Start by marking “The Horla” as Want to Read:
The Horla

The Horla

This scarce antiquarian book is a facsimile reprint of the original. Due to its age, it may contain imperfections such as marks, notations, marginalia and flawed pages. Because we believe this work is culturally important, we have made it available as part of our commitment for protecting, preserving, and promoting the world's literature in affordable, high quality, modern ...more
Published May 22nd 2010 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1886)

To ask other readers questions about The Horla, please sign up.
Vasil With respect to the answers depicting the entity as just the projected "outer self" of the protagonist, I consider this view rather one-sided.
Lets…more
Lets not forget that the protagonist does reflect on the nature of evolution, considering the entity to possibly be the next step in evolution.
There's also a paragraph where he is wondering what kind of life forms might exist among the stars, which implies him regarding the entity as possibly of alien origin.
Lastly, and maybe most importantly, there's the news clip about the "epidemic" of "Horla-outbreak" in a rural area of Brazil. (Were all those hardy villagers simply projecting their outer self? I don't think so.)
In conclusion, with respect to the previous views and with regard to the mental condition of the writer at the time, I still think that "in-story" the Horla ("the Outsider") is presented as a real, albeit utterly strange, entity.(less)

Sandra
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story, kb, classics
A man thinks there is something haunting him in his home, something he can't see. Is it for real or just in his mind?

A fascinating short story. Eerie and atmospheric. (view spoiler)
Florencia

May 15, 16
* Also on my blog.
** You may read this short story in Spanish or English
Fernando
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Guy de Maupassant (a quien admiro, realmente), escribió más de 300 cuentos y no acostumbraba a encasillarse en un género, más allá de ser un protegido de Zolá y Flaubert y un alto exponente del realismo y del naturalismo, tenía una técnica brillante para elaborar sus cuentos.
"El Horla", un cuento sobre la locura, es tal vez el mejor que escribió y tiene para mí, connotaciones autobiográficas y también es un juego sutil y macabro en la que se establece la temática del doble, tan particular en la
Rym
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pre-Review:

I have read The Horla in French since I believe that semantic losses are inevitable in Translation. So if you can read it in its source language (SL) rather than in English —or any other target language (TL), then please do it.

Review:

The Horla is a short horror story written by the prolific French writer Guy de Maupassant. It was originally published as “Letter from a Madman” in 1885. It was then revised and published again as “The Horla” in the newspaper Gil Blas in 1886. The Ho
Carol
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carol by: Sandra
Published 1887 - THE HORLA - takes the reader on a journey into madness. Something is following the man around day and night, something he must capture and destroy....at all costs.

Set near Rouen, France - May 8 - at first the man in the big country house is not well....is in horrible agony. "Am I mad?" "I must be going mad." The doctor proclaims him well, but he questions the hallucinations, the mysterious incidents in his room at night.

Sometimes - the man takes short trips, but by - August 14

peiman-mir5 rezakhani
دوستانِ گرانقدر، این کتاب از 12 داستان تشکیل شده است که به دلیلِ طولانی نشدنِ این ریویو، من تنها خلاصه ای از پنج داستانِ آن را برایتان در زیر مینویسم
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
داستانِ اصلی در موردِ مردی است که احساس میکند که موجودی نیرومند و نامرئی به نامِ <هورلا> او و وجودِ او را تسخیر کرده است... تمام تلاشش را میکند تا او را کنترل کند و یا در اختیارِ خودش درآورد، اما نمیتواند... لذا در و پنجره های خانه را بسته و خانه را آتش میزند و خودش به
AGamarra
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clásicos, francia
Este breve cuento de Maupassant que pasó por varias correcciones viene a ser un relato espeluznante que más que miedo suele ocasionar angustia del lado del que narra sus terribles vivencias con "El Horla". Contada a manera de diario o como novela epistolar el personaje en primera persona es un hombre acomodado de París que empieza a tener impresiones muy extrañas con desapariciones de objetos durante las noches en que él duerme. Sólo conocemos su punto de vista durante toda la historia lo que ca ...more
classic reverie
I first heard of Guy de Maupassant after hearing "The Necklace"on Old Time Radio years ago, I have not read this yet but after hearing "The Horla" lately on OTR, I decided on reading this and comparing. After reading this story, I had listened again to both radio versions, The Weird Circle and Mystery in the Air. Both interesting but Peter Lorre's version which is the latter is pretty close to Maupassant's short story.

When looking up the book mentioned in this story of ancient unknowns, I found
Steven Godin
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, short-stories
Like Russia's Anton Chekhov, when it comes to the short story de Maupassant has rarely let me down. This is easily read in one sitting, and it's a bit of gothic horror affair, that is thought of as influencing the classic Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. Things start off innocently enough before we witness one man's descent into madness. Through a series of journal entries a man tells he is not feeling so good, of which leads to various vacations, but his illness always returns when he get ...more
Yani
Existen al menos dos versiones de este cuento y son bastante diferentes en el formato, más que en el argumento. Digo “al menos” porque se considera que el cuento "Carta de un loco" es, en realidad, la primera versión de las otras dos (ay, qué lío). Existen varias similitudes entre los tres cuentos, porque todos tienen como protagonista a un demente que percibe una presencia. Como también leí "Carta…", me pareció bien hacerle un espacio y comentarlo muy brevemente.

"Carta de un loco" (1885, serí
George K.
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Η μικρή αυτή νουβέλα αποτελεί την πρώτη μου επαφή με το έργο του Γκι Ντε Μοπασάν και νομίζω ότι δύσκολα θα μπορούσε να γίνει καλύτερη αρχή. Πρόκειται για μια αρκετά σκοτεινή ιστορία σε ημερολογιακή μορφή, η οποία μπορεί να λειτουργήσει τόσο σαν καθαρόαιμος ψυχολογικός τρόμος, όσο και σαν μια παραστατική και ρεαλιστική αποτύπωση της ψυχικής ασθένειας και των τραγικών συνεπειών της για τον άρρωστο. Η όλη ατμόσφαιρα είναι κάπως μαύρη και στα όρια του γοτθικού τρόμου, σίγουρα κρατάει σε εγρήγορση το ...more
Blair
The Horla is a very short psychological horror story about a man who becomes convinced that an invisible being - seemingly ghost-like, but also compared within the narrative to a vampire - is quietly terrorising him, invading his bedroom at night, driving him mad. This creature, 'the Horla', drives him to increasingly irrational and extreme action as he seeks to destroy its hold over him. I saw a lot of parallels between this story and Charlotte Perkins Gilman's The Yellow Wallpaper, published f ...more
Satrina T
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, horror, fiction
A man is haunted by "something" in his room. The Horla is the creepy being tormenting him and there seems to be no way to stop it.

This is one of my favorite stories on this subject.
Ghita Benabbou
"Quand nous sommes seuls, nous peuplons le vide de fantômes."
Shabbeer Hassan
A classic horror tale of an ageless, possibly immortal, invisible, vampire and known as the Horla! The audiobook narration by Dermot Kerrigan added a chilling ambience to this story.

My Rating - 3/5
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I listened to the audio first, and followed up by reading through the print. It would have been a different experience if I'd flipped the two, because once I hit halfway I definitely wanted to "skip to the end." I almost always feel that way about horror stories, though. So much time and energy spent on describing something atmospheric or suspenseful and I just want to get on with it. That may say more about me than about the story.

As horror stories go (this is grouped with ghost stories, but t
Kaoutar  Kad
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entre raison et folie, Maupassant nous fait vraiment entrer dans la tête du héros qui maintient le doute sur l'existence réelle du Horla. Il est primordial de rappeler qu'il a écrit cette nouvelle à une période de sa vie où la folie commencée à l'emporter déjà. Le style d'écriture est captivant, d'une grande originalité.
Latasha
Dina
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yuyu absoluto!
Un loco que no es tal loco.
Luz de gas? No, es El Horla, que es una especie de Dementor pero peor ^_^
Andrew “The Weirdling” Glos
“The Horla” by Guy de Maupassant is an early example of psychological horror and prefigured the weird fiction movement of the 1920s and 1930s in the United States.

A man of science and reason, using those tools, slowly becomes convinced that he is being haunted by some sort of ghost. As the story moves on, the man becomes more and more unstable and unreliable as a narrator. Meanwhile, it also becomes evident that the things which is oppressing him (if it even is real), is not supernatural at all.
Markus
Le Horla
Maupassant (1850 – 1893)
C’est l’histoire d’un homme qui prend note dans son journal intime de l’évolution de sa maladie psychiatrique, il se rend compte qu’il devient fou.
Il nous raconte la peur qui augmente, au jour le jour.
Il s’imagine qu’il a un double de soi, Le Horla, qui fait tout pour remplacer son âme, saine a l’origine, avec l’âme malade.
Pour finir il succombe, mais essaie de prendre son double au piège dans sa maison, qu’il incendie, pour le détruire. Il n’est pas sure que son
Emad Attili
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
description

Maybe Guy de Maupassant is my greatest discovery this year!
loved this story so much!
Cocoon Read
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

|Relecture / Reread - Review only in FR|

Une bonne relecture ! Maupassant parvient avec brio à nous relater la lente descente aux enfers d'un homme (lui ?) vers la folie. L'ambiance est oppressante et l'emploi du "je" ainsi que la forme de journal intime nous met dans la tête du personnage principal. Résultats ? Malaise et questionnement. On veut sortir de "son" corps tout en voulant en savoir plus. Redoutable mais efficace !

+ : nouvelle déstabilisante, style parfaitement maîtrisé (Maupassant en
Kim Vargas
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UUUFF! Me gustó mucho. La forma en que está redactada la novela es increíble, de lenguaje sencillo y es muy fácil de leer; tanto que se puede sentir el terror, la locura y la demencia del personaje principal. ¡¡Recomendada!! :)
Marius
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old-school horror story. It reminds me of 'The Double' by Dostoevsky.
Lessy Galvan
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¡Gran relato! Agobiante, intenso pero breve. Primera vez que leo algo sobre un vampiro energético. Lee mi reseña aquí: https://goo.gl/JRjjwQ
OierQ
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terror psicológico, suspense y una espeluznante reflexión sobre la imperfección humana.
Jimmy Rodríguez
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Desde hace bastante tiempo tenía ganas de leer algo de Maupassant pero no se me había presentado la oportunidad y ahora que pude hacerlo no puedo negar que lo disfruté. Una historia dedicada a la desesperación humana con toques sobrenaturales, que te pone a pensar en qué o quién está detrás de esta extraña situación.
Shawn
Mar 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of one of my favorite stories (this edition has two previous versions Maupassant composed from different points of view, before settling on the final text) - it's interesting how the new understandings opened up by the sciences at the time (19th century - the actual scale of natural processes and our small scope in them and ability to understand them) can be interpreted by some in the culture as positive, while others like de Maupassant ("The Horla"), Ambrose Bierce ("The Damned ...more
Terence
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror, weird
I am a big Guy de Maupassant fan, this was nowhere near what I expected. A haunting, psychological horror story of a descent into madness. Really well done by MHP too with an earlier version and some notes. Just a pleasant surprise.
  • The Nice Old Man and the Pretty Girl
  • The Lemoine Affair
  • The Death of the Author
  • Aucassin et Nicolette
  • Children of the Night: Classic Vampire Stories
  • La confession d'un enfant du siècle
  • The Devil
  • The Pathseeker
  • Green Tea
  • René
  • The Old Nurse's Story
  • Les Caractères
  • The Lesson of the Master
  • The Wind in the Rosebush and Other Stories of the Supernatural
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i ...more
“Certainly solitude is dangerous for active minds. We require around us men who can think and talk. When we are alone for a long time, we people space with phantoms.” 15 likes
“Es evidente que la soledad resulta peligrosa para las mentes que piensan demasiado.” 2 likes