Start by marking “120 Malay Movies” as Want to Read:
120 Malay Movies

120 Malay Movies

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
120 Malay Movies is a romp through the films that were made in Singapore and then in Kuala Lumpur from 1948 to 1972. (120 represents about a third of all Malay-language films during that period, and this book features most of the famous titles as well as some overlooked gems.) Malaysian writer and filmmaker Amir Muhammad watched them in chronological order and responds to ...more
Published July 2010 by Matahari Books

To ask other readers questions about 120 Malay Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 120 Malay Movies

Khairul H.
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, favorites
Amir Muhammad’s latest book has rekindled my interest in the Golden Age of Malay cinema (anything filmed before 1973). I grew up wathing mainly P. Ramlee movies (usually his comedies but some of his melodramas as well) on RTM back when Malaysia only had two channels. I taped them and re-watched them over and over until one day, I ‘grew up’ and left the VHS tapes to gather dust. This was also a point in time when I thought P. Ramlee movies and all the Malay movies of that era were of a low qualit ...more
Jiwa Rasa
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Amir Muhammad berjaya memberi perspektif yang segar kepada filem Melayu terutama generasi yang lahir selepas era kegemilangan filem Melayu. 120 filem disusun mengikut tarikh ianya ditayangkan dan diberikan perspektif sosial dan politik dengan mengambil kira peristiwa yang berlaku sekitar waktu pembikinannya. Rupanya banyak kritik sosial dalam filem-filem Melayu yang dapat diolah dengan baik oleh Amir Muhammad seorang pengamat sosial dan penulis yang juga seorang pembikin filem.
Fasyali Fadzly Bin Saipul Bahri
Saya suka dengan cara Amir mengaitkan filem-filem tersebut dengan latar kontemporari. saya rasa itulah yang mengikat saya untuk membaca buku ini dari awal sehingga habis. Sudut pandang beliau juga begitu menyegarkan dengan penggunaan ayat-ayat yang 'witty'.
Heidi
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I read through many parts but skimmed on some as I fancied though I can say that Amir Muhammad managed to extract and pinpoint the essence and interesting/important scenes of a lot of the movies reviewed. A glimpse into old Malay cinema was quite a treat.
Nina
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
i think his insight on the malay movies is funny.
this books made me bought 2 vcd of the old movies that i have not watched.

Azura Mustafa
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is nice to read a book that is full of information, historical aspects and at the same time having a good time reading it.
Mohamed Yosri