Start by marking “Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure” as Want to Read:
Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure

Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  259 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Under pressure to prepare a quick, nutritious dinner? Under pressure to reduce your fat and cholesterol? When the pressure's on for a great vegetarian meal on the run, turn to Lorna Sass's second guide to the safe and delicious use of the pressure cooker.

Following the phenomenal success of Cooking Under Pressure, this collection of recipes dispels the myth of the difficult
Published October 20th 1994 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure

Monica
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Recently I went on a hunt for cookbooks that would help me get my thoughts organized about how to use food that I have in storage. My goal was to get our family plan for hard times better organized. I found Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure. The day it arrived in my mailbox I sat down to skim through it. I ended up reading it from cover to cover, which I have never done with a cookbook before. I was mesmerized by the perfect fit I had happened upon. I didn’t expect to find a great solution ...more
Stephen
May 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't find that many recipes that were interesting to me, and the ones I did like seemed overly complicated. Perhaps the dishes would be nice and gourmet, but honestly seemed to be more work than typical pressure cook easy recipes. For example, toasting cocounut instead of using coconut milk, or something that I would think should be simple (rice pudding) using chopped crystallized ginger which is not that easy to find and must be a specialized purchase.
Janelle
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have a couple of hefty shelves jammed full of cookbooks. If I could only have 3 cookbooks, though, this one would make the cut. I use it all the time. Lately my most-used recipe is a simple one, for casserole-style brown rice. The rice cooks (with water) in a glass casserole dish set over (more) steaming water, so it sort of boils and steams at the same time. The result is perfect, nutty, separate rice. My kids didn't even notice when we moved from white rice to brown rice cooked this way.

Ano
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recipes are generally vegan (some call for sour cream or parmigiana as a topping, but the main recipe is always vegan as far as I can tell). Nice overview of the types of vegetarian/vegan dishes you can use a pressure cooker for (grain dishes, beans, vegetables, stews). At times seems a bit dated (i.e., says an ingredient will be hard to find that is now mainstream, spices to an Americanized palate). The introduction is invaluable for its instructions on using second generation pressure cookers ...more
Lynda Birch
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Thanks to this book I have gotten more use out of my pressure cooker than ever before. The recipes are clear, concise, easy to follow and well-tested. I love making risotto in the pressure cooker now. Is it identical to making it by hand - maybe not - but it is still super good a lot easier and less time consuming. I love this book and refer to it often.
Carolyn Stein
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vegetarian
Get yourself a pressure cooker and this book and you will never need to worry about what healthy vegetarian food you can quickly make for dinner. This book got me through my masters degree and my beloved's Ph.D. When we had no time to cook but wanted fresh, healthy food, this is where we turned.
Hilary
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-and-drink
This is an okay cookbook, very US centric (so for those of us in the UK, not so ideal!) and she does appear to think that you have a fridge and freezer the size of a small continent - as I said, okay but in my view not brilliant :(
Karen Mellish-May
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best recipe books I've ever used. Almost every single recipe is something I want to try.
Joan
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, mostly vegan, flavorful recipes for the pressure cooker
Jennifer Miera
Jan 16, 2010 added it
Shelves: cooking
I made two recipes from this book and both were, well, alright. Edible. But, honestly, everything was ultra mushy. I think I'll just keep the pressure cooker for cooking beans fast.
Rebecca
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I constantly use her quick cooking times at a glance tables. Excellent instructions on how to use and care for your cooker
Hannah
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book, recommended to me by a very Veggie-savvy co-worker, has inspired me to register for a pressure-cooker in my Target Club Wedd registry. Delicious!
Karla
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is also a good one for anyone who is interested in pressure-cooking. While the recipes are all vegetarian, the educational aspect of how to cook with a pressure cooker is a good one.
Happyreader
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food-and-drink
No vegetarian should be without a pressure cooker or this cookbook. This book is my bean and grain bible.
Stephen
cookbooks
Lisa
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
excellent and still relevant today. lots of vegan recipes, too.
Amy M.
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I must buy this book!
Leigh
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Originally published in 1994, there is no mention of electric pressure cookers. The recipes are good but because of the dated information, other cookbooks would be a better choice.
Mary Lou Burke
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • The Book of Tofu
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven: Over 200 Recipes for Uncommon Soups, Tasty Bites, Side-By-Side Dishes, and Too Many Desserts
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker Recipes
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • Mediterranean Harvest: Vegetarian Recipes from the World's Healthiest Cuisine
  • Classic Indian Vegetarian and Grain Cooking
  • Kansha: Celebrating Japan's Vegan and Vegetarian Traditions
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
Lorna Sass is fondly known as "the Queen of Pressure Cooking." She is also a widely published food writer and an award-winning cookbook author. Check out her new blog: www.pressurecookingwithlornasass.word...

Lorna became interested in pressure cooking during the mid-eighties when most Americans had either never heard of this magical appliance or were afraid of it! Her COOKING UNDER PRESSURE, publi
More about Lorna J. Sass...