Start by marking “Everett Ruess: A Vagabond for Beauty & Wilderness Journals” as Want to Read:
Everett Ruess: A Vagabond for Beauty & Wilderness Journals

Everett Ruess: A Vagabond for Beauty & Wilderness Journals

Everett Ruess—a bold teenage adventurer, artist, and writer—tramped around the Sierra Nevada, the California coast, and the desert wilderness of the Southwest between 1930 and 1934. At the age of 20, he mysteriously vanished into the barren Utah desert. Ruess has become an icon for modern-day adventurers and seekers. His search for ultimate beauty and adventure is chronicl ...more
Published June 17th 2002 by Gibbs Smith (first published September 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Everett Ruess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Everett Ruess

Start your review of Everett Ruess: A Vagabond for Beauty & Wilderness Journals
Susan
Nov 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I picked up "Into the Wild" thinking that Christopher McCandless might have something in common with Everett Ruess, the subject of this book. The two couldn't be more different. McCandless and his journey both lack sincerity and commitment and as a result his death was more pathetic than poetic or tragic. Ruess, on the other hand was a graceful genius and an artist who really meant it. He was driven by some kind of spiritual pursuit deeper than I can even comprehend. The kid vanished in the dese ...more
Christie
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
11/3/09--New update reversing the new findings reported in April on Everett's disappearance. Go to www.startribune.com/nation/65337832.h...

LOVERS OF EVERETT RUESS, TAKE NOTE: If you have read this book, part of the mystery has been solved regarding his dissappearance. For details go to http://adventure.nationalgeographic.c...
Be careful--if you haven't finished the book, you may not want to check out this news story.

Must read. Great biography, travelogue and story of a budding conservationist.
desertmolly
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who sees poerty in nature
Shelves: favorites
This book was/is almost too good to be true...I found a reference to it while reading Krakauer's Into the Wild. "In the mid-Depression year of 1934, Everett Ruess disappeared. His last known camp was in the Escalante River region of southern Utah, a place of bare rock, vertical cliffs, plunging canyons, and soaring mesas." Most of the book is made up of letters he wrote to his freinds and family, while pursuing his dream of oneness with nature. This guy wasn't even 18 when he decided to buy a bu ...more
Dan
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is exciting I may actually finally have an opinion about a book!

I have a respect for Everett, but also a slight disrespect. His "life" as he called it, consisted of spending months at a time in the wild, at the mercy of the good people around him. He would meet people in the wild, and get invited to meals. Or trade paintings for meals or try working for food. He would also get money from Home, 15 dollars allowance here and there. He lived for months at a time in the national forest, or the
Brian
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Just a fantastic first-person look into the life of a true wanderer. Reading Everett's letters was a joy. I would like to have known him.
Tim
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This collection of letters within a narrative about Ruess is quite fascinating IF one has visited the SW canyonlands he wandered through. Which means visit Utah, northern Arizona, then read this account.
Bill Brewer
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book after it was referenced in Eric Blehm’s great book The Last Season. There are many people, doubtless thousands, who are not cut out for daily routine of life most of us adjust to and Everett Ruess was one such individual just as Randy Morgenson the back country ranger Eric Blehm wrote about in The Last Season. You could add to that list Willie Unsoeld chronicled in Ascent by Laurence Leamer, and Chris McCandless of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.
Everett Ruess was one of the early
Kirk
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
This should really have been integrated into one book, rather than this stapled-together version. Vagabond often quotes the journal entries that appear in the second book, and the chronology would have been better established were they combined. Rusho would benefit from third-party editing for typos, of which there were several.

Production complaints aside, Ruess' story is an interesting one. Through his letters, poems, journals, and woodblock prints, we become well-acquainted with him and his c
Annette
Through this combined volume of letters and personal journal entries, the last few years of Everett Ruess's life http://www.everettruess.net/ is partially revealed. Ruess was a dreamer who reveled in nature, travel, and being outdoors. He was also an artist, writer and adventurer who spent much of his latter teenage years exploring the Sierra Nevada region of California and the desert wilderness of the Southwest. He often traveled alone. In November 1934, the twenty year-old Ruess left Escalante ...more
Erika F
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There's a song Nat King Cole made popular called "Nature Boy." This is that boy. Ever since reading this book, he's haunted me. An artist, a truly free spirit, at one with nature, he disappeared into the wild never to be seen again. His story is often seen as tragic. I see magic in it. I imagine him always in wonder, never dying, always young at heart. This is a book to hold close, to read and reread. In it you might a way to live a life unfettered by convention, or raddled by possessions, or to ...more
SouthWestZippy
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a wonderful book. If you like people that go against the norm then you will love this book. Synopsis Everett Ruess, a bold teenage adventurer, artist, and writer - studied and lived with Edward Weston, Maynard Dixon and Dorothea Lange. He traded prints with Ansel Adams. He tramped around the Sierra Nevada, the California coast, and the desert wilderness of the Southwest pursuing his dream of ultimate beauty and oneness with nature.
Aaron York
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Don't know if there's anyone I associate with more than this cat. Everett was the pioneer back in the early 1900's who set the tone for the adventurer in all of us. He's the reason Chris McCandless ever set out to Alaska in, "Into The Wild" - A brilliant philosopher, an amazing writer, a great poet, a wonderful human being, an explorer, adventurer, and seeker of life, truth and happiness.
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this down. The focus on the letters, diary entries and artwork with only occasional remarks by the editor to fill in the blanks gave this real pace and immediacy. A very thought provoking read on a number of levels.
Ranee
Aug 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
an intriguing figure,with a glimpse of the the early 1920s and 30s. if you think you would enjoy reading about the travels of a young intelligent man, exploring the wilderness, this is a great book for you.
Queen
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In his journals, Everett gets angry and frustrate with people more often than he shows. His mother erased things she didn't like such as smoking and atheism.
Karen
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Add this book to your essential desert rat book collection....
Ryan
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Everett was a great writer for his age and education. His story is interesting. I didn't, however, like just reading his letters. I wish that there was more to the book.
jessica
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
interesting take on a mans search for meaning in the wilderness! makes me want to go take a hike!

Andrew
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps my alltime favorite book, a great tale of an adventurer going out and putting together a trip most of us can only dream about.
Susie

Jul 28, 2014
Sonja
Jul 21, 2009
Totally cliche, but. . . 1 33 Aug 14, 2008 07:02PM

• The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics
  • This Tender Land
  • Ranger Confidential: Living, Working, and Dying in the National Parks
  • Utah's Black Hawk War
  • Cowboys Are My Weakness: Stories
  • The Trail Life: How I Loved it, Hated it, and Learned from it
  • The First Man in Rome (Masters of Rome, #1)
  • Use of Weapons (Culture #3)
  • The God We Never Knew: Beyond Dogmatic Religion to a More Authentic Contemporary Faith
  • Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time: The Historical Jesus and the Heart of Contemporary Faith
  • Saturn (The Grand Tour, #13)
  • Inside: One Woman's Journey Through the Inside Passage
  • The State of Affairs: Rethinking Infidelity
  • Insatiable Wives: Women Who Stray and the Men Who Love Them
  • Wishes and Wellingtons
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
  • Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident

News & Interviews

“While I am alive, I intend to live. (Everett Ruess to his friend Bill, Mar 9, 1931, p 31)” 10 likes
“Du fragst, wann ich meinen nächsten Abstecher in die zivilisierte Welt machen werde. Nun, ich glaube nicht, dass dies sehr bald sein wird. Ich bin der Wildnis noch lange nicht überdrüssig, genieße vielmehr ihre Schönheit und das Wanderleben, das ich führe, mit jedem neuen Tag mehr. Ich sitze tausendmal lieber im Sattel als in der Trambahn, und auf ein Dach über dem Kopf verzichte ich gern, wenn ich nur unter einem besternten Himmel sitzen darf; der einsame, unwegsame Trail, der mich an einen unbekannten Ort führt, reizt mich mehr als jeder asphaltierte Highway, und auch bin ich lieber vom tiefen Frieden der Wildnis umgeben als von der Unzufriedenheit, die in den Städten herrscht. Kannst du es mir verübeln, wenn ich bleibe, wo ich m ich heimisch fühle, wo ich eins bin mit der Welt um mich herum? Es ist wahr, mir fehlt zuweilen der gute Freund, das geistreiche Gespräch. Doch es gibt kaum jemanden, mit dem ich mich über die Erlebnisse, die mir soviel bedeuten, austauschen könnte. Ich habe daher längst gelernt, darauf verzichten. Es reicht mir vollkommen, von Schönheit umgeben zu sein…
Auch wenn du’s mir nur flüchtig geschildert hast, weiß ich, dass ich den Trott und die Eintönigkeit des Lebens, das du zu führen gezwungen bist, nicht einen Tag aushalten könnte. Ich kann mir nicht vorstellen, meinem Wanderleben jemals abzuschwören. Ich bin zu tief in die Geheimnisse des Lebens vorgedrungen und würde so ziemlich alles einer Rückkehr ins Leben der Mittelmäßigkeit vorziehen.”
1 likes