Start by marking “The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #43)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #43)

The Mystery of the 99 Steps

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #43)

Nancy must search for a flight of 99 steps to solve the mystery of a friend’s weird dream. Her search leads her to France, but before leaving the United States, a sinister man called Monsieur Neuf warns the young sleuth not to pursue her mission! While in France, Nancy and her father investigate a wealthy financier who has been frightened into selling large amounts of secu ...more
Published 1966 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the 99 Steps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the 99 Steps

Namratha
She is not as finicky as Poirot and nor is she as condescending as Sherlock. But just like her fellow detectives, she has a fine brain under her well-coiffed locks and will always hold a special place in my long-buried girlish heart. When I came across an ancient, dog-eared, much-doodled Nancy Drew mystery at my library, I couldn’t resist picking it up.

In The Mystery of the 99 Steps , Nancy Drew is working on a dual case with her father, eminent lawyer Carson Drew. A lady called Mrs. Josette B
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Mary Lou Hoffman
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I was about 10 or 11, my mother signed me up for a book of the month club. Every month, I received two Nancy Drew or two Hardy Boys books. Every month, they were both read in a week and I was asking when the next book would be there!
I thank my mother for recognizing and encouraging my love of reading.
Laura Ellison
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: niece-book-club, 2015
I enjoyed the fact that Nancy got to go to France with her friends Bess and George and take on some seriously sinister characters, but I'm not sure I really bought the ending of the book. Without giving away spoilers let's just say that from the start you could tell that a financier was being hoodwinked in some way. When that way came to light, I just didn't feel like it was plausible. I mean, if a guy is smart enough to make it take far in business, I don't think he would fall for something tha ...more
Laura Bang
Even if I mostly laugh at the ridiculousness/implausibility of it now, I still love spending an afternoon with the Drew girl.

This one finds Nancy, Mr. Drew, Bess, and George in France and it was especially hilarious to read the occasional sentence or two squeezed in to describe their museum & cultural heritage stops. Like, two sentences for the Louvre, where there were no crowds impeding their view of the Mona Lisa. But mostly they are too busy solving two ridiculous mysteries to be distract
Jerry
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like usual, this series delivers fun and excitement.
Suziey
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carson Drew is in Paris, doing a bit of investigative work. He has been hired by worried friends of Monsieur LeBlanc, a wealthy businessman, to find out why he is selling all his securities and buying diamonds. Mr. Drew needs Nancy’s help so he invites his daughter and her friends on the trip. Which is wonderful for Nancy as she has a mystery of her own to solve. River Heights resident, Mrs. Josette Blair, has suffered a great family misfortune and has been recently plagued by nightmares. All sh ...more
Story_Girl
This time Nancy Drew's case takes her to Paris. But it all begins back in River Heights. Isn't it funny how many bad people are running around that town? And how often they're part of some kind of international gang?
Nancy's father asks her to help him discover why a wealthy client is suddenly selling all his stocks and investments, making other investor's nervous, not to mention his employees. And while she's in the country, she will try to discover what childhood event might be causing the nigh
Theresa
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I grew up reading and collecting the yellow bound 1970s versions of this series. A lot of them were lost through the years so I’ve slowly recollecting been them and recently was able to get 7 more giving me now 42 of them. This I one of them.

This time Nancy needs to go to France to chase down a mystery involving a strange dream. Her father is already there and send for the three girls to help him out with a case.

It gets very complicated with aliases, chemical codes and there’s almost too much F
Terrie
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book for a challenge I am part of. The 16,000 challenge. So fun. This book was published when I was 16 years old so it qualifies for #11 on that challenge.

Here's what I liked. I would never have read a Nancy Drew book now. And I did and it was so fun to look at it from a way way way adult age. It brought back the memories of how I loved them and borrowed them from friends.

I like YA books now but there is a huge difference in the writing and plots -- at least with the ones I have rea
Luella
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Carolyn Keene wrote the famous Nancy Drew series and the Dana Girls Mystery. The Nancy Drew books were written approximately in the 1950’s. However they are still continued to this day by numerous ghost authors who still use the pen name Carolyn Keene. Nancy Drew must search for a staircase with 99 steps captured in a vivid dream a friend has had her whole life. The mystery leading to France, while leaving the US, she encounters a mystery man named Monsieur Neuf warning her of her travels. After ...more
Denise Villarreal
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How did I miss this series when I was growing up. This is the first of the Nancy Drew books I have ever read and I think I would enjoy more. I like how the girls fit sightseeing and proper behavior as far as being good guests and eating at reasonable times and such into their sleuthing endeavors. I also enjoyed the use of French, famous locales, and persistent action and intrigue to move the story along. I really wish I had found this series in middle school. Highly recommend for young readers a ...more
Daniell Marsh
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago as a kid. Interesting the different take that you make on books from reading as a child to an adult. Still a good mystery and a fun read. I found it some things that when read it before that I question now. Like how they portray George in the book. A good , clean, fun book.
Sydney
This book was very bizarre... I'm still not entirely sure what the mystery was. Something about France, offensive racial slurs, another car malfunction, and of course... 99 steps. Hopefully the next installment will be more like the rest of the series. This one was unfortunate.
Amanda
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the worst in the series i read so far. I think i was just expecting too much. Being set in France you expect the story-line to be more exciting and location based. This story-line could have taken place anywhere. It would have been nice to have something more geographical.
Melissa Namba
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
my niece is very much into Nancy drew. this particular book is great for the introductory walk through of Paris. it creates a simple tour for kids without over doing it, while giving a brief description of some historical moments.
Kari
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kidnappings, threatening notes, cut brake lines, near drownings, burglary, drugged dogs, foreign countries, stalking… Nancy Drew is a badass lol!!
IrishFan
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one of the better mysteries. Although it seems like it all falls in place easily for her, I remember this one from a long time ago.
Christine Lalonde
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My all time favourite Nancy Drew.
Llamarae
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Great read.
Joan Bryant
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Not the best Nancy Drew mystery, but still enjoyable.
Shreyaaa
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The book was quite good. A satisfaction to my girlish drama heart though there were unbelievable escapes which was hard to digest but then again, it was interesting enough to not put it down.
Stephen Winchell
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Minor spoilers ahead.

In reading old children's mystery/action/suspense books, I'm finding myself running into many similar "types". There's the supportive parent (usually the father), the comic relief, working class family member (a housekeeper, a cook, etc), etc etc etc. Out of the three big titles I've been reading (Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and Tom Swift Jr), Nancy Drew has these types down to a science, and this book really highlights the weaknesses of writing with them.

We'll start with George
Lady Knight
I loved the Nancy Drew books as a kid. I voraciously read every one I could get my hands on. Reading this now, I'm struck by several things (some of which other reviewers have also pointed out):

1. The stereotypical characters
Every character is a 'type' to a tee. We've got the perfect one, the uber supportive parent, the impulsive tomboy, the part-of-the-family hired help, the fat friend, etc. When you're a kid you may not notice it, but as an adult you keep looking for flaws beyond the obvious a
Vintagebooklvr
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
What I always find funny in these stories are criminals who are so afraid of teenage detectives (Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew) that they send someone across the ocean to try to stop them from coming to investigate. It would make more sense if they did something to try to frighten Nancy when she is in their country and making trouble for them. Why give a detective anything to work with. I also don't buy that most criminals would be afraid of a teenager detective.

Specifically to this book, the use of
Jocelyn
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Mystery of the 99 Steps is about Nancy Drew, Carson Drew (her father), and George (or Georgia) and Bess (best friends).

Nancy hears about a dream from a woman who lives in River Heights and goes to France with her best friends. While Nancy is searching for 99 steps from her friends dream she notices that one of the people she sees at a party is actually a man in disguise.

Nancy tries to figure out who the man is but can't figure out more than the fact that he has a twin brother in River Heig
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it
The story involves the ancient practice of alchemy, and the equally ancient practice of cheating people out of their money. In this case Nancy, George and Bess go to France to work with Mr. Drew who is trying to convince a financier to stop selling all his assets.

A woman Nancy knows has nightmares of falling down a long flight of stairs. As happens every so often, someone tries to stop Nancy from going to France by sending her a message. Even once in France someone tries to stop her and seems q
Phe
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Mystery of the 99 Steps is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 43rd book in the Nancy Drew series.

Despite warnings from a stranger, eighteen-year-old Nancy Drew and her friends set out for France to search for a flight of 99 steps that may help solve the mystery of a friend's strange dream and a possible case of blackmail.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was
Brenda
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the other books I have read and the main reason for it would be tag-along helpers known as George and Bess. I mean I am all for her getting help from time to time, but the extra girls just ruined it for me, I mean they really served no purpose and slowed Nancy down.
This book starts with a dream from some lady, who is having nightmares about 99 steps, so Nancy believes finding these steps will help the lady stop having the dream. Only thing is, Nancy will have
Melanie
Nancy et ses amies vont a la France! And bien sur, they all speak French, because who doesn't? They go because some neighbor of Nancy's has a DREAM about 99 steps and so of course she freaks out and has Nancy go and investigate. I have recurrent dreams about the inability to open combination locks. Please help me, Nancy.

Anyway, Carson is helping a totally different client with an actual case in Paris at the same time, but apparently it has to do with this woman's dream. Creepy. And there are twi
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Secret of Wildcat Swamp (The Hardy Boys, #31)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of Whispering Witch (Trixie Belden, #32)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
“There was only one sentence in it. ‘Tell no one about the 99 steps. Monsieur Neuf’!” 0 likes
“On a hunch she asked whose signature Claude Aubert had forged. The group was astounded to learn it was that of Charles Leblanc! The “frightened financier”!” 0 likes