Start by marking “The Araboolies of Liberty Street” as Want to Read:
The Araboolies of Liberty Street

The Araboolies of Liberty Street

The kids of Liberty Street join forces to help the Araboolies when mean General Pinch orders them to move because they look different.
Published April 9th 2001 by Square Fish (first published 1989)

Molly Daybert
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an amazing book about standing up to bigotry and injustice! In "The Araboolies of Liberty Street", there are strict rules that are to be followed. Every house must look the same, and children are not allowed to have fun or else the general will "call in the army!". Then one day the Araboolies roll into town and blow these rules to pieces! Through this fun book, Swope shows that standing up to injustice is always for the better.
Gia
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
I was in the world premiere of the musical version of this amazing parable of fascism. Its message could not be more poignant in this time of war. Sam Swope is a dear friend and a genius!
Clivemichael
Brilliant. Totally engrossing (for a three year old) in its challenge to the status quo.
Desi
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jp-reads, read-to-jp
It was fine from my perspective but JP likes it so much he said he wants his own copy.
Shelli
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun read aloud with a powerful message of standing up for others in the face of bigotry and oppression. Liberty street is a well maintained lovely little street where no one is happy. Children are not allowed to play outside or cause any unnecessary disturbances under the watchful gaze of The General and his nasty wife Mrs. Pinch. When the unusual foreign Araboolie family takes up residence the street will never be the same.
Kelly
I liked the silliness of the book. The kids of Liberty Street like the strange new neighbors and band together to make sure the cranky old neighbors don't drive them out of town.
Rachel
May 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An interesting lesson in diversity and tolerance, matched with some fun pictures, but I found it ironic that in the end everyone had become "diverse". A curious result of those who try so hard to be different is that often they ending up being immersed in a culture that is "different" all together--which is really just being the same, in a smaller group. We could assume that everyone reverted back to their own originalities after the needs of necessity were met, except that the last picture show ...more
Peggy
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
You know, I love this book. The pictures are beautiful, the text is well-written and funny, the story is good... there is just one part that sort of sticks in my craw... at the end when the author makes the comment about armies not being able to think. It just didn't seem to fit - it seemed more like a gripe or a jab from the author. We all understood what was happening and why the army would go to General Pinch's house, we just didn't need that extra commentary, I thought it sort of distracted ...more
Sonnie
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book! I was at a weekend-long meeting and one of the participants had this book. I picked it up to check it out, when the book-owner (who is blind) asked me to read it aloud to the group. What fun! Although this is a children's book that I would love to share with children, it's also a great parable for adults! The illustrations are bright and colorful, and go perfectly with this book. It isn't available as an e-book (as far as I can find), but it's a book that you want to hold in y ...more
Navjot Kaur
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had been on my to-read list for a while so I was excited to finally purchase it. It did not disappoint. Although first published in 1989, the message of acceptance continues to ring true with the strong voices of the Araboolies. The vibrant characters give life to a visual canvas as the story develops. A wonderful book to talk about our differences and how to celebrate them with a splash of colour!
JustOneMoreBook.com
Sep 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Stagnant submissiveness meets infectious effervescence in this rousing exploration of supremacy, perspective and the power of partnership.

Other books mentioned:

* The Swine Snafu

Listen to our chat about The Araboolies of Liberty Street on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:
Jessica Burrows
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers, parents
Shelves: future-classroom
I loved the humor and the message of this book. My professor read this in a class on genocide, and helped drive home the message that genocide is a result of long-term discrimination, fear, hatred, that starts with fear of what is "different". This book is a great (kid appropriate) way to help students understand why someone who is different becomes a target, and how they need to address that fear of the unknown.
Lydia
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite children's books ever. I read it to my kids, but I loved it myself. I read it to my kids' classes. They loved it too. My kids are 18 and 22 now, and probably wouldn't sit still for it, but if you are a fan of children's books that are funny, clever and have a simple but profound social message, try this one.
Heather
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Introduces lots of complex social ideas and concepts to children such as prejudice, conformity and even things like liberty, government/regulations/laws, leadership and control. However, it does so in a way that is playful and fun so children can enjoy the silliness and the bigger ideas can be discussed with a mediating adult.
Marcia
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun, brightly illustrated lesson on tolerance and diversity. It would make a great read-aloud for all ages.
Sheila
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
SO cute! The General in this book reminded me of Uncle Vernon in Harry Potter. I was cheering on the children, saving the day for the Araboolies.
Nikki
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
it is cool
Kieffala
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kieffala by: My Mom :)
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a great book about dealing with people who are different from the "norm". A must read for everyone with children. And please, don't think it's anti-military. It's not about that.
Molly
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Very fun children's book about tolerance.
Ruth Jones
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book
Brianna Crall
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and will most certainly use it when building classroom community.
Isabel
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome. Teaches nonconformity.
Christine Turner
May 17, 2009 rated it it was ok

www.hcpl.net
Whitney Gibson
PB32 a very good book about how people should not judge people before they know them.
Bina
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book. Wacky illustrations about an even wackier family. I WANT to be an Araboolie!
Bobbi