Start by marking “Summer Term at St Clare's” as Want to Read:
Summer Term at St Clare's

Summer Term at St Clare's

(St. Clare's #3)

'I hate sneaks Worse than Anything. If you dare tell tales again, I'll make you Very SORRY.' Carlotta has a secret past! What will happen when sneaky Prudence tells the rest of the class?
Published 2005 by Egmont Books Ltd (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Term at St Clare's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Term at St Clare's

Ahmad Sharabiani
Summer Term at St. Clare's (St. Clare's, #3), Enid Blyton
Summer Term at St. Clare's is third novel in the St. Clare's series of girls' school stories by British author Enid Blyton. The series is about the boarding school adventures of twin girls Patricia and Isabel O'Sullivan. The children's story starts with the twins Pat and Isabel O'Sullivan looking forward to enjoying their first summer term at St. Clare's. Their mother is happy to see them looking forward to school. One day, they go to play
Bill Kupersmith
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A refreshing return to the font for school-story enthusiasts. The Twins are delightfully keen - except of course in French. The headmistress Miss Theobald a model of good sense and firmness tempered with compassion.
Sally
Introducing don't-care-Bobby and Carlotta! And Sadie, for Alison to fawn over. I didn't own this one growing up, only bought it fairly recently to complete my collection. I'm not sure if I never bought it because it wasn't a favourite, or it wasn't a favourite because I didn't have it to read over and over! The whole kidnapping subplot just never did it for me though. I prefer boarding school adventures when they're actually inside the school. ;)
G. Lawrence
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Favourite in the series so far
Bianca Moreira
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WARNING, THIS REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS
Absolutely amazing cast of characters, they were all full of life and experiences, at times it seemed like they would jump off the page and come to life. We didn't follow the twins much, however we did follow their friends. The way this book ended in such a positive note, certainly made me want to read the next book as fast as possible.
The story would've been better for me, if it didn't have tremendous amounts of stereotypes, for example, Penelope and P
Lizzie
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5, on my special Enid Blyton scale ;)
The bullying and the racial stereotypes in this book are hard to stomach, very similarly to Third Year at Malory Towers, but what else can you expect in an Enid Blyton school story, really? For the most part I'm able to set those aspects aside given these are a nostalgic reread from my childhood, and I can say that this does at least have a more tightly told arc than book 1 in the series (which I gave 3 stars) and a couple of fun new characters...
Nina
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book series is very sweet and has lovely little moral values spun within each adventure of the twins. Character development is the main focus of each story as the twins meet new classmates and teachers upon each return to their school. Life experiences teach valuable lessons.
My favorite character is Carlotta, the little circus girl who loves who she is through and through and remains unique throughout every school year.
Kelly
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't wait until next week to continue (again) my rereads of this series so just did it today! :) This one is my favourite of when the twins and co are in the first form and one of my favourites in the whole series. It introduces some long-standing favourite characters of mine- Bobby (Roberta) and Carlotta. :)
Minseo Kang
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I feel like this is, by far, the best book in the series. That may be because it has the most dramatic plot and characters and I have a bit of an addiction to drama.... But I loved it anyway!
Megan
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
i honestly wish boarding school books were more common than they are today
Williesun
I didn't enjoy this instalment from the St. Clare's series as much. First of all, there wasn't enough Pat and Isabel in it for my liking. Maybe it' because I don't particularly remember the stories from my childhood and also the German title ingrained in my brain (Hanni and Nanni) makes me believe it should be more about the twins.

Instead, we spent most of the summer term, again, learning about the new girls in the form which is okay and necessary but Prudence is and awful character and Sadie do
Emma Rose Ribbons
Nov 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-stories
I read school stories because, as a rule, the authors encourage girls to strive for themselves and be very active in different things (school clubs, sports, etc). The problem with this book, which wasn't so prevalent in the first one, is that the plot doesn't revolve around a mystery, or who's going to a win a competition, or whether a pupil's piece is good enough for the school's journal. Each chapter has a new prank played on one of the teachers and there's a lot of bullying going on - in one ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
Re-reading St Clare's

The last term of the first form at St Clare's... a few odd things happen in this book. One of the girls gets kidnapped by a gypsy (Blyton's words, not mine) and they considered not letting the police know so the school wouldn't get any attention by the media.

It's interesting how there's more focus on being intelligent, sporty, plain-looking whereas nowadays you would not get insulted at school by other pupils for not bothering to do your work or making sure your hair look
Karen
Blyton goes noir... After a gentle start to the series, she brings out the big-gun bullying here, with Prudence against poor Pam, and a rather bizarre kidnap attempt on the rich American girl, Sadie. I have to say, I thought I'd read all the books, but I have no memory of this, other than Carlotta and Bobby, who are also quite prominent in the follow-up, so maybe I missed this one out. My daughter's still enjoying them - I fear we may have to read all eight before I get to introduce her to The H ...more
Limau Nipis
Aah, after three books that Enid Blyton decided to conclude the first former series. I am fond of the twins, Pat and Isabel, but the focus has somehow shifted to their circles of friends.

I love the addition of new characters and particularly love Bobby and Carlotta. As for Prudence, I shuddered on why she is so sneaky and keep telling tales. Yes, I know that not all the girls are good, but some characters were painted as so sneaky that I feel uncomfortable reading about Prudence's mischief.

Well,
Kirsti
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Poor Pat and Isabel! Sick before school goes back, and having to spend the first week at home. Blow! as they would say :) Still, this book introduces some of my favorite characters; Carlotta, Pam and Bobby. Carlotta is especially a good character, by the time she reaches the end of her schooling she really does come into her own, and it's fun rereading stories about her when she was still half wild. I liked the sneaky Prudence as well; Enid always gives such ugly names to the baddies! She gets h ...more
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Enid Blyton's books, they are so charming and it makes me wish that today's society had a similar feeling to it! I found that there was a lot of deeper issues in this book, compared to Enid's other novels, which as an adult I found very interesting to read however, for a child reader, which is who the book is aimed for, I'm not sure that I at a young age would have fully understood the reasons and contextual issues behind some of the plot. Still a brilliant quick read which I ador ...more
Naomi Maharani
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Revisiting old pages really does help when you feel unsure with your surroundings. This happen as the eerie feeling reminds me that whenever good things happen there are always bad things to follow.
These familiar characters causes me to look back to what I felt in that day. They are also make me realize that whatever happens, things will go on, things will move forward. I will experience some good fortune and also some disappointment. I will learn to pick which person I can trust or not to be t
Katie Grainger
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The twins are about to start the summer term at St Clare's when they get mumps! They are understandably upset to be put in quarantine but are soon returned to School a week late. There are a number of new girls to puzzle over including Carlotta who it turns out belonged to the circus. Towards the end of term there is even a kidnap plot to keep us entertained! An interesting read this one and a fitting ending book to end the twins first year at St Clare's.
T.F.
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
This is quite a nice book - way better than the previous book. While I did not find this book all the great, it introduces two of the key characters who will form an integral part of rest of the series - Carlotta and Bobby. Somehow the human relation issues are not that issues nor is the book an absolute laugh riot. But still a decent read.
Tracey
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Decided I needed a bit of a reminder of my childhood reading and got this out of the library while I was trying to find books for my boys. Probably mourning not getting to share my favorites with a daughter. It's funny to look back 30 years and read this with a fresh perspective loved the nostalgia. I loved this as a child though Mallory Towers was my favorite of Blyton's school series'
Lauren
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, one of my faves! My Mum read it when she was my age and she gave the book to me, and I LOVED it! It's about teenage twins: Pat and Isobel, who board at a girls school. It's fantastic, and I think everyone in this class can relate!
Lady Entropy
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Still having a ball reviewing these old books. I'm still amazed by how they manage to get me glued on to them, even though I should have outgrown them, and the books really have no plot to talk of.

However, I'm glad that some things are still as good as I remember them to be.
Avi
Oct 17, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was a great book. After the O' Sullivan twins are sick and have to stay home from their first week of term, they fall right into place at their beloved school, St. Clare's. A good book to read if you are looking for a light, happy read.
Maryam
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jakes
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you liked the first two I bet you're going to like this one more Mam'zel and if you like biscuits you will not like this one bad luck for Isabel and a case of the mumps and a glass of sour milk and a lot of Sadie
Ellena Laurenzia
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, shelf-23
The stories from the St. Clare's is something fascinating, it is not very different from Malory Towers but it most certainly has twists in it that I personally enjoy.
Christina Zita
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I REALLY LOVE THIS BOOK~!~!!!!~~ I want to read it over and over
Fay
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A nostalgic tale that takes me back to my childhood.
Sanaa
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book cuz it has funny characters
and I love Enid Blyton books.

• The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • The Chalet School and Jo
  • Di Gua Kelelawar (Lima Sekawan)
Enid Mary Blyton (1897 - 1968) was an English author of children's books.

Born in South London, Blyton was the eldest of three children, and showed an early interest in music and reading. She was educated at St. Christopher's School, Beckenham, and - having decided not to pursue her music - at Ipswich High School, where she trained as a kindergarten teacher. She taught for five years before her 192

St. Clare's (9 books)
  • Fifth Formers of St Clare's
  • The Third Form at St. Clare's
  • The Sixth Form at St. Clare's
  • Kitty at St. Clare's
“You are honest enough by nature to be able to see and judge your own self clearly - and that is a great thing. Never lose that honesty, Bobby - always be honest with yourself, know your own motives for what they are, good or bad, make your own decisions firmly and justly - and you will be a fine, strong character, of some real use in this muddled world of ours!” 30 likes