Start by marking “The Adventurous Four” as Want to Read:
The Adventurous Four

The Adventurous Four (The Adventurous Four #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  644 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
When a trip at Little Island for the weekend ends in them being shipwrecked, it is at first exciting for the Adventurous Four. But imagine their surprise when they discover the hidden harbour is full of enemy submarines! They investigate more closely so as to get back to the mainland and expose this terrible enemy. But a forgotten camera leads to their capture. How can the ...more
Paperback
Published December 31st 1989 (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventurous Four, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventurous Four

David Sarkies
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older Children
Enid Blyton's Only World War II Novel
(21 August 2013)

This is an interesting story of Blyton's because is was written during the opening stages of World War II, set during World War II and involved the antagonists of World War II. Actually, I believe that it is the only book of Enid Blyton's that actually makes reference to the war. It is interesting how Blyton portrayed the Germans, that is as 'the enemy' and the 'crooked cross' but she never actually mentions them by name. Maybe it is because,
Janet Camilleri
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loved reading this childhood favourite through adult eyes. Didn't realise it was set in WW2 before!
Ana
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gostei, mais uma história digna de Enid Blyton
Natalie
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, adventure
A genuinely wholesome and enjoyable novel by Enid Blyton set during WWII.

I really loved reading this novel, and especially loved that unlike some of Enid Blyton's other novels there was no recognisable mention of "acceptable" gender roles, and nor were people judged for their looks. I was also quite interested to see that the "enemy" was never mentioned by name, they were only known by a "crooked cross" and as the "enemy", leaving it to the reader to put a face to the nameless enemy based on th
Jacqueline
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My first and favourite Enid Blyton book. I also read the entire Secret Seven series and the Famous Five series but I'm too lazy to post them all. Oh, I liked the Secret Seven better than the Famous Five...I read them in that order too...
Zaara
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fifteen years later...this one is still good!
Re-read with my little cousin.
Eva
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wowww..woww.. buku inilah yang saya cari-cari. saya pernah membaca buku ini tapi kemudian berpikir buku yg saya baca itu enid blyton seri petualangan. but no..no.. this is the right one.. Saya harap bisa mendapatkan buku ke 2, Gua Rahasia, dalam waktu dekat ini. Setting waktu untuk seri Empat Petualang ini berkisar tahun 1944-45, saat PD II.
Saya tidak memikirkan PD nya tapi saya menyimpulkan seperti apa orang Inggris itu. Jadi sungguh aneh, saat saya membaca Asterix di Inggris, semua tentang "t
Tim Gray
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's not complictaed, or especially clever - but it has a lovely air of innocence, and is just a fun read that took me back to my childhood.
An Odd1
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Shipwrecked! (The Adventurous Four, #1) by Enid Blyton has sequels Stranded! and Trapped!, but suffers from re-titling over the century. 8+ age conversations have realistic long run-on sentences with clever words: astonishment, fuel, crocodiles, piers, jetties. Black and white brisk-lined quick-moving sketches bring the wind, waves, cliffs, and struggling sailors to life. I fell in love with Blyton's magical "Three Children and It"; this too is a fun, fast-paced appealing escapade.

Andy 14 "dar
Chas Bayfield
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my favourite book as a child. It made me want to go to Scotland. Interestingly, it's the only one of Blyton's books that mentions the war. Aside from the trite title and the disappointing fact that the islands in the book don't exist in reality, this is a fantastic adventure story. Plot twists abound and the imagination of EB is astounding. My only gripe is that there are too many food references - a 12 year old boy being constantly hungry is the sole strain of humour - and the none of ...more
Chandni
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Jade La Grange
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
It was a quirky little read that truly brings out the child within and as a person whose childhood consisted of reading the entire Famous Five series, this book was a lovely throwback. It's also interesting to read a book that was set during World War Two so from a historical point of view, it was fascinating as well. But nonetheless, I enjoyed this children's book and Enid Blyton is always a pleasure to read even at the age of 19.
Ashleigh Son
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
I love this book! As a kid, I read it several times. How I wished that I could be camping on an island with Andy, Tom, Jill and Mary, and faced with adventure. Enid Blyton has a way of making each world of hers that you step into seem like a reality. As an adult, I can see flaws in her writing (such as making adult characters a little bit too gullible), but as a kid, no author in the world could inspire such imagination, and nor could I get my nose out of her books.
Gabriel
This is yet again a case of a book I read too long ago to remember, but it was part of my quest to find more Enid Blyton books. While not as immediately relatable as The Five's books, it was a very entertaining read nonetheless.

My version is a Spanish translation by Editorial Molino.
james Dean
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that got me into reading, i read it over and over again definatly recommended to anyone any age.
Liz Yardley
Jul 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I think this is the book "Shipwrecked" in its original guise. Great EB prose. It's a shame the female roles are strong, but I daresay EB made up for this with her schoolgirl series.
Kirsty (overflowing library)
Enjoyed this
Corina
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a really compelling book, it leaves the readers imagination wanting to engage in more, worth reading.
Eri
Jan 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Adventurous Four...adopted in Bahasa Indonesia as Empat Sekawan, idem dito with Famous Five and The Secret Seven, served as part of my favourite novels more than a quarter century ago;)
Obalola Ibrahim
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
"She feels a good boat, bonny and brave!" said Andy's father.
"The Andy is like her master then!" cried Tom. "For he's just the same..."
Georgie
A fun read. As with Blyton's Famous Five series, it has its faults, but this one seems notably less sexist/racist than the FF books.
Angela Dwi Pangestika
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like the last chapters... quite tense
Alicia Watson
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Two words... Love it!
Parsa Mallik
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it was very good
Tara Calaby
These weren't my favourite adventure stories from Enid Blyton, but they're still good fun.
Jessica North
Aug 23, 2013
Harini Srinivasan
Sep 12, 2011
  • The Wind in the Willows
  • Lima Sekawan: Menaklukkan Agen Rahasia (2)
  • The Baboons Who Went This Way and That
  • Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Deadly Double (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #28)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • As Ever, Booky (Booky, #3)
  • Goodbye Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #12)
  • The Prime Minister's Brain (Demon Headmaster, #2)
  • Lies My Teacher Told Me About Christopher Columbus: What Your History Books Got Wrong
  • Nya hyss av Emil i Lönneberga (Emil i Lönneberga, #2)
  • Jeff Corwin: A Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • Best Detective Stories of Agatha Christie
  • The Sea Fairies
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
  • The Dolphins of Laurentum (The Roman Mysteries, #5)
  • North from Rome
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192
More about Enid Blyton...

The Adventurous Four (3 books)
  • The Adventurous Four Again!
  • Trapped! (The Adventurous Four)