Start by marking “Change Leadership: A Practical Guide to Transforming Our Schools” as Want to Read:
Change Leadership: A Practical Guide to Transforming Our Schools

Change Leadership: A Practical Guide to Transforming Our Schools

The Change Leadership Group at the Harvard School of Education has, through its work with educators, developed a thoughtful approach to the transformation of schools in the face of increasing demands for accountability. This book brings the work of the Change Leadership Group to a broader audience, providing a framework to analyze the work of school change and exercises th ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Change Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Change Leadership

Start your review of Change Leadership: A Practical Guide to Transforming Our Schools
Luca
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
Anybody who is working with education will benefit from reading this book. It is full of information for developing your school or organization. No school is lacking of engaged and good-willing educators. What is important is a strategy to use the effort in an effective way, and that is what the book is about.
Eduardo
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The authors quote a school superintendent with whom they had worked: "we set out to work on our schools, and discovered that, in order to really succeed at it, we had to work on ourselves as well." I strongly recommend committing to sincerely working on the exercises that appear throughout the book. Not only does they help the book be more engaging, they also help one better define and understand the endeavors that are to be undertaken. The title of the book lays it out for the reader, this is a ...more
Maria
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book divided into ten parts which has a gradual movement into the Echology of change and overturning the immunities to change in the 8th and 9th parts. The last part ( 10th) concerns with brief Reflection of the writer to enhance the essential aim of the topics were discussed in the book.

There are many points we can find very special about the book, he reflective quotes about education, life , community-school relation, parenting and socialization... etc. The second is the practical illustr
Rebecca
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Helpful, clear, insightful, hopeful. Gives tools and frameworks to help explain the psychological impact of change and why our responses to it work to slow progress to a crawl. SUPER enlightening.
Jeff
Sep 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
The instructional leadership team at my school has used this book this past year as a tool for exploring our work and the changes we need to make. It has functioned as a powerful mechanism for us to examine where we are as a school and where we are headed. It offers practical advice for creating true learning communities that are aimed at educating all of the our children for our society and economy. At the heart of the book is a dual focus on both the individual changes that adults must make to ...more
Kelley
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: review
I've wanted to read this book for a few years. Sadly, I was quite disappointed with it. While there are some intriguing aspects about different ways to approach change, I was largely unimpressed. The single most interesting concept was discussing how the change leader can actually hinder the change process. Otherwise, this wasn't very interesting or well presented. I even found the anecdotes hard to follow and uninteresting to read about. I missed the boat on this one.
Ryan
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I do not like all of the books I read for graduate school but this one was well-written, well-formatted, and very informative. The author clearly understands the school improvement process and makes allowances for the indiscrete nature of the exigent problems facing schools (I didn't intend to write such a hoity sentence, apologies). But this is a textbook, and as much as textbooks are their own form of fiction, I can't give more than 3 stars - even though it is a great book!
Alabama Best Practices Center
This book is a must for any education leader. It was commissioned by the Gates Foundation and written by faculty from the Harvard Graduate School of Education, led by Tony Wagner. We are using it with our Key Leaders Network and integrating much of what we've learned from this book in other facets of our work. Highly recommended.
Anthony A
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for educational leaders, especially the first chapter, which talks about the "perception gap" between universities and public schools/parents. I thoroughly enjoyed working through the Immunity Map, which made me look at something which I was doing that prevented me from being fully committed to school improvement. Highly recommended.
Christina
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I learned a lot from this book. The 4C's framework for school change is a beneficial model that helped me identify both strengths and areas for growth.
Stephanie Maynard
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I will use this when I begin trying to reinvent Az schools.
Lisa Mueller
Sep 11, 2016
Renee Hawkins
Feb 24, 2010
Peter John U. Lopingco
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2020
Apr 07, 2018
Robert Wiegel
Jan 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How I Was Turned into a Pregnant Girl: (one man’s taboo journey from alpha male to pregnant young beauty – transgender romance)
  • Avengers: Heroes Welcome #1
  • Ghost Hog Free Comic Book Day 2019
  • Free Comic Book Day 2019 (All Ages) (Dark Horse FCBD)
  • Free Comic Book Day: Star Wars
  • Lost at School: Why Our Kids with Behavioral Challenges are Falling Through the Cracks and How We Can Help Them
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
  • You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain
  • How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps
  • Forget Nothing (Galaxy's Edge Series)
  • Black Klansman: Race, Hate, and the Undercover Investigation of a Lifetime
  • The Leader in Me: How Schools and Parents Around the World Are Inspiring Greatness, One Child At a Time
  • Teach Like a Champion 2.0: 62 Techniques That Put Students on the Path to College
  • Who Thought This Was a Good Idea?: And Other Questions You Should Have Answers to When You Work in the White House
  • Dear Martin (Dear Martin, #1)
  • The Unspoken (Ashe Cayne #1)
  • Second Skin
  • Twisted: The Story of Larry Nassar and the Women Who Took Him Down
Tony Wagner recently accepted a position as the first Innovation Education Fellow at the Technology & Entrepreneurship Center at Harvard. Prior to this, he was the founder and co-director of the Change Leadership Group at the Harvard Graduate School of Education for more than a decade.

Tony consults widely to schools, districts, and foundations around the country and internationally. His previous w