Start by marking “Her Master and Commander (Just Ask Reeves, #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Master and Commander (Just Ask Reeves, #1)

Her Master and Commander

(Just Ask Reeves #1)

Just ask Reeves!

Dying without legitimate issue, the late Earl of Rochester sent his butler extraordinaire, Reeves, to find his wild, illegitimate children and "civilize" them. Reeves must seek out the first of the earl's arrogant sons, Captain Tristan Llevanth, a one-time pirate, and teach him to be a gentleman.

A will of steel...

Tristan Llevanth gave up his free-wheeling l
Published February 28th 2006 by Avon (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Her Master and Commander, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Master and Commander

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~*
Julia DeBarrioz
Apr 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: pirates
Maybe my expectations were simply too high, so I'll just say you get exactly what the cover promises. Ridiculousness.

If you know anything about the Royal Navy OR pirates, the premise of this book will drive you crazy. There are countless little off details that made me twitch in pain. Not to mention I think the appearances of the hero and the brother were switched since the first draft of this book, it gets a little muddy in places.

That said, I did enjoy Reeves, and the banter between Prudence
Katherine 黄爱芬
Tristan dan saudara kembarnya, Christian terpisah karena ibunya dipenjara atas tuduhan makar, dan sang ayah, Earl of Rochester mengabaikan mereka. Hingga saat ketika sang Earl menjelang ajal tanpa memiliki anak sah, dia teringat anak kembar haramnya. Sang Earl menginginkan anak-anaknya mewarisi gelar dan uangnya, tetapi dia tahu salah satu anaknya sudah menjadi bajak laut.

Tristan digambarkan sbg mantan bajak laut, pahlawan veteran perang Trafalgar bersama Laksamana Nelson. Tristan memiliki cinde
Shaz
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
enjoyable read
Lover of Romance
Tristan Llevanth loved the sea and being aboard his ship, but when he is injured fighting side by side with Admiral Nelson, he has to give up what he loves, and his men come with him. Tristan settles in a house in the countryside that overlooks the ocean. And despite the peace he desires, he never manages to hold onto it. A neighbor widow, Prudence Thistlewaite, is definitely the bane of his existence and they tend to get on each other's nerves. Then Reeves (his late father's butler) tells him t ...more
jenjn79
Head in the clouds
Where have you been all my life Karen Hawkins?

This book came a such a surprise - it was filled to the brim with whimsical, slapstick humour - and although I appreciate more subtle approaches to humour - this book cracked me up. I swear the story of Daisy the sheep almost overshadowed the main romance.

There was never any doubt that Tristan was a cuddly bear. Even in the prologue you can tell that Tristan is going to be the gentle giant while Christian (his twin) is the brooding rake. His relation
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the Just Ask Reeves series by Karen Hawkins. If you are looking for something light and amusing this might be it. It was a pleasant read but nothing really special for me. Tristan, the hero, is a hero and ex-pirate. Injured and unable to return to the sea, he is living in a small cottage by the sea with a houseful of other injured sailors/ex-pirates. Lady Prudence has come to the remote area in hopes of opening a school. Unfortunately, the pirate's sheep keeps getting into her ...more
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-reads, romance
A promising beginning dives off a cliff into an ocean of obvious after about the first three chapters, leaving the reader to follow along bemusedly ticking off cliches on her fingers and toes. And it's wrong, wrong, wrong when the sexiest man in the novel is the impeccable, inscrutable butler and not the swashbuckling pirate.
Iza Soares
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating 6 of 7

I love a good bastard that it's not a bastard anymore lol
I thought this one was pretty cute all the way they start to care about each other and oh my oh my the sheep plot oh my god I loved it!

I'm as mad as Christian about their mother being accused of treason so I do hope we'll see the blamed for it dead in the next book
Sandra Walker
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, didn't end like I thought it would, but I liked it. I thought sure he would have it all.
Elisa Vangelisti
Aug 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abbandonato
non l'ho terminato, incipt troppo prolisso e poco interessante.
Tina
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I love author Karen Hawkins. Her books are almost always a fresh glimpse into days past, light and funny romances with a smattering of history that make me wish I was wearing a ball gown and dancing with an earl. This book, however, was something of a disappointment.

Tristan Levanthe is the typical reclusive, rough-and-tumble personality you might find living alone on the cliffs of the sea. He is of course dashingly handsome, and reveals himself to have a soft heart as well by caring for all the
Bronwyn Rykiert
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Tristan Llevanth’s life changed when he was 10 years old, his mother was taken to prison on a false charge of treason, he was separated from his twin brother Christian and he was impressed for a life at sea.

The Duke of Rochester has not been able to father legitimate children and now that he is dying he needs to find his illegitimate twin sons so that he has someone to inherit his title. He concocts a plan to legitimise them and sets his butler extraordinaire, Reeves, the task of finding them an
Dawn
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hawkins-karen
This was a fun read. The hero, Tristan, is a grounded pirate who inadvertently became a war hero during the Battle of Trafalgar. Wounded during that battle, he can no longer sail the high seas so now lives in a rather grand secluded estate taking care of his fellow crewmen who have also been grounded due to various injuries, or, in some cases, just dedication to him.

His neighbor, a widow named Prudence, comes into his life because his sheep keep eating her garden and she is not happy about it. O
Jujubee
I am a fan of KH, but this one just ran a little to slow and a little to *ehh* for me.
Not a bad read at all, really. Reeves was most intriguing.
I think I just didn't get the heroine's over all character portrayal for me to connect with her.
One minute she's hot and fowl mouthed (if only to herself, which was entertaining), next minute she's so prim that she's an autotron. If KH had meant to make her vulnerable yet strong, to me, she came across as a bit of a whiny self-centered child woman. But
Gail
I liked this one quite a bit. The hero used to be a pirate, but he's not one any more. I'm not sure how I feel about romances that take place almost exclusively on ships. However, this one does not. The hero has retired because of an injury, and has taken in a bunch of his old shipmates who've also been injured. He has sheep to give the sailors something to keep them busy. One of the sheep keeps getting into the heroine's garden, and she keeps having to come over and give him what for. Then Reev ...more
Stefanie
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved Tristan and Prudence!
Tristan loves the see, he loves his freedom. So when he's confined to a life on the shore, he hasn't anything left to live for. Until his crew comes to his cottage, one by one. He's is such a wonderful man. Even though he doesn't have many resources himself, he welcomes everybody in his crew and tries to take care of them as good as he can. And the way he reacted when Prudence came to tell him about the problem with the sheep... I couldn't stop laughing.
Prudence is a
Gmc
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Her Master and Commander - Just Ask Reeves, Bk 1 by Karen Hawkins

Caaptain Tristan Llevanth once a pirate and commander of Admiral Nelson's flag ship during the battle of Trafalgar. Tristan is badly wounded but will never have the balance needed to go back to sea. He takes a cottage on a lonely cliff where he can watch the sea, and sometime his new neighbor. To further complicate Tristan's life Reeves the late Earl of Rochester's butler has come to tell him he has been legitimized and is now "Ear
Delacey
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This book was amusing at times, yet slow and boring at others. I have no issue with a pure romance with no side plot/outside tension, however, this book is a little long without those extra dimensions. The ending also felt a little rushed and unfulfilled (am I the only one wondering about the maintenance, and running of the Earls estate that is entailed to T and will produce an income, oh and are the ladies really going to be able to run their school?)
Jessica Grogan
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Layne
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reeves is hard to beat

As is Tristan, Prudence and Christian. This author never disappoints me. I always fall into her stories and end up sighing and wishing I was the heroine. This book was no different and I cannot wait to start Christian's story which I'm going to do right now!
Readerkuna1
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 19th-century
I just finished this book. I loved it. I will read the other one in the series. I love Karen Hawkins books. I love how Tristan and Prudence sparred with each other until they both realize that they love each other. Neither one thought that they would find love but it happened and they belong together.
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
One of the first books I read on my Nook, I don't know if it was the download but one spot in the book has the lead characters brothers name instead of his own. I was a little disappointed in this book, I think the location could have been a character as well as the house but it wasn't explored, the main characters were good.
Petula
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fun historical romance, with a little sex but a lot of laughs.
For Tristan to claim the money that goes with his new title he must pass the scrutiny of a board of trustees. Prudence is persuaded to teach Tristan how to behave in polite society. Reeves the Butler is making sure everyone does as they should. A very enjoyable read.
Joan
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was another very well written story. I really like a strong female character that is willing to stand up for herself and others when need be. Karen Hawkins doesn't do whinnie woman thank goodness. This was a fast paced story about the captain and the wronged neighbor with a very funny butler thrown in. The secondary characters were very entertaining.
Mindy
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun and romantic. Hawkins has the most wonderful characters. I must say that I would love to have a butler like Reeves. He is so much more than a butler. More than once I was on pins and needles.
Kendra
A duology, Bk. 1, Tristan and Prudence. Funny and sweet, and the parts with the sheep are hysterical.
Maggie Shanley
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Okay story of an illegitamate Pirate/ Captain, his highway man brother and the women hired to tame the Earl.
Melissa Jaccard
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I fell instantly in love with Tristan and loved the tension between Prudence and himself. Karen didn't disappoint and I can't wait to read his brother's story.
  • The Devil Wears Tartan
  • The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet, #2)
  • Lady Whistledown Strikes Back (Lady Whistledown, #2)
  • What a Pirate Desires
  • Kiss Me Quick (Kiss Me, #1)
  • His Secret Duchess
  • Beloved Embrace
  • A Stranger's Wife
  • For the Love of a Pirate
  • Love With a Scandalous Lord (Daughters of Fortune, #3)
  • The Pirate Lord (Lord Trilogy, #1)
  • Legendary Warrior (Warrior, #1)
  • In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3)
  • Beauty and the Duke (Mystical Bliss, #1)
  • Never Marry a Stranger (Sons of Scandal, #3)
  • Tempting a Proper Lady (Brides of Nevarton Chase, #1)
  • The Prince Kidnaps a Bride (Lost Princesses, #3)
  • What an Earl Wants
New York Times and USA Today best-selling author Karen Hawkins is known for her wonderfully humorous and emotion-tugging historical and contemporary romances. The author of over 30 novels, Karen writes for a living between shopping for shoes, playing around on Facebook and Pinterest, looking for fun items for Hawkins Manor, and napping, although usually not at the same time. Sometimes, for fun, sh ...more

Just Ask Reeves (2 books)
  • Her Officer and Gentleman (Just Ask Reeves, #2)
“Mother always said he was like a lake, calm on the surface though a powerful current rumbled beneath. Tristan, meanwhile, was the ocean—his feelings frothed and foamed on the surface, crashing like waves into every situation.” 3 likes
“As I reach my thirtieth year of service as a butler in a gentleman’s household, I find myself looking back. Between my secret recipe for boot blacking (an indispensable tool for a butler), and a vastly superior method to remove wine stains from velvet (which some will erroneously hold to be an impossibility), I find my memories salted with some faint wisdoms, a few tested experiences, and many, many interesting stories.” 2 likes