Start by marking “The Pirate Bride” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Bride

The Pirate Bride

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  31 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
There is no escape from responsibility...even on vacation.
That doesn't stop 13 year-old Rachel from trying. A day of surfing, away from all five of her younger brothers, is meant to reward Rachel for all of her hard work at home. Instead, it turns into the greatest adventure of her life.
A wipeout catapults Rachel and her surfboard to a strange part of the ocean, far away
Published May 19th 2010 by Outskirts Press

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate Bride

Laura Kreitzer
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is not the normal type of book that I read (this is a children's book), but I came across the description (the word "pirate" might have stuck out . . . maybe) and I knew I wanted to read it! Well, I am glad I contacted that author because the story was delightful.

First, let me start by saying that this book is written by a father/daughter team (the daughter being 11, if I remember correctly). There is also many illustrations throughout the book that were beautifully done. The story is about
Regina
May 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An enchanting story of 13-year old Rachel who inadvertently travels through a time warp while on vacation with her family in the Caribbean and ends up on a lost pirate ship during the early 18th century. Her adventures are engaging and the pirate crew is equally fun. The illustrations give the reader a nice visual, and it's a quick, entertaining read. I read this story for myself--no young kids in my house--and I was thoroughly impressed. Children will have a good time with this one! Highly reco ...more
Karen Germain
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As an adult, I very rarely read children/YA fiction, but after reading “The Pirate Bride,” I will make sure to broaden my horizons. The book is co-authored by father/daughter team Ryan and Anna McKinley. I bought an extra copy of the book for my boyfriend’s nine year old daughter, as I am hoping that the creation of the story will serve as an inspiration to her to follow her own dreams and write more!

I loved that the story had a strong heroine, who uses her mind to solve her problems. She has h
Robert Collins
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This short novel features 13-year-old Rachel. She gets a brief respite from her wild younger brothers while on a vacation in the Caribbean by taking surfing lessons. Towards the end of the day she gets to surf by herself. A mysterious school of fish swim by, and strange wave comes up.

Rachel finds herself in the middle of the ocean. She's picked up by a pirate ship. The crew isn't sure if she's a mermaid (a "pirate bride") come to save them, or a witch who will keep them forever lost. Rachel has
Jason Meuschke
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Pirate Bride is a well written, well developed story of a girl going through a, near twilight zone-esq experience. The author, Ryan McKinley, aided by his then eleven year old daughter, Anna, did a wonderful job of capturing the essence of a adolescent girl in the protagonist, Rachel. I was pleasantly surprised that each time there was a happenstance twist, it was soon followed by a, believable explanation for it with a satisfying, smile inducing ending. In my youth, and actually still today ...more
Lisa Langdale
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My 7 year old daughter and I read this together. It was adorable!
After the first chapter my daughter was hooked! I was beaming because I've been trying to figure out what kind of books will really capture her attention and HOPEFULLY turn her into an avid reader like her mom :) Well I found it! There was adventure, mystery, a bit of suspense, humor, and a nice lesson on family! It's a great book for a kid to read but I enjoyed it too!

This was written by a father/daughter team. How adorable is tha
Theresa
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Honestly this book needs more stars. What a fantastic read! Love it!

Rachel begrudgingly goes on vacation with her parents and five brothers only because she can surf. Wiping out into the water begins a crazy adventure in the Bermuda triangle. Pirates Argh!

The illustrations are gorgeous! I can't say enough about them. On par with some of the greats in Children's literature.
Deborah
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
"The Pirate Bride" is about Rachel who is thirteen is our heroine that gets lost in the sea and is captured by ship of pirates. She learns that in order to get along with the pirates she must take on some responsiblities. A fun read for all. The illustrations are great as well.
Mary Drummond
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-book
Great read for 10-13 year olds.
Ella
Kimberly
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Cute story. :)
Trisha
rated it did not like it
Jul 09, 2014