Start by marking “Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)” as Want to Read:
Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)

Moominsummer Madness

(Mumintrollen #5)

A great flood wave threatens Moomin Valley!

When the Moomin family is flooded out of its home, the Moomins set about finding themselves a new one. And being resourceful little creatures, they soon find a very original one: a floating theatre!
Published June 3rd 2010 by Puffin (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Moominsummer Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moominsummer Madness

Katie
Apr 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the young at heart
When life gives you lemons, find an abandoned floating theater and make your absurdist masterpiece.
Mir
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tove Jansson is really kind of amazing.

This is only the second books of hers I've read, the other being The Summer Book. I was impressed then by the subtlety of her writing and her nuanced depiction of complex, contradictory human beings, but I wasn't entirely surprised -- it was an adult book, written about people Jansson knew well personally. I was not expecting a short children's book about cute made up creatures to display the same level of insights into human nature and behavior. But it totally
Stephen Curran
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take all the self help manuals and holy books in the world, chuck them off a cliff, and replace them with this. The Moomins hold the key to a happy life. Volcanos? Great floods? Natural devastation? Separated families? To the Groke with them! Let's all light a lamp and have some marmalade with our tea!
Jessica
So awesome! Moominvalley floods, and they take shelter in what was actually a theatre that had drifted by. Some truly charming and hilarious moments.

Reread 2019: Truly one of the weirder of the Moomin books, and that's saying quite a lot!
Paula Bardell-Hedley
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Moominites of every age!
“A theatre is the most important sort of house in the world, because that’s where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they’d like to be if they dared to and what they really are.”
Moominsummer Madness is the fourth title in Tove Jansson’s series of stories about a family of benevolent, philosophical trolls with downy fur and soft round snouts, who reside in a rather unusual house in an attractive woodland valley by the sea.

Moominites tend to consider this book, first pu
I've liked all Moomin books this far, but somehow this one appealed to me even more than usual. The writing style and the atmosphere of the story are exactly as magical as they should be on a Midsummer night, and despite the rather absurd and adventurous happenings the book left me with a very peaceful mood. There's almost something Shakespearean in this, even though there are no fairies. The play within the story is hilarious, and the whole theatre thing just made me laugh so much. I also fangi ...more
evelina
These books are so cute I love to read them in between other books!
Deborah O'Carroll
Ack, I love it! *huggles book* Snufkin is my FAVORITE EVER! <3 He's so awesome and just the best! And what he did about the signs . . . and his twenty-four little woodies -- GAAHH SO CUUUUTE!!! <3 I about died from the adorableness and awesomeness of this. Also, I love Little My. She's hilarious. XD All in all, great little book! <3
Juushika
Flood sends the Moomin family from their home during the height of June. Unbeknownst to them, they end up living in a (view spoiler), and I'll admit I'm not enamored of the dramatic irony and pastiche that this introduces; I love these books more when they're cozy/domestic or atmospheric/magical--funny/campy is less my vibe. But there's still so much cozy and atmospheric to be had. Multithreaded, coincidence-laden plots are difficult ...more
Jorge Rosas
The Moomin family finds a theatre and tries to perform their own play, that’s the memorable part of the book, but they end up there because of a volcano and a following flood of Moomin valley! Snufkin does some vandalism against some repressive figures and the consequences are bot fund and sad.
Stephanie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a lovely positive read!
Nora Cassandra
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and lovely summer trip I enjoyed in the middle of cold Finnish winter. Now I can't wait for summer. <3
Drew
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_to_kids
I love these stories. They're ostensibly for children, but there's so much deep wisdom in these books that an adult mind will relish them. As I have been doing.

The book kicks off with the eruption of a volcano which causes a tsunami which floods Moominvalley, swamping the Moomin house up to the second floor. The reaction by the Moomins and their friends is one of resigned whimsy. Why not cut a hole in the floor in order to look down into the kitchen from above and see what it looks l
Dane Martin
This book seems like it was written by an angel. I love the Moomin comic strip, as reprinted by Drawn and Quarterly, but I was not prepared for a dense, epic, beautiful journey that I was given here. This is as close as we're going to get to the world where Dr. Seuss wrote a novel. What a great thing this is.
Mira | I Read Like Phoebe Runs
One of my all time favorites, and perhaps my favorite Moomin book altogether. It is magical, filled with comforting wisdom about life and how to deal when a crisis hits. Moominmamma is the greatest character of all times, I just freaking love her.
Carol
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Moomins get cuter as books go by, and there's also far more characters accompanying them. We've got the Mymble's daughter and Little My, more Hemulens, all the theatre people, plus Whoomper and Misabel.
The story is about a flood in Moomin valley and how the family ends up living in a theatre for a while, which ends up being really fun as they even put up a play. Misabel was a horrible character at the beginning, she's always sad and lonely, but it gets better later on. I loved the small the
J. Boo
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A volcano unleashes a tsunami that floods Moominvalley, causing the family, no more than mildly perturbed by the experience, to take refuge in a floating theater. Jansson pokes fun at the theatrical, the overly loquacious, the control freaks, and others, in way accessible to children and enjoyable to adults.

Lots of friends here are into the Moomins, and, now that I've read one, I can see why - "Moominsummer Madness" was a hoot. It's far down in the series, but it wasn't difficult to
Janice
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scribd, 2019, reread
The Moomins get flooded out, but it's ok, there's a stage floating by!

And they do fine, and are charming, and I kinda love them all.
Neonraate
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, owns
A very tectonically interesting moomin book! It's so funny and charming, and I love the writing style, the illustrations, and all of the characters! Snufkin was particularly funny in this one!
Caroline
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This endeared the Moomins (and their friends) to me much more than I anticipated. Things happen, as if in a dream, where the valley floods... and Moominmama is worried about breakfast and coffee. They float around on their house until it starts to sink and they move to another floating house.

It's endearing and I love everyone's attitudes of going with the flow and not worrying too much about things because they'll all work out. It's reminiscent of Pippi, and I'm really getting a feel
Sophie Anderson
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snufkin sowing Hattifattener seeds to give the Park Keeper a scare might be the best scene in a book EVER.
Jeremy Burrows
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio book.
Anne
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moomin madness at its finests. Might not be my favorite story of all of the Moomin books, but it has some of the best Snufkin and Little My illustrations which makes it 5 stars no matter what.
Bjorn
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finland
Wayne Walker
Do you know what Moomins are? They are a family of white, roundish fanciful creatures with large snouts like hippopotamuses and are the subjects of a series of nine children’s fairy tale like books written and illustrated by Tove Marika Jansson (1914–2001), a Swedish-speaking Finnish novelist, painter, illustrator, and comic strip author. There are Moominpappa, Moominmamma, their son Moomintroll, his girlfriend the Snork Maiden, and a host of other eccentric characters. The first such book, The ...more
Vasha7
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Among warm and comforting books for children, this has to be one of the warmest. It takes its character from Moominmamma, who greets every new event (however seemingly problematic) as a delightful experience; for instance, when a rising sea floods her house, she's charmed by how unfamiliar the kitchen looks seen underwater from the ceiling. Furthermore, she has a supreme lack of worry, saying, "Only bad people fare badly." This faith is of course entirely justified in this book's world; in fact, ...more
Karl Orbell
Jan 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Half way through the Moomin series. Another pleasant little adventure, if a tad weird. The Moomin family et al are flooded out by some volcano activity and take to the seas, somehow catching a lift in an adrift theatre. Certain family members get lost and go bobbing about elsewhere and, well, the usual weirdness ensues.

Snufkin wasn't in this until over half way through, though he does have a memorable criminal encounter with the despicable park keepers and has to hone his parenting skills, and try and control
Heather
Jan 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I literally carried this book everywhere with me for a solid month, re-reading it over and over and ... well, you get the idea. I bought it from one of those Traveling Book Fair vans that came to my school in (I think) 4th grade. I still have that copy, and have since purchased all the others, including the complete comic strips in hard cover. I can't say enough good things about these books that kids and adults alike can enjoy.
Shon Rand
Dec 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Whimsical and entertaining, a light read without an overt moral, Moominsummer Madness is a book I’d have loved as a kid. I’d read it to my kids; it’s not scary, it’s not at all dark, and even the stickiest situations the Moomins find themselves in are fairly easily solved thanks to the family’s optimism and unflagging support for one another. Did I love it as an adult? No, not really, but I’m not the target audience.
Fred
The greatest strength of this series is its dignity. A lesser author would keep reminding us how "odd" or "whimsical" it was. Here we get a straightforward story about the world flooding and going to live on a floating stage. I deeply appreciate these books.

Also I understand about the evilness of park keepers. One almost ran me over with a tractor because we broke a branch off his tree.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Tiitiäisen satupuu
  • Koirien Kalevala
  • Moomin: The Complete Lars Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 6
  • Uppo-Nalle (Uppo-Nalle, #1)
  • The Uprising (Under the North Star, #2)
  • Sanovat sitä rakkaudeksi
  • Sudenmorsian
  • Putkinotko
  • Ronia, the Robber's Daughter
  • Mielensäpahoittaja (Mielensäpahoittaja, #1)
  • Dziewczyna i chłopak czyli heca na 14 fajerek
  • Punainen viiva
  • Pettersson kriegt Weihnachtsbesuch
  • Anna minun rakastaa enemmän
  • Enkelten verta
  • Keväällä isä sai siivet (Austraasia, #1)
  • Pessi ja Illusia
Tove Jansson was born and died in Helsinki, Finland. As a Finnish citizen whose mother tongue was Swedish, she was part of the Swedish-speaking Finns minority. Thus, all her books were originally written in Swedish.

Although known first and foremost as an author, Tove Jansson considered her careers as author and painter to be of equal importance.

Tove Jansson wrote and illustrated her first Moomin b

Mumintrollen (9 books)
  • The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins, #1)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Moominpappa's Memoirs (The Moomins, #4)
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Tales from Moominvalley (The Moomins, #7)
  • Moominpappa at Sea (The Moomins, #8)
  • Moominvalley in November (The Moomins, #9)
“A theatre is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd like to be if they dared to and what they really are” 112 likes
“I'll have to calm down a bit. Or else I'll burst with happiness” 77 likes