Start by marking “To Heal a Fractured World: The Ethics of Responsibility” as Want to Read:
To Heal a Fractured World: The Ethics of Responsibility

To Heal a Fractured World: The Ethics of Responsibility

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
One of the most respected religious thinkers of our time makes an impassioned plea for the return of religion to its true purpose—as a partnership with God in the work of ethical and moral living.

What are our duties to others, to society, and to humanity? How do we live a meaningful life in an age of global uncertainty and instability? In To Heal a Fractured World, Rabbi J
Published February 6th 2007 by Schocken (first published July 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about To Heal a Fractured World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Heal a Fractured World

David
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Heal a Fractured World, by Chief Rabbi Sir Jonathan Sacks, is an amazing book. This is probably the best English-language religious book I've read in a very long time - he issues a clarion call to fight the rising tide of baseless hatred via a response of baseless love, talks about meaning as something which comes from acts of service to others. I was particularly moved both by his analysis (extending Maimonides) of the difference between a Hakham (sage) and a Hasid, and by his description of ...more
James R
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a tremendously engaging, practical and inspirational book on religious ethics. Sacks is clear and unapologetic that he is writing from a Jewish perspective, and that is one of the things that I found most rewarding about it. For non-Jewish readers, of which I am one, the perspective is fascinating. Familiar stories told from another point of view take on amazingly fresh and important meanings. I read each chapter twice because each was so rich in content and implication. The world really ...more
Bookworm
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: judaism
Brilliant book, by a brilliant author. Deep concepts and thoughts on every page. I am reading this with a group, including a wonderful teacher of Jewish Studies and we all take notes and learn so much from it.
Jeff
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, philosophy
The best book I've read in a very long time.
Philip
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this in September 2017. I don't recall when I started reading. It's not a long or even a dense book but, the subject matter is meaning-packed. This was was my "pick up and read a bit and ponder what I read " source of inspiration and motivation for a while. 2 years at least. I have numerous highlights and underlines. I am bound to return periodically to these pages again and again.
Rabbi Sacks has a very engaging readable style. I consider him one of my 'rabbis' and not just because I
Aharon Ta
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing reading on one of the most important topics and the basis of religion and meaning, Responsibility. The way the topic is explained from different perspectives apparently unified in one universal vision through spirituality and meaning is unique. Incredibly inspiring and complete with great academic level of sources and structure. Nonetheless the poetic and characteristic language helps the reader engage in the beliefs and emotions that the author pretend to share with the world. It's the ...more
Jeremy Hopkins
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished in Rosslyn, Nairobi
Aryeh
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, this is the winner book for me this year for Best Theology/Philosophy category. In the book I've most often quoted this year, Rabbi Jonathan Sacks asks big ethical questions: What are our responsibilities to others, to society, and to humanity? and How do we live meaningful lives in an age of global uncertainty and instability. His answers draw on an incredible variety of sources, many classically Jewish and almost as many not. As is often the case with the true prophetic voice, ...more
Susan
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt this was one of the most seminal and readable books on Judaism/yea ethics I have ever read. It has been a very long time since I took notes on a book, scribbled in the margins and turn the leaves down on particular pages. Yes it is about Judaism (and I am a Christian who wanted to know more) but it's explanation of the Bible was excellent and opened me up to some really interesting theories. I strongly recommend this book to anyone curious about religion, ethics, or how to heal a ...more
Buddy
May 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This is an amazing and deeply moving book. Make no mistake, it is written from a religious viewpoint, and a Jewish one. But it speaks of our responsibilities to all people of all faiths or no faith at all. Anyone will enjoy this book. Sometime in the future, I will read it again, something I rarely do.
Adrian Astur Alvarez
By far the best book on Jewish ethics (or even Judaism) I have ever read. Rabbi Sacks articulates sophisticated concepts using a clear, easy to follow style. I recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in ethics or Judaism, or to anyone who wonders why I scoff when I hear the term "Judeo-Christian."
Craig Bergland
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ethics, judaism
An excellent view not only of ethics but of Judaism as well. As someone who is not Jewish, I came away with a much better understanding of Judaism and the Hebrew Bible. Immensely enjoyable and highly recommended!
Anu
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, religion
This book is my single favorite read on religion; it's intellectually deep, soul-shaking, life-affirming, and entirely quotable. Not for the faint of heart; this book asks a lot of a reader, but gives a lot more in return.
Joan DeArtemis
Amazing book! I learned so much about deep Judaism, while, at the same time, I was shown practical applications for a spiritual scaffolding for virtually any religion. I would like to read it again... take copious notes...
Josh Franklin
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best Jewish books that I have ever read. Rabbi Sachs integrates personal narrative, Jewish text, and high level thought into this masterpiece on Jewish ethics. His word are both aspirational and deeply intellectual. This belongs on any reading list about Judaism.
Rebecca
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish
A friend recommended this book to me, and I was captivated by Rabbi Sacks's logical and yet heartfelt argument that humans are required to build and heal the world around us. Excellent for Jewish and non-Jewish readers of an intellectual or spiritual bent.
Susan Rothenberg
A very thoughtful book in which, based on Jewish text, Rabbi Sacks clearly outlines each person's responsibility to make the world a better place to live. An added side-note - two of the recomendation blurbs on the cover are from Christian groups.
Sep 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rabbi Sacks does an excellent job of taking centuries of thought on Jewish ethic, and putting a lovely smiley face on it. Still, when you want to feel good about the responsibilities you have towards others and want to put a little thought behind it, Sacks is your man.
Marnie
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wealth of knowledge. I am getting so much out of this book!
Jean Kelly
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was so well written for any audience and the lessons to be learn are sore needed in our world today
Sharyn
G-d can be both omnipotent and benevolent if I believe G-d also gave us free will... and needs us to take care of justice here on Earth.
ReadingBear
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do more to help each other.
Adriana
  • Everyday Holiness: the Jewish Spiritual Path of Mussar
  • The Book of Jewish Values: A Day-by-Day Guide to Ethical Living
  • Living a Jewish Life
  • Why the Jews?
  • The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse on the Essence of Jewish Existence and Belief
  • This Is Real and You Are Completely Unprepared: The Days of Awe as a Journey of Transformation
  • The Beginning of Desire
  • To Pray As A Jew: A Guide To The Prayer Book And The Synagogue Service
  • Everyman's Talmud: The Major Teachings of the Rabbinic Sages
  • Standing Again at Sinai: Judaism from a Feminist Perspective
  • Naming the Elephant: Worldview as a Concept
  • Good and Evil
  • To Life: A Celebration of Jewish Being and Thinking
  • The New Joys of Yiddish: Completely Updated
Jonathan Henry Sacks, Baron Sacks, Kt is the Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregations of the Commonwealth. His Hebrew name is Yaakov Zvi.

As the spiritual head of the United Synagogue, the largest synagogue body in the UK, he is the Chief Rabbi of the mainstream British orthodox synagogues, but not the religious authority for the Federation of Synagogues or the Union of Orthodox Hebrew Congre
More about Jonathan Sacks...