Start by marking “Verlaten (Gone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Verlaten (Gone, #1)

Verlaten (Gone #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  158,709 Ratings  ·  9,747 Reviews
Het ene moment stond de leraar nog over de Burgeroorlog te praten. En het volgende moment was hij weg. Leraar aanwezig. Leraar weg. Geen poef. Geen lichtflits. Geen knal. Tijdens een doodgewone schooldag ziet de veertienjarige Sam tot zijn verbijstering zijn leraar pal voor zijn ogen verdwijnen. Zomaar ineens weg! Algauw blijkt dat iedereen die ouder is dan vijftien jaar o ...more
Published 2008 by Unieboek

To ask other readers questions about Verlaten, please sign up.

Kia I LOVE the Gone series. I would read the entire series over and over again, but the first time already brought me through an emotional roller coaster.
Becca I love the Gone series as well as the Maze Runner series! Gone is a little darker though. Gone is amazing though, you should try it!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I read this book out of curiosity, with no preconceived notions. Merely because I was curious what kids would do in a world with no adults. I admit I was blown away.

Mr. Grant told me a story that I couldn't put down. From the beginning, my mind was full of questions about how this happened, how the kids would survive, what could prevent the same thing from happening again....So many questions.

Sam is the kind of boy you want to have around when the world goes crazy. He's definitely the reluctant
Kat Kennedy
I suppose I should provide some kind of explanation as to why I didn't finish reading this book.

It's not because the concept was stupid - actually the concept was quite interesting and would make for a fantastic philosophical discussion.
It's not because it was poorly written - actually it was written quite well with a great plot and interesting world building and action packed scenes.
It's not because the characters were horrible or annoying - Actually, Sam is really likable if not frustrating, A
Emily May
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, 2011
This was a very good book about adventure, mutants, superheroes and just the plain old story of surviving high school... only this time there are no adults to keep a check on things.

This novel tells the story of how one day in a small Californian town everyone 15 and over mysteriously disappears. But that's not all. The town becomes surrounded by a strange spherical barrier, no one gets in or out. And stranger still, the children and teenagers left behind are discovering that some of them have w
Janina
I put this book aside about two weeks ago, saying I would definitely go back and finish it as I only had about 100 pages left. But it doesn’t look like it now. I’m simply not in the mood to pick it up again. And as I’m not planning on spending money on the next instalments of the series, I will probably never read them anyway, so why continue here?

I really don’t know why Gone wasn’t able to intrigue me. It is a clever and absolutely thought-provoking story that definitely got me thinking. How wo
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Ace
Highly enjoyable. Hooks you at the very start. I drive through the traffic everyday: about an hour in the morning and definitely more than an hour at nighttime. So, while reading the first few pages of the book, I said, wow this should happen here in Manila. Imagine all adults to disappear altogether without a trace at one time and all adolescents will follow once they turn fifteen. Obviously, this is okay as long as I and my loved ones are exempted hehe.

This is a YA book and so the characters a
Lara
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, really.
I hereby predict that, sometime in the next year or so, the next big Young Adult obsession will be with the book Gone, by Michael Grant, and with the subsequent books that I hope he writes quickly because I might die if I don't know the what and the why and the how and the...well, EVERYTHING. (This is apparently the first in a series of six books.)

I also predict that it will take off like the Harry Potter and the Twilight Series, with almost as many adults reading the series as kids.

For one thi

April (Aprilius Maximus)
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 2017
Even though Michael Grant may be an asshole, I'm still impressed by his books. Can't wait to keep reading and finally find out how this series ends!
Clair
May 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Gone by Michael Grant has to be one of the most frustrating novels I've read recently. Taking place in a dystopia where all the adults have disappeared, à la Lord of the Flies mixed in with some kids mysteriously getting superpowers sounds really good on paper. Too bad it didn't work when given 560 pieces of paper to work with.

The basic plot of Gone is about anybody above the age of 15 disappearing into thin air. Naturally, this leaves quite a few problems for the surviving children: there are b
Donalyn
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of books, but you knew that didn't you? While I enjoy most of the books I read, few stand out to me as amazing or memorable (this is why I give out so few five star reviews).

Gone is simply the best YA book I have read since Laurie Halse Anderson's Wintergirls, and stands right beside The Hunger Games and the Knife of Never Letting Go as some of the best dystopian sci-fi around...

In Perdido Beach, life is normal (mostly) until a sudden disruption results in the disappearance of ever
Al
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I tried and tried to love this book, but I just couldn't connect with it. The concept was a brilliant one. It was the reason I decided to buy the book in the first place, but once I started reading it, I couldn't establish a connection with any of the characters.

I just felt as if I was an outsider and not able to grasp any of the emotions of the characters. I didn't feel as if I was part of the story. At times, I thought there was too much telling as opposed to showing. There were also many pass
Looking for a similar series 9 40 Dec 28, 2017 03:05PM
What power is most useful? 3 11 Oct 19, 2017 11:19AM
Gone: What would your mutation be? 42 120 Oct 16, 2017 02:18PM
Dystopian Literat...: Dystopian Book I read 1 6 Oct 05, 2017 01:02AM
The FAYZ: The Gon...: If you were in the FAYZ and you had "The Power" what would your power be? 24 71 Aug 22, 2017 11:21AM
  • Black Hole Sun (Hell's Cross, #1)
  • Inside Out (Insider, #1)
  • Crashed (Cold Awakening, #2)
  • Everfound (Skinjacker, #3)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Human.4 (Point 4, #1)
  • The Resistance (The Declaration, #2)
  • Glow (Sky Chasers, #1)
  • Lockdown (Escape from Furnace, #1)
  • Article 5 (Article 5, #1)
  • Awaken (Awaken, #1)
  • Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • The Fear (The Enemy, #3)
  • The Way We Fall (Fallen World, #1)
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
  • Possession (Possession, #1)
Okay, trying this again. Goodreads lost the bio I just spent 30 minutes writing. So now it's just going to be incoherent rambling. Yes, the earlier draft was also incoherent rambling, but way better.

I'm the co-author or author of about 160 books, including the ANIMORPHS series, the GONE series, the BZRK series, the MAGNIFICENT 12 series (Mommy, make him stop saying series!), the MESSENGER OF FEAR
More about Michael Grant...

Gone (9 books)
  • Light (Gone, #6)
  • Monster (Gone, #7)
  • Villain (Gone, #8)
  • Hero (Gone, #9)
“Welcome to Perdido beach, where our motto is: Radiation, what radiation?” 619 likes
“We didn't Make this World we're just the Poor Fools who are living in it.” 435 likes