Start by marking “GoD and DoG” as Want to Read:
GoD and DoG

GoD and DoG

GOD AND DOG is a phenomenon. First appearing on YouTube, the video of Wendy Francisco's charming animated illustrations and moving song tells of the unconditional love of both God and Dog.

With over 2 million YouTube viewings to date, Francisco's story appeals to all ages, to animal enthusiasts, to people of religious persuasions, and especially to anyone who has been
Published September 20th 2010 by Center Street

To ask other readers questions about GoD and DoG, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about GoD and DoG

Start your review of GoD and DoG
Elizabeth
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
God and Dog by Wendy Francisco is an awesome short read! I actually viewed the youtube version of the book which is sung by Wendy Francisco before receiving it in the mail (as I won the book from Goodreads! : D) and when I had the hard copy in hand, I sang the song quietly to myself and the song depicts a touching story! I recommend the book to all animal lovers, especially dog lovers, or anyone who wants to hear a genuine story. I would have gladly given the book five stars if the book was ...more
Armand
Sep 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Absolutely the worst children's book I have ever read. At least I hope it's a children's book. I wouldn't recommend this book to any parent for their kids. There aren't enough words in heaven in describe the disdain I have for this book.
Peggy Van wunnik
How sweet is this?

If you love God, and you love dogs, you should love this sweet book. It made me smile and I can’t wait to read it to my grandkids—and to sing them the song, too!
William Bradford
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs
Just an all around great book.....
Lori
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, inspirational
I just lost my precious dog Sandy and was given this book. What a sweet testament to the love of God and dogs. Once I finished the book I found the song on youtube and listened.
Rose
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book!

This book touched my heart. My granddaughter is special needs and this was a book she could understand. A forever keeper!
Eva Leger
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Eva by: Hatchette Publishing
I had never heard of this book, song or Wendy Francisco when I received this yesterday. This came to me in a package of books relating to animals that I won from a publishers blog.
I can see from the reviews here that this woman is well loved and I'm slightly surprised I hadn't heard of her or this song/book before. I don't frequent YouTube so that may be the reason for that.
GoD and DoG is a cute little book. But. And there is a but. I mean, there's not much to it right? And I knooooowwwww,
Jules
Jul 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was first directed to the YouTube version of this charming book sometime last year by a blogging friend who is also an avid/rabid animal lover like myself. This amazingly touching two minute video made me bawl like a baby. It is such a simple, happy message that grabs you and stays with you. When I found out there was a book being made, I put it on my MUST HAVE list immediately.

Sweet illustrations accompany the verse in this hardbound version of the internet sensation. It is a wonderful
Brenda
Sep 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In this little book the author is able to express the unconditional love of Dog and God, a book written so simply with beautiful illustrations and sparse wording,but with a powerful message that will touch your heart and make you profoundly thankful for the companionship of the dogs who love you, after all they are our furry children, and I for one know my life is much richer because of the animals that share it.

I think this book is appropriate for all ages and and would make a great gift for
Christie
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
God and Dog is a little picture book with a big message. Taking the words god and dog, and showing how one can be reversed to spell the other. The emphasis is on how both God and your dog will be there when needed, even when they aren’t the main focus of our busy lives. Both show unconditional love and forgiveness. A very touching read, and one I hope to share with my children again and again. The illustrations are beautiful. My children were instantly drawn in by the adorable black and white ...more
Elizabeth Mundie
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was captivated with this little book from the moment that I saw it. It uses the relationship between a person and dog to illustrate truths about the relationships between God and person. This also makes a great gift book, though probably only for dog lovers. I'm waiting for Wendy to do some kind of cat equivalent for the cat people in my life.

Someone mentioned that there is not much meat in this book. It's not meant to be a long read or a deep one. It's sort of like a beautiful children's
Wendy Hines
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This has to be one of the most precious books I've read this year. It only took me a few minutes, but the message is clear.

God and Dog never leave you. Your the one that walks away, not them. When you return, they are always waiting for you, and they always love you.

Beautiful pictures, and drawn pictures of dogs captivated me with it's simple words.

First appearing on YouTube, this video and moving song have been published in book format. The sheet music for the song is at the back of the book. A
Jessi
Nov 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoy this book because it's fun and seriously deep all at the same time. It amazes me that truths about God and his grace can be displayed through human's interaction with a dog. The illustrations in this little book - perfect for gift giving - are cute and fun, and they ignite in me all that I love about my dog while the powerful metaphor reminds me of the truth about God. Whether or not one is familiar with the YouTube video from which this book originates, it is still bound to fill the ...more
Cat
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The unconditional love of God and dogs are brought together in this uplifitng little book. This is a wonderful little book for anyone who loves dogs, and would make a great gift.

I do reccommend watching the video and listening to the song as it adds a little more depth to the narrative. (The video can be found on Wendy's site http://www.wendyfrancisco.com/ )

*I received this book for free as part of the First Reads program at www.goodreads.com
Jackie
"Amen...Bow Wow": That about sums up this thought-provoking, simple text. We walk away, but unconditional love is always there waiting. Makes you stop and think and what is truly, TRULY important in our lives.

GoD and DoG will sit on my desk as a reminder to me, of their love for me.

Thank you to Goodreads, Wendy Francisco, and Hatchette Book Group for this inspirational little book.
Barbara
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any dog lover
This book is very short, yet profound in some ways. The drawings are adorable, and so is the sentiment. It compares God's love and the love a dog has for it's owner,and will generate fond thoughts of your own dog and/or a dog you had in the past. Happily, it seems to make it clear that a dog is not God in any way, but is a gift God gave us to show His love. I am thrilled I won this through First-reads.
Barbara Lynn
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh I love this book! What a wonderful way to help explain the way God loves you unconditionally. This would be perfect for a young child of about 4, 5, 6, or 7 years old. The words are simple enough to understand. And an feature I was not expecting was the sheet music to the words. I will truly make sure this books lands in the hands of my nephew for Christmas. I got the book Free through Goodreads.
Mary
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
This beautifully illustrated book would make an excellent addition to anyone's coffee table. It is definitely a book you will want to keep. The simple text really cuts straight to the heart of dog lovers. The pictures in the book portray the joy that dogs can bring into your life. No matter what you call your higher power this books sums it up nicely.
Dan Streeper
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Delightful! A quick read... it's only 42 pages or so... and comes with the music for the song which includes the guitar chords. You can find the song and video on You-Tube by the original author... simply wonderful. Especially if you are a dog...god lover! For all you palindrome lovers out there a must read ;)
Ronda
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011, about-dogs, own
I received this book from a very dear friend after the passing of my almost 9 year old baby girl Boston Terrier. If you have ever had a pet that you loved and lost or if a friend is grieving the loss of a furbaby, this book is a treat and an awesome way to show you care.
Karen
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Every dog lover will understand...
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A short, yet profound book, this remains a favorite of mine. I especially love the youtube version set to music: https://youtu.be/H17edn_RZoY
Shacoria
May 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
This story has a pretty good message to it and I thought the author was creative at finding the parallels between God and the dog.
Marsha Nelson
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very cute - a great gift. Contains for the words and music for the song.
Karen
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the YouTube video of Francisco's song and had to order her book. The writing and illustrations are wonderful, and the words are oh so true.
Connie
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I loved this book! Can't wait to pass it along to my grandkids to enjoy!

FTC disclosure: I recieved this book from Goodreads hoping I would review it.
Beth
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-books, own
The YouTube video is much better because it has animation, but the sentiment behind this book is absolutely touching.
Carrie
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiratioal
Simple. Sweet. Wonderful!
Beverly
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Sweet book- Dogs rule!!

• The Wise and Witty Quote Book: More than 2000 Quotes to Enlighten, Encourage, and Enjoy
  • The Dogs of Christmas
  • A Dog's Journey (A Dog's Purpose, #2)
  • Unsolved (Invisible, #2)
  • Haatchi & Little B: The Inspiring True Story of One Boy and His Dog
  • Fly a Little Higher
  • Ricochet: Riding a Wave of Hope with the Dog Who Inspires Millions
  • Dark Tribute (Eve Duncan, #24)
  • The Snow Leopard Project: And Other Adventures in Warzone Conservation
  • Ruby's Tale
  • A Woman's Book of Inspiration
  • The Shaker Murders (Will Rees #6)
  • My Life Among the Underdogs: A Memoir
  • The Name of God is Mercy
  • The Unit
  • Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)
  • Will Rogers
  • What Is It All But Luminous: Notes From an Underground Man
Wendy was born in 1955 in Boston, grew up in Southern California, and graduated from San Diego State University with degrees in art and creative writing. Wendy sings, writes, plays guitar, and paints. She's illustrated books, recorded CDs, and traveled the world doing concerts. You may remember her singing the title song to the NBC sitcom "Dear John".

In 2009, Wendy's first animated video, GoD and