatedly appear in most of the pages made the book rather draggy...anyway, its a decent book and thought it deserve a 3 from ...more
Zona
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 50-in-2011
I didn't fall head over heels with this story. It's not my favorite Danielle Steele book. It was just kind of okay and that makes me sad. I explain further on my blog www.booknerdbecca.com
The ending was sweet, but again, it was lacking. I really wanted more. It was just kind of like, "Okay, and now we're done." And after the huge intro of angsty stuff in the beginning, I really wanted more to go on at the end.
It wasn't a bad story, but it was a little long for the amount of story you get. I gave
Courtney
Jan 25, 2011 rated it liked it
this was an okay book. a guy sees this girl who is crying in a yard, so he goes and watches her (kinda creepy) but he ends up going on the same trip as she did and ends up finding out that she's married to a man who is about to die and she is only in her twenties, she loved him though. they end up having an affair and her husband died, but before he did he saw how happy she was and knew what she did and told her to be with the man.
Sumaiyah
May 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: my friends
Shelves: syakillasshelf
i've learn many new things from this book.i very like it because she use the simple language and i can understand it clearly.this book helps me to improve my grammar and languange.it is my first english novel, i thought.i had borrowed it from my friend and i had finished reading it in two weeks(how amazing!) because i've never been reading english novel in such short time.well, i don't know how to tell how i like this book very much.thank you.
Ronald Wise
Jul 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
A rather corny romance with some unbelievable coincidences and characters. But there were a couple of characters that were so despicable that I had to read on, hoping they'd get their just due. This was one of the author's books I added to my list after reading her novel Toxic Bachelors. But after this one I might just remove her other titles from the list as a waste of reading time.
Vinnell
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story that makes you think that love at first sight is possible – if you are a romantic at heart. It was bit over exaggerated – even a perfect love has some problems. Don’t get me wrong, it was a good story that kept me reading but once I finished it, I felt unsatisfied as the overall plot is dry and a lot of the characters’ stories remain unresolved.
Hanz
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful book I remember reading when i was 16. And i cant forget it. The pain the love the longing and the true way of expressing that love isnt perfect its actually the most difficult thing to acquire and keep. The struggles that Raphaella, and how she tries to battle between diong the right thing and struggle to make herself happy is so well shown.
Kanaheswaree Rajendran
I find it as a good book, because MOSTLY (not all though) Indians do not move on in their lives with somebody else. They stay single for their kids or might end up going back to their parents house. This story will be an eye opener for those who thinks that it will be a big sin to move in with a guy after the husband's death.
Melody
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Même si elle est infidèle, j'ai trouvé Raphaella admirable. Elle a vraiment le sens du "sacrifice" car, après tout, elle reste au côté de son mari jusqu'à la fin, alors que d'autres auraient choisi de partir et "profiter" de leur jeunesse.
Shenky5
Sep 25, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: illona kapenda
Shelves: sheleca
it's not all about image or status but you can find a perfect stranger to be your soul mate at point. Don't judge people by their appearence or family history they mighty be very deferent from what you thought you knew.
Samela Antrishi
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this romantic novel. It was an absolute gem I couldn't put the book down. I was lost in the world of love and emotions. Yet another reminder that Love never fails it always finds its way!
Jill
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
predictable but was free for me and worked out well for beach reading. I liked it. had some interesting twists. Only Danielle Steele book I've read, and since according to the reviews they are the same may be the only one I read
Sehrish.Abbasi
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
no doubt.. i loved this book very much but it was little bit draggy.. i wanted to put it down but i couldn't.. im bit lazy reader but i finished this book in 3 days.. reading it day and night..

Ps. this is my first book review ever..
Bhagya
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
it's a wonderful escape. i open her books and i am instantly absorbed into the world she describes. - Raphaella

everyone once or twice in a lifetime... commits an indiscretion. but its important that it is not with someone who can be hurt by it. - Raphaellas' mom
Anarchic Rain
Mio Dio, ho davvero letto questo libro da ragazzina?
Sì. Comprato al supermercato (me lo ricordo ancora, ma com'è possibile?) con l'altro (ebbene sì) sempre della Steel.
Vado a farmi cinque minuti (giorni?) di vergogna.
Danielle Steel Bo...: A Perfect Stranger 1 8 Nov 20, 2012 03:14AM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Dazzle
  • Danielle Steel
  • Love in Another Town
  • Meet The Woodland Folk
  • Mama, I Love You
  • The Lazarus Child
  • The Ugly Duchess
  • Texas Sunrise (Texas, #4)
  • Tangled Vines
  • Believe In Me (Believe Trilogy, #3)
  • The Testaments of Francois Villon
  • Slavnosti sněženek
  • Hruškadóttir (Islandská novela)
  • Black Mustang
  • Labyrint světa a ráj srdce
  • The Rule of Four
  • Nikola the Outlaw
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...