Start by marking “Black Rose (In the Garden, #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Rose (In the Garden, #2)

Black Rose (In the Garden #2)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  33,063 Ratings  ·  816 Reviews
A Harper has always lived at Harper House, the centuries-old mansion just outside of Memphis. And for as long as anyone alive remembers, the ghostly Harper Bride has walked the halls, singing lullabies at night...

At forty-seven, Rosalind Harper is a woman whose experiences have made her strong enough to bend without breaking--and weather any storm. A widow with three grown
Paperback, First Edition, 303 pages
Published May 31st 2005 by Penguin USA (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Black Rose, please sign up.
Katie Mansfield
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Cyndi
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
The second book in the trilogy. Of course it’s excellent. It’s Nora.
Although Mitch is a great character his story steps back from Roz and the ghost. I think its a delicate balance when so many strong characters are in a story. Roz’s strength seems to take center stage. Enough so that I was a bit intimidated at times. I mean she raised three sons, started a business and jogs every day. When my three kids were growing up I sometimes had trouble finding time to shower. 🤷🏼♀
Phrynne
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I nearly always enjoy this author's trilogies and this is no exception. I like getting to know a group of characters and then focussing on a different couple in each book but with all the familiar people on the peripheries. This book was centred around the developing relationship between Mitch and Roz with a fair bit of ghostly intervention along the way. It actually got a bit too creepy to read at home alone at one point. All very entertaining and highly recommended !
Alba Turunen
4 Estrellas, y muy en consonancia con la anterior novela. Me ha gustado bastante, me ha enganchado desde el principio, porque sí, tiene un estilo cuidado que se lee solo, y porque la historia ha ayudado mucho.

"Rosa negra" empieza unos meses después de acabar "Dalia azul". En éste libro tenemos la historia de Roz, la propietaria del Jardín y de la mansión Harper, una mujer práctica, fuerte, luchadora, y en una única palabra: admirable. Y su pareja protagonista, Mitchell Carnegie. Mitch apareció b
Jacob Proffitt
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
I was interested to see that the romantic couple in this one were both in their late 40s. Are people with adult children allowed to start relationships?

I liked both Roz and Mitch very much and their romance was a fun one to experience. You could see how they came together from a need for companionship but with a stability of having secure family relationships as well. This gave them space to parse their desires and the opportunity to act from a place of strength from already having healthy, esta
Celeste
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Mini review:

This installment was just as sweet and funny and enjoyable as the first. Rob has hired Dr. Mitchell Carnegie to dig into her family’s history, in hopes that he can help them find out more information about the ghost haunting Harper House and lay her to rest. Mitch is a cutie, absentminded and obsessive over his work and completely suited to Roz. The romance was fun and a bit unique for Nora due to it being between two middle-aged people, instead of the late 20s to mid 30s set that sh
Amber
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librarybooks
The Harper Bride Ghost is back and this time she is preying on Rosalind Harper, the owner and proprietor of Harper House and in the Garden Nursery. When Rosalind Harper slowly falls in love with Dr. Mitch Carnegie who is helping her find out the identity of the Harper Bride Ghost, she is attacked violently by the ghost who hates men with a passion. Will the ghost be able to tame this black rose or will Rosalind snap back with thorns? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was a great second inst
Krissy
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Book two of the In the Garden trilogy. In this story we meet Roz & Mitch who fall in love while working over a genealogical project. They're in search of the Harper Bride Ghost who has been haunting Roz's family home for generations.

I was slightly surprised to see Roz take the lead heroine for book two. With Nora's trilogies you get a certain formula to them. The first heroine (in this trilogy Stella) goes through some sort of transformation and finds herself. The second heroine holds a toug
Sombra
La serie sigue viento en popa a toda vela...

Roz y Mitchell por separado son muy buenos personajes pero juntos, son adorables.
Desde el primer momento me atrajo la pareja que iban a formar, ya que parecían dos polos totalmente opuestos y además con más edad de la que estoy acostumbrada a leer en cualquier tipo de género, ya que ambos tienen más de 40 años.
Y la verdad, no me ha decepcionado, al contrario, me han parecido una gran pareja que ha sabido aprovechar muy bien esa segunda oportunidad que
Christine (KizzieReads)
This was not a favourite, but still a good read with a few spots that put a big grin on my face and made laugh. There were also bits where I was enraged and ticked off with all the things that Rob goes through. Nice to also know more about the history of the house she lives in and the resident ghost. Can't wait to have all my questions answered in the next, and final book of this trilogy.
Lark of The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Another one where I'm debating between 3.5 and 4 stars, but think I'll come down on the side of 4. For one thing, the heroine is 46 or 47, and how often do you see a romance heroine of that age? Huzzah for middle-aged representation! Review to come.
 Mary
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts

En la Mansión Harper siempre ha vivido un Harper... ese es el lugar de Rosalind Harper. Roz es una mujer de 47 años, viuda, divorciada, madre de tres hijos y dueña de un vivero. Junto son Stella y Hayley trabajan y viven en la Mansión. Es una mujer orgullosa de sus logros, de sus hijos y sus amigas que son una extensión de su familia. Su vida es muy rica, ha pasado por muchas cosas, un hermoso primer matrimonio con un hombre maravilloso y e padre de sus hijos y por un segundo matrimonio con un e
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Another book I enjoyed. I love gardening so these books are cute from that point of view. I'm still not sure how much I like the character of Roz. I like that she's a strong woman but somehow she just seems to rub me the wrong way.
Tammy Walton Grant
2.5 stars - is it just me, or are all of Nora Robert's stories starting to sound the same?
Kara Jorges
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
The second installment of the In the Garden trilogy is easily the best of the bunch. This book picks up where “Blue Dahlia” left off, in terms of the mystery of the Harper Bride, a ghost who haunts historic Harper House near Memphis Tennessee, and the personal lives of the living characters, as well. In “Blue Dahlia,” Roz Harper, fortysomething mistress of Harper House, hired Mitch Carnegie to do some family research in order to find the identity of the Harper Bride. Mitch and Roz were attracted ...more
valee
Ok, I don't know what to say about this. I really enjoyed the first installment in the series, but this... not that much. And it would really be a star 1/2, not even 2.

I was bored the whole time, even wishing for it to end. I must admit that it has been the worst romance book I had ever read. I didn't like a thing about it.

First, Robert's writing style in this book is horrible. You never get to really understand how the characters feel because she uses a very impersonal way for describing the ev
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
I was going to give this a 4 or 4.5 but thought how much I liked reading this and thought, eh 5 stars will do just fine.

Anyway, I'm liking these new covers for this trilogy. Its just so beautiful and cozy and garden like, which makes sense.

I like how with each book, you get the know the characters as the book focuses on them, with the Harper bride ghost and of course the romance.

I don't read that much romance books. Except maybe now and then. This is one of those that I like to read when I'm eit
Cindy
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: swapped
This series just isn't coming alive for me like most NR works. I know they are formulaic, but that's not my problem here. I'm really just not finding the characters interesting. There are sparks of interest, but nothing lasting.
Jenny Ilgunas
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Part 2, didn't feel as engaged with this part, although Roz is my age. Good to see other aspects from part 1 be built on.
Tammie Tackett
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was awesome and i loved the romance in it and the mystery also i gave this book a 5 stars i liked everything about this book
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 4.5 stars
Aurelia Rowl
I want to be just like Ros ;-)
Michaela
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Der zweite Teil der Garten-Eden-Trilogie von Nora Roberts hat mir noch besser gefallen, als der erste Teil. Ich mochte Mitch mit seiner leicht verpeilten Art schon im Vorgänger und hier genauso. Das machte ihn einfach liebenswürdig und man konnte auch das eine oder andere Mal lachen. Auch mit Roz hat Nora Roberts einen starken Charakter geschaffen. Sie gibt nie auf und ist immer für andere da. Solche Freunde wünscht man sich.
Auch der Hausgeist der Harper Familie hat hier den einen oder anderen A
Tracy
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Over one hundred years ago, a young woman on the brink of insanity...or just beyond it...disappeared without a trace. Her ghost haunts the house and grounds of the Harper household and has for as long as anyone alive can remember. Most who have seen or heard her speak of the care she shows to the children of the house, singing lullabies to the young and offering a comforting presence to young mothers. But there is a darkness, too, and when lullabies become edged in madness and comfort turns to t ...more
Maria Belen Paz Mena
Este libro me ha generado sensaciones encontradas. La parte de la historia de Amelia es lo mas interesante, ya que vamos descubriendo qué fue lo que le pasó, aunque desde entrada tenemos un estimativo, creo que los personajes lo descubren con mucha cuota de azar, porque me parece que no cuentan con los elementos suficientes para descubrirlo.-
Respecto a Roz y Mitch, tienen sus buenos momentos, pero toda la historia de Amelia se come su historia en particular. La ensombrese bastante, aunque su gra
Maria
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is refreshing to see a heroine who is almost fifty. Roz's enjoyment of Mitch, the absent-minded professor, starts off as a mutal attraction that she thinks is only that, but both, with their children all grown-up, are thrown off-course by the depth of their liking for each other when both feel they are past that point in their lives. The parts with the ghost are a little overwhelming, but the rest of the book is both fun and painful, complete with an -ex showing up to make trouble and that na ...more
♡Elizabeth
Mar 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No pude con este libro, me pareció de lo mas lento por lo que lo dejé, me aburrió.
Dannie
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Slightly better than the first one "Blue Dahlia". It was ok.
Renee
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book and series!
muel0235
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beach read. Gardening, sex, love and ghosts...what's not to love. (This star rating direct result of proximity to ocean and champagne whilst reading)
Annasthasya
4 stars because, seriously, the story/mystery part goes way too slow. Though in this book it felt twice as fast than in the first.

That said... A GREAT BIG YES for Roz and Mitch! I love that they're about 50 and still written as having a life and hobbies and stuff to do and romance, and not just here to handle the kids and babysit.
Mitch's research in genealogy and (view spoiler)
Goodreads Librari...: Page number request 2 12 Apr 13, 2018 02:47PM