Start by marking “Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1)” as Want to Read:
Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1)

Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  27,873 Ratings  ·  351 Reviews

Despite his considerable physical decline, Caramon undertakes a quest to save Raistlin from evil. Can Caramon even hope to save his twin brother? At the same time, the beautiful cleric Crysania has undergone a mission to redeem Raistin. Will she meet success or be drawn into evil as well? Can a reunion of the Companions be far behind?

Mass Market Paperback, First Printing, 398 pages
Published February 1986 by TSR, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Time of the Twins, please sign up.

Nevada While it has been a long time since I read the series, I remember the Legends series being a standalone from Chronicles. Chronicles will provide…moreWhile it has been a long time since I read the series, I remember the Legends series being a standalone from Chronicles. Chronicles will provide significant backstory and greater depth of feeling for the characters, but you don't have wait. I also don't remember any spoilers in either.

I loved these books (both series) and would hate for you to miss out because you were waiting for the others. Hope this helps!(less)

Markus
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.”

That line is unfortunately not from this book, nor even from this universe. However, in addition to being a favourite of mine, it describes this book perfectly.

The War of the Lance is over. The Queen of Darkness and her Dragon Highlords have been defeated against all odds. But Krynn is devastated by the conflict, and new dangers lurk in the shadows. In solitude in the Tower of High Sorcery, a familiar wizard is setting his
Dale
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragonlance
This was the first book I read when I started my new bus/train commute. But, this was not the first Dragonlance book I've ever read. It was the tenth. Dragonlance is a gigantic moneymaking franchise that runs off the insatiable appetites of geeks, among which I count myself. It's almost besides the point for me to review the book at all, because it's so niche. Either you "get it" or you don't. But, shoot, I'll give it a try.

The original Dragonlance trilogy (which I read in high school) was about
Brad
Mar 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love this book despite the fact that about half of it is steeped in serious suckiness. The fact is, at least for me, that the excellent bits in Time of the Twins are far more excellent than the excellent bits in the three Dragonlance books that preceded this one (and those books had some excellent bits), making Time of the Twins a favourite of mine.

Sucky Bits:
Sucky -- This story hinges on the corruption of the Kingpriest of Istar. The Kingpriest arrogantly (and weakly) calls on the gods to com
Joseph
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's actually kind of surprising that these books exist, at least in their current form.

The original Dragonlance Chronicles was the trilogy that launched a thousand other D&D tie-in novels; a wildly successful story in which the Forces of Evil were pitted against a half-elf, a dwarf, a Hobbitkender, a knight, a plainsman and a cleric. Oh, yes, and a fighter and his sickly twin brother mage. And there were epic journeys and dangers and setbacks, and a few tragic deaths, but in the end the afo
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a 4, but I'm actually calling it a 4.5 because I absolutely devoured it. Fantasy books like this are my guilty pleasure, mainly because I feel like I should be spending my time reading "classics" and whatnot, but I had a blast diving back into the Dragonlance universe. I read some of the books when I was younger, and I'm ready to read some more!

I started with the Legends trilogy because, well... angsty brothers are my weakness. I remember loving Caramon and Raistlin and their co
Elar
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Book itself is worth 4 stars, but i really do not like the way author thinks that it is logical and normal to do heavy time travelling in this D&D series. For fantasy there should not be limits, but it just seems desperate, also execution in that kind of meld must be extra fine and here it is not.
Joey Hines
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragonlance, dragons
I enjoyed the Dragonlance Chronicles in a Tolkien-lite type of way. Time of the Twins, however, really stands apart from the series that preceded it. This book mainly concerns the relationship between Caramon and Raistlin and the unpredictable force of Tasslehoff. These three were easily my favorite characters from Chronicles, so it's a thrill to see them get so much focus. New character Crysania has a well-developed struggle between her clerical faith and the callings of her heart, making this ...more
Jenny
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad I found a website that told me which order to read the Dragonlance books in. Of course, I thought to look it up after reading The Second Generation, which takes place after the Twins trilogy, but still. This first book in the trilogy is a fitting continuation of the Dragons trilogy. The Dragons of Spring Dawning ends in such a darkly suggestive way, and this book picks up on that tone right away. Weis and Hickman introduce new characters but bring back enough former characters to keep f ...more
Chris
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Dragonlance fan since 1988. While I've loved most of the books, the Twins(Caramon and Raistlin Majere) were never my favorite characters. Friends have always said that Legends is a better trilogy than Chronicles (which started it all and am on my fourth reread.)

I probably should have listened to them. The first book was fantastic.

Raistlin(a powerful mage of the black robes(evil) and younger of the Twins)is one of the most devious characters around. He doesn't let you down, in his
Scott
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the Chronicles trilogy before it, this book is an oddly addictive hack job. Early on, you will find out Raistlin is thinly muscled. Then almost every chapter makes reference to his lean muscles. She felt his lean muscles through his robes. His thinly muscled form wrapped around her body. She could see his lean muscles through the silk of his black robes. Crysania also repeatedly smells his spell components while simultaneously noticing his thin muscles. These muscles can be found under his ...more
Scott Kaelen
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Time, War and Test of the Twins are, to me, the best that Weis & Hickman have ever written. They are to 'Chronicles' what Lord of the Rings was to The Hobbit.
The books are best read as one volume; I still have my original TSR 1987 omnibus hardback edition.
Each character is unique and memorable. Some, though, are a bit cliche and somewhat two-dimensional, but those particular roles are quite small in this trilogy. The twins, Caramon and Raistlin are the main stars here, especially Raistlin. A
David
Mar 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a fabulous tale and if you want to read any Dragonlance series, this is it. It’s a tale involving going back in time which is normally fraught with difficulty in writing a sensible plot. The authors’ do this amazingly well and this is a haunting tale. Characterisation is brilliant and fantasy fans will be enthralled by the main characters. Cameron and Raistlin are twins but more different twins you could not get. In this tale Cameron is a shadow of his former strength. Drink has brought ...more
Lindsay Scott
RAISTLIN! Imagine my glee when I learned as an overexcitable preteen girl that there was a whole trilogy of books that featured my favorite character. (And apparently everyone else's.) Oh how my girlhood trembled. lol I wish I were kidding.

If I went back and read these books now, I'm sure I would still enjoy them despite the fact that I now see them in a different light. Sure, they aren't original and they use just about every fantasy cliche there is. But it's not like I knew that when I first r
rosshalde
İlk seriye kıyasla çok daha iyi ve akıcı olduğunu düşünüyorum. Bunda daha çok Raistlin okumanın da etkisi olabilir. Umarım serinin devamı bu şekilde gider.
Zoran Krušvar
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Dragonlance: Legends" is actually a good series. And that's weird, because game-inspired books do tend to suck big time. I give most credit for complexity of Raistlin's character and for the fact that Caramon suffers from PTSD. And that's just great, because too often fantasy heroes tend to be completely immune to distress and we know that human mind doesn't work that way.
Angeli
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragonlance-saga
If you'd like to read my thoughts on Time of the Twins, I talk about it on my blog!
Duygu
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Serinin şimdiye kadar okuduğum en iyi kitabı! Raistlin rocks!!
Christie
Nov 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: posted-on-blog
Annathelle26
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Dragons of Autumn Twilight was amazing, and somehow this book managed to be even better!
I loved the dialogues and the refined, archaic-ish writing style, I find it perfect for the epic fantasy genre. The little cameos and the humorous parts were also really enjoyable. The plot was even more interesting than that of Dragons of Autumn Twilight, I guess mostly because it involved less main characters rather than a whole bunch of them, including some I personally never grew to care about. This time,
Dru
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, gaming
This will be my same review for all 7 books in the original double-trilogy (plus the 7th add on years later).

There are few D&D novelizations out there that are really worth reading. Only two series have I loved, and the original 6 (became 7) "Dragonlance" novels are one of those great series. (Gord the Rogue is the other).

At first when I read this, I was a bit put off because the "Krynn" world did not "agree" with D&D. The gods had different names (Bahamut = Paladine, Tiamut = Takhesis)
Bianca Klein Haneveld
Since this book stands out for the way it offers insights in its very interesting characters, I will focus this review on them.
The titular twins Caramon and Raistlin stole my heart in the original trilogy. Caramon, brave, good, honest and completely devoted to his twin brother. Raistlin, bitter, brilliant, evil on first sight but oddly (but convincingly) compessionate at key moments... they are fascinating. This book hints at ways to see their complex relationship that makes these characters eve
evan
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Continuing my re-read of the Dragonlance novels that I loved as a teenager. I remember liking Chronicles more than Legends: Legends, in same ways, is a more character driven, internal story rather than a grand adventure. I probably liked the grand adventure more as a kid.

I'm not sure how I feel about the first book in the series. In some ways the writing is better than that in chronicles (the authors have now written 4 books and you can see them improving as craftsmen) but at the same time, ther
Dylan
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
DragonLance: Chronicles and Legends are two trilogies that hold a really special place in my heart. So much so that I can't really divvy them up into separate reviews. I don't even think I could give an objective review of the books.

But if I know this: if I've had to replace a book from over-reading, that's amazing. I've had to replace these 6 books so many times that I keep spare copies around just in case. True story.

Chronicles Trilogy:

Dragons of Autumn Twilight
Dragons of Winter Night
Dragon
0rkun
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriyi geç okuduğum için pişmanım. Pişmanlığımın en büyük nedeni ise seriyi tekrardan basan yayınevinin İthaki olması. Senelerdir onlarca kitap okudum ama bu kadar yazım hatası olan bir başka kitaba (hatta seriye) rastlamadım. Bir yayınevi böyle önemli bir seriyi yayınlarken hiç mi özenmez, aklım almıyor.

Yine de yazım hatalarını görmezden gelerek bitirmeye çalışıyorum her kitabı, başarıyorum da. Efsaneler serisi, ilgimi fazlasıyla çeken Raistlin odaklı bir seri olduğu için başlangıç hikayesinin
 ☆Ruth☆
Another great read from the Dragonlance series. I do sometimes have a slight problem with time travel stories, which - being of a logical turn of mind - I find a bit confusing. However because I was so involved in the book, I was able to let myself glide over the bits I didn't quite follow without disrupting the narrative too much :).
I'm immediately into the second book in this section of the series as I now have to know what happens next!
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
Small Review: My two favourite characters are on this book. Raistlin and Tassheloff. Caramon and Crysania are in it too. Interesting tale about the mind of Raistlin and the quest to rule the Abyss overthrowing Takhisis. This was the tale of Finstandituls and Raistlin travelled back in time to fulfilled it. Interesting tale.
Jason
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-long-ago
The Dragonlance series was a love of mine as a young teenager. They are one of the main reasons that I love fantasy so much today. These are the perfect young adult fantasy novels that are very well geared towards boys...

I loved them..
Jay
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans
Much better then the entire first trilogy!! This book made wading through those previous books worth it. The characters of Raistlin, Caramon and Tasselhof are much more developed here and the story is incredibly compelling.
James
Sep 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
TS Chan
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this a long time ago and I remembered that I really liked it. But that's before I was exposed to the likes to Feist, Jordan and now Sanderson. And yep, I was one of those fangirls who like Raistlin over Caramon.
  • The Legend of Huma (Dragonlance: Heroes, #1)
  • The Qualinesti (Dragonlance: Elven Nations, #3)
  • Night of the Eye (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #1)
  • The Measure and the Truth (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #3)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Dark Heart (Dragonlance: Meetings Sextet, #3)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • The Gates of Thorbardin (Dragonlance: Heroes, #5) (Heroes II, #2)
  • Brothers Majere (Dragonlance: Preludes, #3)
  • Knight of the Black Rose (Ravenloft, #2)
  • Betrayal (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #2)
  • City of the Lost (Dragonlance: Linsha, #1)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Dragonlance: Legends (3 books)
  • War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)
  • Test of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #3)
“I can kill with a single word. I can hurl a ball of fire into the midst of my enemies. I rule a squadron of skeletal warriors, who can destroy by touch alone. I can raise a wall of ice to protect those I serve. The invisible is discernible to my eyes. Ordinary magic spells crumble in my presence... But I bow in the presence of a master.

-- Lord Soth to Raistlin Majere”
23 likes
“Rule the world," Raistlin repeated softly, his eyes burning. "Rule the world? You still don't undestand, do you, my dear sister? Let me make this as plain as I know how." Now it was his turn to stand up. Pressing his thin hands upon the desk, he leaned towards her, like a snake.
"I don't give damn about the world!" he said softly. "I could rule it tomorrow, if I wanted it! I don't.”
8 likes