Start by marking “Possession in Death (In Death, #31.5)” as Want to Read:
Possession in Death (In Death, #31.5)

Possession in Death

(In Death #31.5)

“The devil killed my body. I cannot fight, I cannot find. I cannot free her. You must. You are the one. We speak to the dead.”

Immediately after hearing these words, uttered to her by an old Romanian woman bleeding to death in the street, detective Eve Dallas begins to notice that her latest case has come with a number of interesting side-effects: visions of the deceased,
Audio CD, Unabridged, 3 pages
Published November 30th 2010 by Brilliance Audio

Start your review of Possession in Death (In Death, #31.5)
Phrynne
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2019
This novella starts immediately where the previous book finished and we are treated to several pages set at the cookout Eve had planned for Morris in that last story. All of the gang are there right down to its smallest member, Bella. All good fun and for just a little while no murders to sully things,

Of course murder is Eve's business and pretty soon she comes across the first dead (or is she?) body. Robb often entertains herself in her novellas by indulging in the supernatural and in
Shawna
4 stars - Futuristic/Paranormal/Romantic Suspense/Mystery/Crime/Science Fiction/Thriller Novella

This was a great read for Friday the 13th! I love this series!

You’re Eve Dallas. You’re the love of my life. My heart and soul. You’re a cop, mind and bone. You’re a woman of strength and resilience. Stubborn, hardheaded, occasionally mean as a badger, and more generous than you’ll admit.
Aly
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

For Eve Dallas, a BBQ with friends and family is another way to chill between two investigations. But when you're an homicide investigator, unfortunately, it's not too long before you get another call. This time, Eve come upon her next case on the street, when an injured old woman speak gibberish before collapsing and bleeding to death. But after her encounter with the Gypsy, Eve begin to experience unusual weird things.

I'm not sure how to rate this novella. Because it was entertaining but
♥Sharon♥
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Even the .5's are fabulous. Another great addition to this awesome series!!
Venus Blancia
This is one of the In Death’s Shorts. One thing I love reading Robb’s shorts is for she’s making this a lil bit of extra fictional by adding a bits of paranormal. In here, Eve was being possessed by a dead Romany woman. Imagine yourself enjoying or grinning about Eve talking to a ghost and Roarke tolerated it. Eve suddenly was able to speak Russian and other 5 languages and Roarke was just fascinated by it and checking from time to time for Eve to speak Russian.
Roarke is still a magic with his
Lauren
Possession in Death
3.5 Stars

A seemingly random encounter with a dying woman leaves Eve very unsettled when she begins to notice some new and quirky personality traits such as having visions and speaking Russian. Regardless, she is determined to keep her promise to the old lady and sets out to discover the whereabouts of her missing granddaughter. What she finds is enough to put terror into any young woman's heart.

Although good paranormal mysteries are often entertaining and the previous In
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
March 2019 - Rereading for group buddy read!

Another great novella in this series! Loved it!
Ann Lou
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very very different from the other full length novels but I love it all the same. :)
Somia
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little novella was a nice entertaining read today as I curled up trying to get rid of the bug I have. However, the elements of the supernatural in this little read and how they were depicted, and Eve’s responses to them just didn’t completely gel/fit. I think it may have been better for (view spoiler) ...more
İlkim
I love paranormal novellas a lot in this series. This one was about possesion like the title. Eve is possesed by a Romanian gipsy and tries to find her grand-daughter. Creepy and beautiful story.
Anastasia
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Possession in Death by J. D. Robb is a short novella in the In Death series immediately following on from Indulgence in Death. Eve is finishing off the last case and celebrates with a get together and barbecue as promised. Driving one of her guests home, she sees a woman fall off the sidewalk having been stabbed repeatedly and while waiting for help to arrive becomes possessed by the woman's spirit and urged to find her granddaughter who has been missing. Another wonderful book with a few added ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read November 2013

2nd read December 2016
This is a strange one
Joanne
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-d-robb
I wish it had been longer.
Kathy Davie
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story falls in at 31.5 in the In Death romantic suspense series revolving around Lieutenant Eve Dallas, an NYPSD Homicide cop, and her gorgeous husband, Roarke.

My Take
I so appreciated the satisfying ending to the arrests in Indulgence in Death , 31. At least those jerks will get to spend a long time without their indulgent lifestyles. It's not enough though for Eve, and I doubt it would ever be enough for anyone who loses a loved one.

The In Death series is a terrifying blend of the
Amy
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Here's my main problem with this book. The "In Death" world, as I see it, anyway, even though we are looking slightly into the future, it was not set up as a "paranormal" world. It was more a "true crime" series. Although, because of the future element, there is a certain amount of "fantasy" to this series, because certain elements in that future world have to be invented, it's still a world based in reality. Eve, similarly, is rooted in reality and, due to the kind of job that she does, is ...more
Cindy
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
This is the first of the novellas that I really enjoyed.
Connie N.
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
#31.5 in the In Death series

This is a quick novella that only took a few hours to listen to. Of course, the narration of Susan Ericksen added greatly to the enjoyment. Interesting that the novellas seem to contain a lot more "woo-woo" (as Eve describes it) than the regular books in the series. We begin with the anticipated barbeque that Eve has instigated to help her friend Morris through his grief. When she drives Father Lopez home, they come across a dying woman who seems to become a part of
Travis
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun novella. Has a couple of great one liners from Eve and Roarke, and I liked how it picked up almost immediately where the previous book (Indulgence in Death) left off.
Thenia
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking up right where the story left off, the first part of this novella could be the epilogue of the previous book.

Eve has just wrapped up her latest case and is having the barbeque she arranged with her closest friends, before she stumbles upon a very strange scene that leads to a case with paranormal elements.

Interesting story that strethes Eve's limits, gives her a few answers about things she's been wondering about and brings her even closer to her amazing husband.

Their adventures continue
Lyndi W.
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
Well, I got my BBQ scene and Father Lopez got appropriate page-time! YAY!

I really liked this one for a few reasons. The gypsies, ballerinas, possession, paranormal activity... It was a lot of fun. Throwing logic-driven Eve into any sort of supernatural business guarantees amusing results.

Wish it were a bit longer, maybe with a little more of that dead speaker business. Maybe the fact that I want more of the paranormal stuff is an indication that I should back away from this series and gorge on
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lieutenant Eve Dallas just wrapped up headline grabbing case just looking to forward to a quiet day with family and friends. As Eve drives Priest Chale Lopez home she gets an unexpected case involving a Gypsy. The unexpected happened Eve seems to be possessed by her vic which leads to startling revelations. Can Eve catch a killer? Will Eve make good on her promise? Your answers await you in Possession in Death.

I read this as part of an anthology. I needed my Roarke fix along with Eve. Definitely
Katie Reus
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-listen
This is one of my favorite In Death novellas. I think it's also probably the most supernatural/paranormal out of all of her books as well and it worked perfectly. Note: at the end of the last book, Indulgence in Death, I wanted to know just a little bit more about that case and Possession in Death picked up right where it left off (the next day). I feel like this novella gave me that 'perfect ending' feeling for Indulgence.
Magpie67
Enter a bit of woo,woo..., gypsies, the stuff Eve doesn't like... and you have a comical irony on Eve believing in the paranormal. Possessed by an older lady to help find her granddaughter, Eve discovers she has the ability to speak Russian and Hungarian and make goulash plus speak to the dead. When she finds the underground room with a red door, I think Eve gives the old lady some credit, but Eve manages to use her cop wit to solve the rest. I loved that it started with a party and a whole crew ...more
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Possession In Death is a novella available either as an individual ebook, or, as a bind up in print or ebook, that also includes the novella Chaos in Death. I read it as part of the bind up but I'm reviewing both stories separately as I'm reading the whole In Death series in order and these stories don't follow each other chronologically.

This story picks up immediately after the end of Indulgence in Death, we even get to see Eve hosting the barbecue she was arranging to cheer up Morris, but the
~*~Happy Hour Prez~*~
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing

4.5 STARS

I really enjoyed this little novella.

SPOILER ALERT. IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY READ THIS NOVELLA, STOP READING NOW, AS THE FOLLOWING WON'T MAKE SENSE AND MIGHT RUIN YOUR EXPERIENCE WHEN YOU READ IT.

OK, NOW THAT WE KNOW THAT YOU'VE READ THE BOOK...
The only thing I would have wanted to change was at the end where Beata and Eve talk. I wish Beata would have had the chance to have ONE LAST CHAT with her great-grandmother before she "left".

That's the only thing I would really change.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
The care of the "Missing Dancers". Eve and Roarke are given a barbecue for Morris and everyone is there. When she take Father Lopez home, they see a reading woman. As the woman die , she as Eve to find her granddaughter but the woman was die for hours. Can Eve keep her promise?
Zoe Keller
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved that we got to see the BBQ and how scared Eve was to lose herself when she was possessed. I loved how protective Roarke was and how they worked together to make sure she stayed herself. Love these two forever
Kat, aka
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Good, but I'm not really into paranormal fiction anymore. So it gets 3.5 from me. Sorry!
Misty
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the book I never thought I'd read in the In Death series.
And it was hilarious to see practical Eve deal with the supernatural!
Richard
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Should be 10 stars. This reader is wonderful. The story, of course, has bad language and explicit sex. This is a very compelling tale.

• The Other Side of the Coin
  • Her Greatest Treasure
  • Gregory (Hathaway House #7)
  • Festive in Death: by JD Robb | Summary & Analysis
  • Under Currents
  • Sirens in Bliss (Texas Sirens, #7.5; Nights in Bliss, Colorado, #10)
  • Beauty (A Faery Story, #3)
  • Christmas With The Soldier Dragon (Shifter Nation: Special Ops Shifters, #4)
  • The Dragon Play (Stonefire Dragons Shorts Book 3)
  • Daughter of the Dragon: True Mates Generations Book 6
  • Captured By The Soldier Wolf (Shifter Nation: Special Ops Shifters)
  • Fake Mate For The Soldier Lion (Shifter Nation: Special Ops Shifters)
  • Paradise Awakening (Passion in Paradise, #1)
  • Daddy Soldier Bear (Shifter Nation: Special Ops Shifters, #1)
  • The Robin & The Kestrel (Bardic Voices, #2)
  • Sanctuary
  • Hot Rocks
  • High Priestess (Gideon's Riders #3.1)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“You are who you are. I know you. You believe that?
"Yea but--"
"You're Eve Dallas. You're the love of my life. My heart and Soul. You're a cop, mind and bone. You're a woman of strength and resilience. Stubborn, hardheaded, occassionally mean as a badger, and more generous that you'll admit.”
46 likes