Start by marking “Star Soldier (Doom Star, #1)” as Want to Read:
Star Soldier (Doom Star, #1)

Star Soldier

(Doom Star #1)

It’s survival of the fittest in a terrible war of extinction!

Created in the gene labs as super soldiers, the Highborn decided to replace the obsolete Homo sapiens. They pirated the Doom Stars and captured the Sun Works Ring around Mercury. Now, they rain asteroids, orbital fighters and nine-foot drop troops onto Earth in a relentless tide of conquest.

Marten Kluge is on
Published June 16th 2010

To ask other readers questions about Star Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Soldier

Start your review of Star Soldier (Doom Star, #1)
Mike (the Paladin)
I read this on my Kindle and then tried the audio...no big difference:

Again with the dreaded 3 star rating. This of course can mean anything it seems. For me it can mean anything from pretty good to not good but well written.

This is an interesting book, with an interesting plot, based on an interesting idea. I definitely plan to follow the series.

Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

On Earth ruled by a totalitarian government fighting a civil war with the colonies of the outer planets the people are controlled and "happy". You better be happy because if you aren't, if you're different, if you want to
Glenn Thurmond
Nov 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
1 star Mr Heppner of all your books, this is the worst one I've read or at least tried to read.

unrealistic, characters weird, story line wanders like a writing that is not following a story outline. This may be a poor start for a series. can't spend the money to find out.
Steven Stennett
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Reminds me of the cinema on a Saturday morning back in the day, when you went to see something like Flash Gorden. A rip roaring yarn that you don't have to be overly concerned about the science fiction content. Solar system based warfare done really well, which sets it apart from the usual intergalactic battles that are waged! ...more
Gabriel
Nov 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Entertaining but the book is somewhat riddled with repeated passages and could have used a more thorough editor.
C. A.
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lots of sub plots. Military & Political intrigue. Like main character but lots of time spent on the military & political environment character lives in. Thing is it is bluntly truthful about the actions of these particular political forms of government. We don't learn from history because we wrongly believe our predecessors were not capable of thinking as well as we do. Their brains are the same as ours having more gadgets does not change human nature or ones ability to think things through. I t ...more
Michael
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall, this is a very good story and plot - I could believe the scenario - and well worth the 99 cent Kindle price. I am going to buy the second book in the series to see where the author takes me.

As another review said, this one could really use an editor / proofreader to spell chack as well as to make sure the words are on the right context in the sentence as it did become annoying here and there: where vs. wear, etc.

Editing aside, this is a good tale.
Charles  van Buren
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Star soldier, August 21, 2014

Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: Star Soldier (Doom Star Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

A good read with something to say about individualism in a seemingly impossible situation. A situation in which totalitarian factions don't allow thinking for ones self. I will buy the sequel.
Ken
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
At last a fresh story line

Master sci-fi guru, Vaughn Heppner, caught me again. Another 5,or is it 6, books up ahead. I’m drooling with anticipation. Martens journey to freedom awaits. Heppner’s fluid writing style and craftily engineered plots insures that the journey will be exciting one.
Jiffy52
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story.

I started with book 1 of 3, Alien Honor (A Debris Novel), because of a email recommendation. After finishing it, I found out there were 7 books before that 3 book series. I am very glad that I did.
robert la barbera
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Two stars

A long drawn out epic. To hard to follow for me, you must sit down and read the. Sole book at once
Jason Whitney
Good read.

I recommend this book to someone looking for military sci-fi and dystopian futures. The book features great characters. Give it a shot hard to put down once you start.
Bryan A Stewart
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book from a favorite author
Perry Reed
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Doom Star series of books are one of the best sci-fi book series I've read in a very long time!

They're set in the distant future where Earth and most of the inner planets in our solar system are ruled by the communist Social Unity, who brutally repress their subjects. The main character, Martin Kluge, starts the first book by escaping the Sun Works Factory, an enormous space station ringing Mercury. He flees to Earth where most people live in giant cities buried miles deep into the ground.

As
Mike Nemeth
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Vaughn Heppner launches into his Doom Star series with a vengence. Marten Kluge is a pain in the neck kind of guy who happens to live in space with his parents. He didn't get much of a break growing up, and life got a lot worse when his family organized a union rebellion that was stomped by the government. Forced into a life of hiding, he helps when he can. Then his mother and father are killed and he must escape to Earth. There he attempts to blend in. But society has become Big Brother meets p ...more
Kevin
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting start to a series. Earth is under socialist rule. Vaughn makes out all socialists to be idiots. THe biggest idiots are the party leaders. This seems to me a stereotype used in these types of books. Get over that and you have a good story brewing.

The oppressed are sent to war against super humans (made by humans but turned against their makers). Some who survive but are captured are offered the opportunity to join the super humans in their war. Basically slaves whichever way they l
Richard
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, e-book
Bleak, dark, intense, grim, brutal, hopelessness, gloomy, suffocating...not the best way to described this quick-paced futuristic sci-fi military novel. As bleak as Star Soldier (Doom Star #1) is, I enjoyed reading this sci-fi novel and the way the story unfolded.

Earth in the future is a planet ruled with an iron fist by the Social Unity, similar to 1984 or Nazi Germany, lots of paranoia. Due to overcrowding on the surface, most people are forced to live in underground cities. Planets within the
Robert Largent
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I read the first book off of the Kindle Lenders Library for free.

The concept is valid, the story is ok, not a lot of closure in character story lines. As soon as a character becomes interesting it dies or disappears from the story. One character is introduce then poof, never mentioned again. Maybe they reappear elsewhere?

The worst thing about this book is the editing. When you have to read a paragraph three times and then still end up guessing what the author intended to say, it is not edited
Doc
Dec 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I have very mixed feelings about this whole series.

The author is clearly not polished. Much of the writing is quite good, then I'll come across an incorrect word usage (verses vs. versus, used repeatedly), awkward sentence construction, or just something a bit weird that a good editor would correct. Which leads me to believe that these are self-edited and self-published.

The overall plot is interesting, although it has some holes. The characters are a bit shallow/cardboard, as well.

And that said,
Campbell, c
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Will earth survive?

Third set of books by this author. Slowly I get to figuring out where he is going but once established I can put it down. Have gotten used to audio books so instead of being lazy I. An work and listen. Young man and his family have hidden out and fought controlling factions until the loss of his parents. He changes his actions to protect himself and find way to continue course of destruction of ruling class. Then he goes on to face the Doom Star. Downloading next book now. Goo
Arjen Schwarz
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
The first part of a series, but it didn't convince me enough to read the other books. The background for the story was a bit over the top in how it was set up. It also didn't really try to explain the inconsistencies inherent in the various governments, or how they came to be. That I could deal with, but the story simply didn't work for me either. There was no connection with the protagonist that could draw you into the story. ...more
Eve Mcfadden
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
This is the first in a great SF series, the first SF I've read in a while. There are a lot of plots, but they all mesh and Heppner keeps them all from getting tangled. There are interesting themes about politics, freedom, security and the dangers of science, and what makes one human. One roots for Marten Kluge, the hero, but also for various other characters, such as Osadar Di, a woman who's in the wrong place at the wrong time once too often. ...more
Mark
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Took a while to empathise with the main character, just about got there in the end. I was not convinced that the author managed to convey the sheer scale of some of the concepts, geology, geography or space which contributed to my edging towards indifferent response to the book. I'm not sure I'll move through the series which, is unusual for me as I love a good long read :) ...more
Sonja
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great character development...

Another fascinating group of characters that are quick to grab your interest. Well developed storyline, but at times a little too much detail in the strategy of the war games for my taste.

I will continue reading this series because I've grown very fond of Marten and look forward to his ongoing quest for freedom.
Stephanie
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Military science fiction. Good story. Interesting how the plot draws out. Kid is on orbiting space station (really, really huge) and parent die while he escapes. Next, he is on Earth. Overpopulation is ridiculously high and there were a few issues I had with the science in this thing. Otherwise. I think you will enjoy this. Looking forward to the next in this series.
Francis J Mallalieu
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Viciousness, misery and desperation.

The story of a man's journey from an orbital station around Mercury to the depths of an underground mine, then to the slaughterhouse of a war's front lines. Compelling and well written. The lead protagonist is well developed and very sympathetic.
A very good book, I could not put it down.
David
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had not come across this author before but took a chance and really enjoyed the book. Pretty hard-core military action with interesting protagonist and foes. Will definitely read the others in this series.
Scott Voyles
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good reading

I really like this author and in this new series things started slow but got interesting really quick. As usual there is enough reality to keep things in check but still make for a fascinating read
Walton Wells
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good Read

The principal character portrayal was excellent and with style. The end was a little disappointing because of the abruptness. However I plan on reading the follow on piece.
Carl Bailey
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
View of the future under socialist rule mixed with space colonization and a rising new fascism. More twists and sub-plots than you can keep track of. Underlying theme is the impact of one man in the scheme of things. After this one I had to read the rest of the series and did so in two weeks.

• Banishment (The Forgotten Empire, #1)
  • The Battle For Earth (The Forgotten Empire, #3)
  • Fracture (First Colony #8)
  • Earth Ascendant (The Forgotten Empire, #2)
  • Harbinger (First Colony, #9)
  • Edge World (Undying Mercenaries #14)
  • Savage Homecoming (Omega Force, #3)
  • A Price Too High (The Frontiers Saga: Part 2: Rogue Castes, #12)
  • Contact Front (Drop Trooper #1)
  • A Line in the Sand (The Frontiers Saga: Part 2: Rogue Castes #14)
  • The Complete Void Wraith Saga: Books 1 - 6 in the Epic Military Science Fiction Series
  • Return of the Corinari (The Frontiers Saga: Part 2: Rogue Castes, #13)
  • The Pandora Paradox (Omega Force #12)
  • USS Hamilton: Ironhold Station
  • Attack Plan Alpha (Blood on the Stars #16)
  • Boneshaker (Terran Scout Fleet #2)
  • Danger Close (Drop Trooper #3)
  • A Pivot In Time (Alien Artifact Book 2)
You can visit Vaughn at www.vaughnheppner.com

I was born in Canada and remember as a small boy crawling in my snow-fort. I closed my eyes, and when I tried to open them, they were frozen shut. I didn't panic, but wiped away the ice crystals, unglued my eyes and kept on building my tunnel. Those were great days! I moved to Central California before seventh grade and couldn't believe I lived in a lan

Doom Star (6 books)
  • Bio-Weapon (Doom Star, #2)
  • Battle Pod (Doom Star, #3)
  • Cyborg Assault (Doom Star, #4)
  • Planet Wrecker (Doom Star, #5)
  • Star Fortress (Doom Star #6)