Start by marking “Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)

Embrace

(The Violet Eden Chapters #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  24,976 ratings  ·  2,045 reviews
It starts with a whisper.

It's time for you to know who you are..."

Stange dreams leave her with very real injuries and there's a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms. The guy she thought she could fall in love with just told her he's only half-human - oh, and same goes for her. And she keeps hearing a distant fluttering of wings.

Violet Eden is having a very bad 17th
Published October 1st 2010 by Hachette Australia (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Embrace, please sign up.
Firecat I would say it varies as with any book. It depends on several factors. How mature the individual in question is (everyone has varying levels,…moreI would say it varies as with any book. It depends on several factors. How mature the individual in question is (everyone has varying levels, regardless of their age, and no 2 people of the same age will ever have the exact same maturity level); Religious views if you have any (there are people both Christian and otherwise offended by the Harry Potter books, for example, where others again both Christian and otherwise love them for the portrayal of strong friendships, bravery, loyalty, etc); the individual in question's reading/comprehension levels (different from maturity, they may be mature but have difficulty reading and understanding something).

My best advice to you is... if you're in doubt, read the book yourself first. If you're uncomfortable giving this book as a gift to someone else's teen, or if you're uncomfortable allowing your own to read it, look for something more in line with your views (if your own teen) or the parent's views (if someone else's teen). This applies to any book, and with movies... watch it first for yourself if you're in doubt and use your best judgement from there.

(I know this is very late in coming from when you posted the question, but I hope it helps others now and in the future all the same.)(less)
Victoria Barrett I am not positive but I believe it takes place in one of the big cities in America. Somewhere in a state that is near New York, I don't think they…moreI am not positive but I believe it takes place in one of the big cities in America. Somewhere in a state that is near New York, I don't think they traveled very long on the plane to the Academy. I always thought it was Chicago. (less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  24,976 ratings  ·  2,045 reviews

Start your review of Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters, #1)
Alex
Sep 18, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm gonna go full on out with this book. Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings but...this book was a waste of my time.
I was doing this:
the whole time.
Violet Eden, the main character, was a whiney, selfish, lust driven, and not to mention stupid girl. I face palmed myself so many times while reading. She does the stupidest things in this book, and she is so selfish it drives me mad. Okay, you don't have a life anymore. Your new life is killing exiled angels and keeping humanity safe with
Caitlin
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is just as perfect as I remember.

Me whenever Lincoln's name is mentioned:

Me @ Violet

Me @ Phoenix

Pre review

"Reading for the second time"

Hahaha yeah nah.

I picked this series up in 2011. I was 14 years old. I am now almost 20 years old. Basically, I spent a solid 4 or so years of my life of just reading these books. Yes you've read that right. I could read all 5 books in this series within 1-2 weeks and I repeatedly read the entire series over and over and over again for about 4 years.
Ava
I have never been more infuriated with a book.

Vlog coming soon, dedicated to Kelly-Jane since she wanted me to rant. :D

Insta-love, insta-lust, insta-sex, terrible, selfish, creepy characters, dull plot that made no sense. I'm not going to bother wring a review for this.
Joy (joyous reads)
After reading Embrace by Jessica Shirvington, there are two things that I've more or less decided to stay the hell away from:

First, ANGEL novels - with the exception of Angelfall series by Susan Ee and Daughter of Smoke and Bone series Laini Taylor.

Second, LOVE TRIANGLES. Jesus Murphy Jones, woman. You've read the synopsis. You know there were two guys mentioned that the MC is caught in the middle of and yet, you've went ahead and spent a hefty sum of money bringing these books from Australia!
ambsreads
DNF @ 9%

Embrace was a book I desperately wanted to like. Not for me. For the sake of one of my new Goodreads friends Caitlin. I know if I had read this book six years ago it would have been my favourite, much like how I loved Halo but would despise it now.

Caitlin told me that I was nitpicking, but in all honestly I couldn't help it. My body kept folding in on itself to cringe at the writing style and the protagonist thoughts. So, I didn't even get to the actual storyline of the book. We also
Giselle
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, arc
This is one of those books that as soon as I read the synopsis, I was instantly attracted to it. Mysterious tattoos, dream injuries, good vs evil battles - it definitely caught my attention. Sadly, I didn't fall love with it, but it's still a fun book full of plot twists that kept my attention throughout.

Violet is our main character, she's just learning that there's a whole world out there she didn't know existed, and she's right in the middle of it all. She is one of those characters that is
TheBookSmugglers
Mar 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

Violet Eden (yep, that’s her name, because it’s a story about ANGELS, get it?! EDEN!) hates her birthday, because it’s also the grim reminder of the day that her mother died in childbirth. It’s no surprise, then, that Violet is not looking forward to her seventeenth birthday party, even though she’ll be with the people she cares most about in the world – her workaholic and emotionally distant father, perky best friend Stephanie, and her crush/mentor
Em
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Kicks Halo's arse...loved it!
I've been rather disappointed in most of the Angel books that have come my way recently - too slow, too insipid (seriously, I couldn't even read Halo without snorts of derision and finally gave up for the sake of my colleagues sanity) and too whiny.
EMBRACE was none of these - it's smart, intriguing, fast paced and thoroughly enjoyable. Violet is a character that is easy to root for - she is believable and strong and is essentially (besides the obvious) a teenager
Nic
Jul 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of Fallen
Brittany
Oct 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing

WOW. I was absolutely blown away at how much I enjoyed this debut novel! I was getting tired of reading Angel stories, but this one was so blissfully different. I highly recommend it!

First of all I have to say - I can't believe this is Jessica Shirvington's first story! It was simply amazing and so well-written. The story was perfectly mapped out and planned, it unfolded at a great pace and almost everything was explained in a timely fashion. Instead of a huge slew of questions with no
Mimi Valentine
**Giveaway, guest post, and interview with Jessica Shirvington on my blog today! Contest ends on April 27th, 2012. Good luck, everyone! :)**

I honestly had to stop re-reading Embrace just to start this review! It's the kind of book that catches your attention from page one and keeps it long even after the last page is turned. Make sure that you have lots of time when you start this because you won't be able to put it down!

Embrace is about angels, but it's in no way just another angel book! There
Melissa
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
OMG OMG OMG! This book blew me away and all other angel books out of my mind, well maybe not my Hush, Hush but close. This author wrote an amazing book, it was mind blowing.

This book pulls you in from the beginning, makes you addicted and wanting more. It was kind of like a drug but in a good way. I tried to go to bed but all I could think about was this book and it only happened with two other series!!!!

The characters in this book are real and kickass. Violet is just plain amazing, she is
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
Okay, I liked the idea of the book
The whole concept is completely original and interesting
The problem is...
It didn't focus on the angels
It focused on Violet's love life

Here's the thing....
I did not like Violet
She was annoying
selfish
whiny
made bad choices
and all she thinks about is boys

And then there's the love triangle
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS!
How is it possible for a girl like Violet to get ONE guy to like her?!
But TWO guys like her?!
Wait... no, let me rephrase that
TWO guys LOVE her!
I just do not
Nasty Lady MJ
Apr 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Twi Hards
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: Library Feature Reads Shelf
To see full review click here.

I think I need to lower my standards. I really do. This wasn't a horrible book. Was it meh, definitely. So meh in fact I didn't finish it. But it's not like it's the worst thing I ever read which actually has me feeling sort of, well, weird. And what's weirder is the press that this piece of...okay, I'll calm down now and review the book.

Ugh.

Whenever I read books like this I can only think hamster wheel. Because I've read this story thousand of times before. I'm
Melanie
EDIT: Can people just ignore this review. THIS IS ALLLLL EMPTY SPACE. Man, I was such a terrible reviewer back then. I have definitely seen my improvement.

WARNING: Spoilers

Look I had great expectations when I stared to read this book. And with about 75 pages left in the book, I was extremely willing to give this 2 stars. The characters were great, well described and definable, the plot was interesting, loved its complexity and twists. However here was a list of things that I totally detested
Lindsay
Feb 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really? I can't believe this got so many good reviews, because I couldn't find a single redeeming quality in it. Ugh. Terrible protagonist, flat characters, and boring storyline (wait, a storyline? where?!). I guess a pretty cover isn't everything.

Full Review:

There have been some great entries into the YA fantasy world lately with angel lore, and after reading many positive reviews for this one, I thought I'd give it a shot. (It also didn't hurt that the cover is so gorgeous.)

Within the first
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
4.5/5

Embrace was a very good start to this series, one that I will definitely continue to read. There was so much romance, action, suspense, danger, myths, and plot twists that I couldn't stop reading. I am very glad that I read it after it was on my to-read list for a while.

Violet Eden is a strong female lead that, most of the time, I enjoyed reading and learning about. Other times, she was frustrating but everyone is so it was more relate-able. She did make mistakes and was stubborn but it
shre ♡
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The plot was unique (gives a whole new meaning to evil vs good angels), the characters were kick-ass, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book and was deeply engrossed in it noticing how I spent only 4-5 hours finishing it! :D I RECOMMEND!

Jillian Heise
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on Heise Reads & Recommends

You know that kind of book...the one when you start reading that book, you're immediately swept into the fantasy world created? The one where you're connecting with the characters - laughing and cringing and reacting with them? The one where you stay up too late reading, no matter what you have going on the next day, because you can't wait to find out where the story is going? The one where you find yourself frantically turning the pages,
Karen Brooks
Apr 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Having been generally disappointed with the spate of angels books out there (Fallen being an example - though well written, it was described by one reviewer as moving at glacial speed and I think that was accurate), this book was recommended to me by someone whose judgement I trust....I was not disappointed.

In Embrace, Shirvington has laid the foundation for a terrific series that commences with the 17th birthday of the heroine, Violet Eden and an unusual gift her mother has left for her. Her
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
With YA angel fic, it's so easy to spot the gems among the piles and piles of crap. This book, however, blended right into the pile. It wasn't even the memorable kind of bad. The whole time I was reading I just kept sighing like, "Really? This shit again?" because once again, there's not a lot of originality there, and the vapid insta-love made it all the more insufferable. DNF. Chose not to waste any more of my time.
Colleen Houck
Dec 19, 2011 added it
Shelves: angels
The angel lore in this book is extremely well thought out. It will be interesting to see who Violet's angel parent is. Love the cover too!
Robert Sylwery
Deities of all nations, help me not to break my Kindle and stomp on it! Save my nerves...

description

One of my absolutely least favorite characters I was so unlucky to meet. I officially hate Violet Eden; the whiny, SELFISH, stupid, lackluster, weak, love-struck brat of a main character of this book.

She loves her best friend, Lincoln. He is training her for the dangers that will come, loves and protects her whenever it is needed, is as hurt by keeping secrets (for her safety) as she is after finding out.
Emily Blake
*An ARC was provided by Sourcebooks Fire in exchange for an honest review*

I will always compare angel books to Hush, Hush. That's just a fact. And while this book isn't as kick-ass as Hush, Hush, it's still special in it's own way.

I really liked the different angel spin Shirvington put on this story. I think it was a good idea, a good story line, and amazing writing. There were just a few things that weren't very good: Shirvington mentioned towards the end of the book that Violet was terrified
Yazzy
Dec 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book was very very disappointing. Im surprised I even finished it in all honesty! Violet is a slutty bitch! There I said it! Ok she's meant to be madly in love with Lincoin for the first bit of the book, and than she find out he's been keeping a secret that he had no choice but to keep, because she and him are both half-angels destined to be eterneral partners in hunting and killing angels. And what does she do when she finds out the truth about her mothers past?? Understands Lincoin and ...more
Em
This book was something that I consider to be a new spin on the angel/fallen angel sub-genre these days. I will admit that it took me a while to finish this book, but it was an interesting plot and storyline with interesting characters. Here are some things I liked and disliked about this book to justify why I gave it 3.5 stars on Goodreads.

Pros:
-Angels (gotta love them)--but also just focusing on angels and not religion-Refreshing to keep it not so controversial.
-The boys...oh yes. Phoenix is
JeanBookNerd
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Embrace surely promises to be one exciting series. Jessica Shirvington’s debut book is loaded with romance, adventure, and angels with an interesting story that will keep readers on the edge. I was completely mesmerized the moment I read the first page and it was virtually impossible to put down.

From the beginning, we are introduced to a very strong and cunning character, Violet. She sets out on a journey to learn more about herself and her mother, specifically her mysterious past. After
Pixie/PageTurners Blog(Amber) C.
Embrace is all the good stuff mixed into one outstanding YA paranormal romance: It's a fast-paced, action packed otherworldly page turner with a kick butt female protagonist and a heartbreaking love triangle. We were hooked from the start.

Embrace follows Violet along her journey of finding out about herself and her mother's mysterious past. Violet's journey comes to a harsh fork in the road when she discovers she only has two choices, embrace her destiny or turn her back on it. But her choice is
McKenzie  Higgins
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Jenny
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
OMG, I loved, loved, loved this book! The romance between Violet and Lincoln and all their angst was brilliant! I want to read more right now! Can't wait for the next book!

I didn't love the reread as much as I loved it the first time, but it was still fun!

• A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
  • Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers, #1)
  • Sweet Evil (Sweet, #1)
  • Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
  • Forbidden (Forbidden #1)
  • A Temptation of Angels
  • Half-Blood (Covenant, #1)
  • Anew (The Archers of Avalon, #1)
  • Blood-Kissed Sky (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #2)
  • Sweet Peril (Sweet, #2)
  • Wicked Kiss (Nightwatchers, #2)
  • Sweet Reckoning (Sweet, #3)
  • Immortal City (Immortal City, #1)
  • My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1)
  • A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark, #2)
  • Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn #1)
  • Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)
  • The Halo Chronicles: The Guardian
Jessica Shirvington is the author of THE VIOLET EDEN CHAPTERS also known as THE EMBRACE SERIES, stand alone novel, BETWEEN THE LIVES and has an exciting new duology called DISRUPTION on the way in 2014.

An entrepreneur, author, and mother living in Sydney, Australia, Jessica is also a 2011 & 2012 finalist for Cosmopolitan’s annual Fun, Fearless Female Award. She’s also one of the lucky few who

The Violet Eden Chapters (5 books)
  • Enticed (The Violet Eden Chapters, #2)
  • Emblaze (The Violet Eden Chapters, #3)
  • Endless (The Violet Eden Chapters, #4)
  • Empower (The Violet Eden Chapters, #5)
“Did you ever think we would be anything other than unbelievable?” 203 likes
“Kissing you is.. I tried so had for so long to deny myself. I tried to do tho right thing. But ever since we kissed on your birthday I knew once i started I'd never be able.. even through we can't..” 65 likes