Start by marking “Theosophy: An Introduction to the Spiritual Processes in Human Life and in the Cosmos (Cw 9)” as Want to Read:

(Classics in Anthroposophy)

A clear, concise explanation of human nature; the worlds of body, soul, and spirit; the laws of reincarnation; and the workings of karma.

Theosophy is a key work for gaining a solid footing in spiritual reality as described by Rudolf Steiner. It is organized into four parts. First, Steiner builds a comprehensive understanding of human nature: physical bodily nature; soul qu
Published December 1st 1994 by Steiner Books (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Theosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Theosophy

Sheila
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
The man is a genius. But my advice to anyone who has never read Steiner? Try to stay awake! Black coffee and a bright reading lamp! (This was my first Steiner book and I slept more while reading it than I did at night!)

I believe his writings are all translated from lectures and such. It is hard to get used to the indepth style of writing, especially after reading writings of current authors.

Steiner was born in mid 1800. He didn't actually go public with his writings until late into the 1800's.
He
Greg
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysticism, philosophy
This is one of the two key foundation texts for Rudolph Steiner's new religious movement Anthroposophy. It is a mish-mash of Neoplatonism and Vedanta expressed in 19th century scientific jargon. Steiner is a key figure in early 20th century spiritualism and his writings are important background in the study of the New Age movement.
Mike
Oct 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-gonna-read
I tried but not for me.
Paul
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book speaks with vigor and authority about things that most of us spend our lives studiously trying to ignore.

Sometime in late adolescence I became aware that my life had a spiritual dimension and even a spiritual purpose. I might not have put it that way at the time, but I had developed a seasick feeling that all of my notions of about life and its aims were inadequate and wrong. I had no idea what to replace them with, so I embarked on a search that in time got me looking at the great rel
Roger Buck
For reasons indicated here: http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2011/... ...

I do not even want to rate this book. My views on Steiner are so complex and so likely to be misunderstood that I would rather not reduce them to soundbites.

I simply want to say I have read this book and that whilst Steiner served to free me from Eastern Theosophy and the New Age scene I found at Findhorn, Valentin Tomberg, in turn, provided me with a very different hermeneutic with which to engage Steiner.

I hope the above l
Lord
Feb 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthroposophy
The title of this book can be mischevious and it is very unfortunate that Rudolf Steiner is by many people viewed as a "mere theosoph". There was indeed a stage in his life when he joined the theosophical society but because of the unsurmountable differences of opinions he was forced to leave and founded the Anthroposophical society. So the title of this book should really be "Anthroposophy" but the word "theosophy" stays in his books and written lectures for the historical faithfulness.
As for t
Paglia
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un fantastico viaggio tra corpo, anima e spirito. Le parole di Steiner svegliano quella parte sopita dentro di noi, che aspira ad una nuova evoluzione.
Bellissimo l'ultimo capitolo, in cui vengono fornite alcune pratiche linee guida (di assai difficile messa in pratica) per intraprendere il cammino verso la conoscenza dei mondi superiori.
Coquille Fleur
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthroposophy
This was the first book required in my Waldorf Teacher training. Great Steiner in a nutshell. Helped me develop my spiritual organs (and give them a name). Fundamental to understanding Steiner and Waldorf.
Greg Savage
Nov 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you are keen on cults and drivel then
Rudolph is your man. He does have a big following so It may be me who can't penetrate his doublespeak. I suspect that there is a lot of people looking for something to believe in. This is not the guy, though the cult does seem basically harmless.
Gangforward
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Good Book
Andras
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I like all books from Steiner but when I became interested in Theosophy, friends recommended me this one. All that Steiner wrote is worth exploring.
Stewart
"Spiritual researchers challenged their students, not to BELIEVE what they are told but to THINK it." - pg 179.
Linda Anderson
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting...very thought provoking...
Nadja Lepsch
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Rudolf Steiner teach us about the basic understandings of Theosophy with good examples and clarity. Basic text for whom intends to study Anthroposophy.
Robin Vig
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Easier to read than Philosophy of Freedom.
Todd Hughes
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well done, but definitely not a primer to theosophy. You should read a general text on the tennets if theodophy before you read this master work.
Michael Dackweiler
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love it!
Tia
Oct 30, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Waldorf Schooling
My kids are in Waldorf School. I need a basic to understand the pedagogical framework of Steiner's teaching approach.
Karin
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dense book... I'm reading it in a study group. Great images thru words.
Helen
May 27, 2010 added it
plenty
Matt
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Incredible read. Had to repeat many sections many times to digest the thoughts. Thoroughly breaks down our relation to the cosmos. Spirit, soul, and body.
JL Torres
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads, spiritual
A challenging masterpiece of spiritual depiction and instruction.
Jen

• Rudolf Steiner: An Introduction to His Life and Work
  • Saving the Appearances: A Study in Idolatry
  • The Key to Theosophy
  • Yoga Self-Taught
  • All Things are Possible (Apotheosis of Groundlessness)
  • Talks with a Devil
  • The Great Initiates: A Study of the Secret History of Religions
  • The Key to Solomon's Key: Secrets of Magic and Masonry
  • The Meaning of Love
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • The Provincial Letters
  • Sacred Geometry: Philosophy and Practice
  • The Life Divine
  • Reality
  • Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius
  • Initiation Into Hermetics
  • The Metamorphosis of Plants
  • My Way: The Way of the White Clouds
Steiner was a philosopher, social thinker, architect, and esotericist.

"Steiner led this movement through several phases. In the first, more philosophically oriented phase, Steiner attempted to find a synthesis between science and mysticism; his philosophical work of these years, which he termed spiritual science, sought to provide a connection between the cognitive path of Western philosophy and t

Classics in Anthroposophy (8 books)
  • How to Know Higher Worlds: A Modern Path of Initiation (Classics in Anthroposophy)
  • An Outline of Esoteric Science: (cw 13)
  • Intuitive Thinking as a Spiritual Path: A Philosophy of Freedom (Cw 4)
  • The Souls' Awakening: A mystery drama
  • Mystics After Modernism: Discovering the Seeds of a New Science in the Renaissance (Cw 7)
  • Anthroposophy: A Fragment
  • The Spiritual Guidance of the Individual and Humanity: Some Results of Spiritual-Scientific Research Into Human History and Development (Cw 15)
“Just as in the body, eye and ear develop as organs of perception, as senses for bodily processes, so does a man develop in himself soul and spiritual organs of perception through which the soul and spiritual worlds are opened to him. For those who do not have such higher senses, these worlds are dark and silent, just as the bodily world is dark and silent for a being without eyes and ears.” 91 likes
“He who is unwilling to trust to the power of thinking cannot, in fact, enlighten himself regarding higher spiritual facts.” 2 likes