Start by marking “Elijah Lovejoy's Fight for Freedom” as Want to Read:
Elijah Lovejoy's Fight for Freedom

Elijah Lovejoy's Fight for Freedom

Two decades before the Civil War, Elijah P. Lovejoy used his newspaper to call for an end to slavery. His beliefs were dangerous enough. Taking his cause public proved deadly. Angry mobs destroyed his printing equipment three times. Then, two days before he turned 35, an Illinois mob shot and killed Elijah as he defended a fourth press. His efforts fueled progress on the i ...more
Published July 5th 2010 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published October 16th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Elijah Lovejoy's Fight for Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elijah Lovejoy's Fight for Freedom

Start your review of Elijah Lovejoy's Fight for Freedom
Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is an absolute marvel of great research, captivating writing, well placed illustrations, timeline and glossary. I would recommend it for any child age 8-12 as a supplement to social studies curriculum or just as a great book on American history. It would make a great book to read for a report in history class. I will definitely share this book with my children. My favorite quality of this book was that Elijah was described as a real person, not as an iconic figure like many books for c ...more
William Bentrim
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Elijah Lovejoy’s Fight for Freedom by Jennifer Phillips

Having once taught history, I was somewhat embarrassed to have never heard of Elijah Lovejoy. This children’s book gives a clear and concise history of Elijah Lovejoy and his fight for freedom of speech. Ms. Phillips does a good job in providing background and information in a manner acceptable to the younger reader.

I liked the way Ms. Phillips interspersed quotes and illustrations. It is important to provide extra stimulus to keep the inte
Barbara Lovejoy
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book! My husband is related to Elijah Lovejoy so that made the book that much more special for me. I learned lots of things about Elijah that I didn't know. I highly recommend this book and encourage everyone to learn more about his amazing man.
Cheryl
Feb 02, 2011 marked it as interesting-possibilities
Recommended to Cheryl by: First Reads
nonfiction biography, for younger readers, historical and well received by other reviewers

2/17/2011 not in local libaries (worldcat) Odd: material type in worldcat listed as Biography, Government publication, Juvenile audience, State or province government publication http://www.worldcat.org/title/elijah-...
Crystal Chodes-Squibb
Elisabeth Myers
May 11, 2020
Joshua Kennedy
Jun 22, 2020
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more information. ...more