Start by marking “Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1; The Edge Chronicles #4)” as Want to Read:

Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  11,429 Ratings  ·  693 Reviews
Abandoned at birth in the perilous Deepwoods, Twig Verginix is brought up by a family of woodtrolls. One cold night, Twig does what no woodtroll has ever done before – he strays from the path.

So begins a heart-stopping adventure that will take Twig through a nightmare world of fearsome goblins, bloodthirsty beasts and flesh-eating trees. Can he discover the truth about hi
Kindle Edition
Published December 18th 2008 (first published 1998)

Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, what an entertaining and enjoyable read about adventure, hope and never giving up even in the most dire circumstances.
I don't really know where to start with the story, there is so much going on and you as the reader really feel like you're right there in the adventure with Twig (who is a lovable little character), you follow him through impossible situations that he always manages to get out of because he's so filled with hope and spirit.
This is one of those wild imagination books,
Cindy
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised about this book. Not because of the fact that it was bad. It was actually better then I thought it would be. The thing that surprised me is that this is considered a children's series and the rather disturbing stuff that goes on in here. I did love the fact that there was so many different creatures and adventures going on. Not one problem lasted so long.

I do agree with the person that said they were surprised that the story got wrapped up so neatly with so much random st
Christina
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those series, like the famous Harry Potter, and like the Chrestomanci series of Diana Wynne Jones, that I used to fervently and desperately wish were real. Or rather, that felt so real incredibly real that I simply couldn't believe they weren't. Yes, my 11th birthday was somewhat spoiled with the absence of a letter from Hogwart's, but it's no time to dwell on that.
I remember first reading this aged 11, at a very unhappy time in my childhood, and it was the very best escape into f
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars

Book #1 of the series The Edge Chronicles

I fell in love with Twig. Forever thinking he was a Wood Troll, when he finds out he is not, he starts a journey to find out who he is. Always in fear of the Gloamglozer, Twig navigates the woods full of nasty beasts and man eating trees. He encounters Hover Worms, Slaughterers, the Blood Oak, the Gyle Goblins, Rotsuckers, and Termagant Trogs, among others. Along the way he buddies up with the Banderbear and the Caterbird, who help him when most n
Saeed Mohamadi
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Saeed by: Roya
3 stars for the story and so many characters that beautifully described in so much details, wonderful graphics in the book and 1 star for the ending. It was a good end to the story, finishing first book with an appropriate plot for the main character to be introduced and leaving the reader in a position that they know it's the beginning of a great journey for him . Definitely going to read the next book in this trilogy.
The best thing I enjoyed in this book was the vast numbers of metaphors that
Daley
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, Book 1)

After beginning this book, I figured out that it is actually written for children. At the time, I had no book to read. This book has been on my shelf for a few years. It was given to my partner as a gift and he was never interested in it. So, out of necessity to have something to read, I grabbed it.

I was shocked at how much I liked it. It wasn't incredible, but it was very well written and the story was well thought out. It had a few twists and turns
Arielle Walker
Every time I read this book I remember again how much I absolutely adore everything about it. The Edgeworld, the Deepwoods, the creatures and characters, the gorgeous sketches, the plot - EVERYTHING. I will, at some point, write an actual review but for now I'll just say (like a little kid) IloveitIloveitIloveit IwantitIwantitIwantit!
DNF with Jack Mack
Mythical critters info dumping things about their world that they already know.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles #1), Paul Stewart, Chris Riddell
Mikayla
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every aspect of this book, it was just as enchanting as the first time I read it, and can at least say that it's as good as all the previous books I've read.
Aleshanee
Für Kinder: 4 Sterne

Meine Meinung

Ich bin von dem Buch ein bisschen enttäuscht, weil ich eine völlig andere Erwartung hatte. Das Cover hat mich an die Scheibenweltromane erinnert, dabei hat man es hier mit einem reinen Kinderbuch zu tun. Was jetzt an sich nicht schlimm wäre, aber ich bin mit dem Handlungsablauf nicht so wirklich klargekommen.
Wenn ich das Buch jetzt rein für Kinder bewerten würde, könnte ich 4 Sterne vergeben, aber mir persönlich hat es leider nicht so gefallen.

Im ersten Kapitel h
Karlis
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Autori - Kriss Ridels un Pols Stjuarts - grāmatā ir centušies parādīt, ka brīžiem var atkāpties no ikdienišķās un garlaicīgās grāmatu rakstīšanas, veidojot kādu radošu savu fantāziju un izdomu augli. Grāmata jau kādu laiku bija stāvējusi manas istbas plauktā, līdz beidzot nolēmu to izlasīt. To es nenožēloju nevienu brīdi, jo bija interesanti attālināties no realitātes un pabūt kādā interesantā vietā devētā par Malaszemi.
Piedzīvojums sākas Malazsemē galvenā varoņa - Zarēna audžuvecāku mājā. Mala
Lör K.
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember when I first found this book, nestled away in my local library. I was around 10-11, and my dad pulled it out and said, "Ethan, this one sounds a lot like Harry Potter, why don't you give it a try? You love your fantasy and magical creatures".

Almost reluctantly, I got it out because, really, I didn't want to be reading young adult books when the crime and gore section was right there, but I decided to settle down and give my dad's pick a chance.

Oh. My. Gosh.

I was taken on a whole ne
Tilly
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Middle-grade fantasy books are probably the best way to get out of a reading slump, especially when they are as magical, whimsical and creative like this one. First of all I absolutely loved Chris Riddles illustrations through the whole novel, they were a great way to bring Paul Stewart good description of the creatures to life. I also think that the world-building is great and very detailed, especially for a childrens book. All the different places on the Edge which were described in the beginn ...more
Badiss
May 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a 13 year old Twig who discovers that he was abandoned at birth by a unknown person. Twig goes on a long journey through Deepwoods to try to get back his family. He makes his way through goblins and trogs and beasts who drink blood for fun.

I didnt really like this book, because of it's plot. It's a fairy tail book and I'm not a fan of books of that kind. The only reason why i never put it down was because i was waiting for something good to happen, by the time i realized nothi
Sonja
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book instantly. Maybe even before I started reading it. The cover is way cooler than this pic they have.
The art of the book is so amazing. The map of The Edge is amazing. I want to go there. After the first chapter I could hardly put it down. What an amazing adventure story. Its a kids book-i saw it in the childrens section at the library and was drawn to the fancy cover. It reminds me of Bilbo's adventures in the HObbit but not so hard to read. A very quick easy-fun read. I loved i
Sanaa
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4 Stars] Just as whimsical and enjoyable as the first time I read it.
Steven
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This entire series is well worth a read, even if it takes you a few months (It certainly took me a long time, and I'm a fast reader!).

The series is made up of three trilogies, a book that is basically a one book trilogy, and then another trilogy that is still being written. The trilogies are spread out in time and all focus on a different member of the main family line. I didn't necessarily fall in love with the series because of the story (although the stories are great), I really fell in love
Amy Rijk
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A re-read of a book I used to love when I was around 11 years old. Back then I read this in Dutch and the amazing cover art drew me in from the first moment I set eyes on it at the library.

I have to say I do still love it. While Twig isn't a very active protagonist and events just happen to him instead of him having some agency over it, it does actually tie back in to the story at the end. It makes sense for it to feel more like a guided experience for him.

The world continues to fascinate me an
Brenton
Personal Response: Overall I thought this novel was interesting, it was very creative and well written. The novel was a very easy read and was easy to comprehend. I believe that the novel was full of adventure and had lots of plot twists. There was always more to discover in the deepwoods, while there was still lots of mysterious aspects left unknown. The novel established the main characters troubles along his journey very clearly.

Plot Summary: The plot is always changing throughout the novel,
Chiara
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 Stars
This was a childhood favorite of mine and i recently found the books in my brother's old room again, so I just had to give them a reread. Such a fun story!
Phoebe
After we finished _The Red Pyramid_, I wasn't very good about burning to CD a new audiobook for the big boys and me during our drives to/from school. So the last time we went to a library, I looked for a new book for us to listen to. It was a small, one-room library (yes, one exists in the San Francisco Bay Area!), and the selection of kids' audiobooks took up about two feet of space on a bookshelf. Pickings were slim; over half of the selection was on tape! This title was the only one they were ...more
Anna
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england
Та самая любимая детская серия книг, которую я бы, пожалуй, не стала советовать никому :) Волшебный мир Края, созданный Полом Стюартом и Крисом Ридделом, кажется волшебным лишь на первый взгляд. В нем сосуществуют премилые толстолапы и страшный Хрумхрымс. Воздушные пираты бороздят пространство над Топями, а академики живут на огромном камне Санктафракса, навеки присоединенного к Нижнему Городу. И если в городе, да в келье академиков еще можно попробовать выжить, то Топи или Леса – прямая дорога ...more
M
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
I remember always feeling like this was the weakest of the Edge Chronicles books because the plot is relatively thin. Twig is sent to live with relatives, and instead wanders his way through a bunch of encounters with strange creatures, some benevolent, some determined to kill and eat him (and not necessarily in that order). Eventually he finds Sky Pirates, confronts the Gloamgozer, and is ready to have more adventures in the next book. And upon rereading this for the first time since childhood, ...more
Justyn Rampa
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
Wanting to continue reading fantasy, but desiring a bit lighter fare I settled upon the first book in "The Edge Chronicles". To my utter delight, I loved it. The illustrations by Chris Riddell definitely add to the world that Paul Stewart has created. In fact, I can't imagine one without the other.

As to the story itself, it reminds quite a bit of Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland". Come to find out that as a child, Paul Stewart sites "Alice in Wonderland" and Norman Juster's "Phantom Tollboot
K
Feb 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Alright I admit it, the art was what really caught my attention when I first saw the whole series lined up at the library. My excitement only grew when I read the blurb for a few. Sky pirates, strange creatures, and a new original fantasy world, what's not to like? Unfortunately quite a lot as no matter how much I wanted to love Beyond the Deepwoods and the rest of the Edge Chronicles I ended up barely able to force myself to finish first book.
The main character, Twig, couldn't get much more cli
Gerardo
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first Edge Chronicles novel “Beyond the Deepwoods” is in fact a story that should be considered by many. The ideas that compile the tale are what Riddell’s and Stewart’s imagination is all about; they are original and impressively creative. The magic realms and variety of mythical creatures taking place in the book create an atmosphere, which surely will be enjoyed by any fantasy genre fan.

The main character’s (Twig) unique origins and features offer the reader a good companion to travel th
bookme4life
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a lot happens in this first installment of the Edge Chronicles. It's a journey tale most simply summed up as a search for identity. It kind of reminds me in some ways of the children's book Are You My Mother? where a baby bird asks a cow, a dog, a plane, etc., if they are, well... you get the idea.

The protagonist in this tale, Twig, doesn't fit in with his family and rather against his wishes is sent on a journey where he keeps looking for a place to fit in (or even help just surviving in s
Kristine
Its hard to rate a children's books because while I think they (the Edge Chronicles) deserve the rating that I give, that's not compared to the other books on my shelves.

I read YA most of the time so while I'm waiting for my copy of Cress by Marissa Meyer to arrive (oh the anticipation!) I decided to read the first book of the Edge Chronicles which my younger brother really enjoys. I myself like this world as well though, especially paired with Chris Riddell's beautifully detailed illustrations.
Angie
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Twig doesn't fit in with his woodtroll family. He is very different from everyone else in the village and has a hard life because of that. One day his family decides that he must leave the village and venture out into the Deepwoods. The Deepwoods are filled with all kinds of creatures and dangers but if you stay on the path you should be fine. Of course Twig strays from the path and has one adventure after another. It seems like he gets out of one situation and instantly falls into another. He h ...more
  • Awful End (Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #1)
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • Down the Mysterly River
  • The Thief Queen's Daughter (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #2)
  • The Doomspell (Doomspell, #1)
  • Ottoline Goes to School (Ottoline, #2)
  • Tourist Trap (Edgar & Ellen, #2)
  • The House of Power (Atherton, #1)
  • Ugly Bugs
  • Urchin and the Heartstone (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dragon Prophecy (Dragonology Chronicles, #4)
  • The Relic Hunters (Grey Griffins: The Clockwork Chronicles, #2)
  • Fly by Night (Fly by Night, #1)
  • The Heart of Arcrea (The Arcrean Conquest, #1)
  • Prince of Fools (Sebastian Darke, #1)
  • The Tiger's Egg (The Wednesday Tales, #2)
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
  • Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth
Paul Stewart is a highly regarded author of books for young readers – from picture books to football stories, fantasy and horror. Together with Chris Riddell he is co-creator of the bestselling Edge Chronicles, which has sold more than three million copies and is available in over twenty languages. They have also collaborated together on lots of other exciting books for children of all ages. The F ...more
More about Paul Stewart...

The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga (3 books)
  • The Edge Chronicles 5: Stormchaser: Second Book of Twig
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig

“Normal! He thought. Normal! I don't want things to be normal. Normal is always being left out, never belonging.” 29 likes
“Not different, but special!” 10 likes