Start by marking “Do Over Dogs: Give Your Dog A Second Chance For A First Class Life (Dogwise Training Manual)” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Adoptees, rescues and dogs that just wandered into your life all need, and deserve, another chance at life. Even if you've had the dog for years and has "issues"this is your roadmap for success! Learn positive training and management techniques.
Published June 25th 2010 by Dogwise Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Do Over Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Over Dogs

AnnieM
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a great read! A must for anyone who has a rescue dog that poses so tricky traits. My boxer/pit bull cross has a fear of loud noises, men, cars, trucks and much, much more. We are making great headway, but weather and travel have stymied our dog obedience classes.

I have read the Dog Whisperer books and they are good, but often he doesn't address some of the same issues I'm facing. I found this book very attainable and readable. After a short time trying to integrate some ideas I have seen
Chris
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pat Miller doesn't shy away from what makes "Do Over Dogs" so difficult to work with but easy to love. Her philosophy of positive behavior therapy is present throughout the book. What I loved was the actual tips on how to work with or train a do-over dog. I also loved how the book ended with people sharing their own experiences with rescue dogs, because after reading the book and struggling with my own new addition, I really needed that hope. Everything will turn out okay if I just keep working ...more
Alyson
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As usual, Pat Miller delivers amazing insights in this book. Pat's training methods (socialization, clicker training and positive reinforcement) are tried and true - on malleable puppies and dogs with unfortunate pasts.
Alex
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: animal-behavior
A comprehensive overview of the most common problems encountered with "do-over" shelter dogs. Every issue mentioned was given a brief overview of potential solutions without being bogged down with intricate protocols.

A good read for a new trainer or an owner who is maybe for the first time experiencing a dog with "issues".

My favorite part with the brief discussion on genetically predisposed OCD behaviors in certain breeds as well as the then and now stories/testimonials highlighting the progre
Mary Nelsen
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pat Miller's contributions to the field of positive dog training have always been leading edge and extremely helpful to dog guardians. Do Over Dogs is no exception but especially timely for the many folks who are rescuing and adopting, now. Have to add very quickly that this book will also be helpful to someone who needs to rehabilitate some behaviors in their long term dog which could still be problematic. The ideal reader would be someone contemplating adoption as the suggestions for handling ...more
Kristin
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
For those of us who have adopted dogs from the shelter or other rescue organizations, this book gives a detailed and honest look at some of the problems you might face. There is also a ton of useful information, practical advice and training tips. My favorite part, though, was all of the stories of real "do over" dogs at the end. I had to get out the box of Kleenex!
Peg Thon
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the way Pat Miller thinks and I love the fact that she never gives up. Just with I had read this before I botched up a rescue by introducing her into the house the wrong way. Well, you live and learn and thanks to this book, I will be much better prepared!
Rescue Me!
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rescue-me
Noted dog trainer Pat Miller shares many great tips for training a "do-over dog" - a dog that's been rescued, found as a stray, or has developed behavior problems.
Lisa Eirene
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book. I skimmed and hit the highlights because it was a library book and I think it's worth buying!
elisabeth rutman
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mine!: A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding in Dogs
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
  • Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
  • Love Has No Age Limit: Welcoming an Adopted Dog Into Your Home
  • How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Bonding with Your Dog: A Trainer's Secrets for Building a Better Relationship
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • Scaredy Dog: Understanding and Rehabilitating Your Reactive Dog
  • When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs
  • Help For Your Fearful Dog: A Step By Step Guide To Helping Your Dog Conquer His Fears

Nonfiction Deals

• Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Sex Object
    $9.74 $2.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $3.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Pukka: The Pup After Merle
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here For?
    $9.99 $2.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Six Degrees: Our Future on a Hotter Planet