Start by marking “Scottish Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
Scottish Ghost Stories

Scottish Ghost Stories

Inheriting the tradition of Hugh Miller, the nineteenth century folklorist and stonemason (whose own haunted life is the subject of the opening chapter), James Robertson has, where possible, researched the original or oldest written source and visited the site of each story to compile the most comprehensive and authoritative collection of the Scottish supernatural. Some of ...more
Published March 7th 1996 by Sphere (first published March 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Scottish Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scottish Ghost Stories

Janine
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Interesting stories. Only thing I would like is more Aberdeen based stories.
Vibeke
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was just what I needed leading up to Halloween. I enjoy ghost stories, but I don't enjoy nightmares, so I liked the dry, somewhat-skeptical tone. The book also taught me some things I didn't know and makes me want to study 17th century Scotland. There is a great variety of stories from various time periods, so really something for everyone.
Elissavet Kyritsi
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, though not so easy for a Greek to read. Nevertheless it makes you visit Scotland and all the spots that are described by Robertson.
Tippy Jackson
Interesting, but you have to fight through the rather dull writing style. Given the topic, this could have been way more interesting and well-written. Good choice of stories though. After reading through each story, and fighting the author to pick out the interesting details, I would close my eyes and imagine the highlights of the story happening and the reactions of the people witnessing them. Great stuff. My favorite was the running, screaming ghost, who's being chased by Hell-hounds for all e ...more
Sophie Cimon
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
It took me a while to read because some of those stories are really boring. Some are nicer as it is always is in a collection of short stories. The writing style is very dry so it seems that you are really distant from the story which doesn't help making it scary or captivating. I bought it as a souvenir from my trip to Scotland, so I remembered the places I visited while reading and makes me nostalgic. But other than that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Val
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought two copies of this book, one for my daughter who was living in Scotland and one for myself.
It is a very good collection. Some of the stories are based on legends; some of them are new and based on places and history.
Naomi
Oct 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
I found this book to be written much more as a college text studying culture and folklore behind Scottish ghost stories vs. a creepiness factor. I was looking for some scary reading to celebrate the month of October and the scariest thing about this book was how incredibly dry it was written!
Leah
Mar 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
The only short story in this collection that really creeped me out was the first one. The rest of the stories are somewhat amusing, but really dry, and not at all what a reader would expect from a book with "Ghost Stories" in the title.
fox in tundra
Oct 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nudna kniha bez jasneho konceptu, skutocne iba zbierka prihod, v ktorych nejaku ulohu zohraval duch. Zbytocne "dielo", ku ktoremu sa rozhodne nebudem vracat a veru neodporucam nikomu, kto ma rad strasidelne poviedky.
Lena Donan
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Audiobook_Niežeby sa nesnažili, ich výkon asi veľmi nemôžem zahrnúť do nudy, ktorú museli interpretovať. Kto by sa "bál" popri nude?
Joe
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
These scared the crap out of me as a kid, and rediscovering them was a great joy. Wonderful for the ghost fanatic or mythology lover alike.
Wesley
Jan 14, 2017
Elizabeth Scott
Jan 10, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
James Robertson (born 1958) is a Scottish writer who grew up in Bridge of Allan, Stirlingshire. He is the author of several short story and poetry collections, and has published four novels: The Fanatic, Joseph Knight, The Testament of Gideon Mack, and And the Land Lay Still. Joseph Knight was named both the Scottish Arts Council Book of the Year and the Saltire Society Book of the Year in 2003/04. The Testament o ...more