Start by marking “The Mystery of the Fire Dragon (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #38)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Fire Dragon (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #38)

The Mystery of the Fire Dragon

(Nancy Drew #38)

Eloise Drew asks her niece to investigate the disappearance of her neighbor, a young university student. In New York, Nancy, Bess and George are drawn into the intrigue and danger of a smuggling ring. Nancy plans a clever ruse: George is disguised as the missing Chinese girl! The girl detective is also suspicious of an unpleasant bookstore owner and his loud, overbearing f ...more
Published 1961 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Fire Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Fire Dragon

Jessaka
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew, mysteries
Most reviewers on here and on Amazon really loved this book; I didn’t. It didn’t read like an old Nancy Drew mystery, at least not one where they are finding secrets in an old attic, or believe that there are ghosts in an old mansion, or see shadows in the night. It also wasn’t written by Mildred Wirt Benson, who wrote many of the Nancy Drew books that I loved. And why can’t I find out who really wrote this one? Also, what is Ned Nickerson doing living in Hong Kong. My, this series has changed, ...more
Connie N.
This is the first Nancy Drew book I've read as an adult, and I enjoyed it very much. The writing is fast-paced and interesting, and the mystery was entertaining. I was impressed with Keene's ability to make the mystery somewhat believable (certainly on a YA level), but it was amusing to read that the police went all-out to help Nancy solve the crime, even calling her with updates and allowing her to join them on searches and tails of suspects. There were an amazing amount of details that were si ...more
Whitney
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
The main character, aside from Nancy, does not appear in this book except by recollections told by her family and friends. She is perhaps kidnapped! Her name is Chi Che and she lives with her grandfather in New York City.

Nancy and her gal pals Bess and George visit Nancy's Aunt Eloise, who lives in the city, and who happens to be the next-door neighbor in an apartment building with Chi Che and her author grandfather.

And so it seems that George, who is limber with short, dark hair, somehow resem
Jerry
May 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Good: Nancy Drew is one of the most beloved and well-known literary characters, so, you'd expect this book to be great...and it is! A seemingly unsolvable whodunit leads the famed teenage sleuth to two different corners of the globe. Will she be able to track down the culprits? (If you've read these books before, the answer is obvious.) Like a good television series, this is one where every episode keeps my interest.

The Bad: Nothing, really; it just wasn't spectacular.

Content Concerns:
Sex:
N
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great addition to the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
Caleb
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This mystery was very good, Nancy's aunt is suspicious when her neighbor disappears without a trace and calls Nancy to investigate the matter. Nancy two best friends Bess and George come along to help and they eventually travel to Hong Kong following clues where they meet up with another friend to try to crack the case.
Melanie
Ned Nickerson is studying Chinese culture? Since when? Since The Leaning Chimney book?
Aunt Eloise(!) in NYC has a Chinese-themed mystery (nothing AT ALL to do with a Fire Dragon, though there are fireworks and a few references to dragons as Chinese legend) which conveniently leads Nancy and B&G to Hong Kong, where they were planning on going anyway. Not sure exactly who is paying for this but it sounds like Aunt Eloise picked up the tab. George masquerades as a Chinese girl, but apparently n
A.
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-the-girls
To be honest, I just read a whole bunch of Nancy Drew books, and I don't actually remember which one it was in, but so many of them had similar content that I'll just put it here: Why can't they be nicer to Bess? There were so many times when they actually told her to stop eating so much or she'd never have a man fall in love with her. Or that she was too fat, at which statement every one laughed, Bess blushed, and put down her cookie, and everyone acted like that was an ok way for friends to ac ...more
Becket
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun read! It's been a while since I've read one of this series, and I enjoyed the experience. Easy, fluffy, happy story that makes me wish I lived in a world where I could feel safe & secure about running around on my own while solving mysteries and exploring foreign countries -- knowing that even if you do get into trouble, you'll always discover a clever way of escape or will be rescued by vigilant friends! But the best part of reading this 182 page story is I finished it in less than a we ...more
Mskychick
Placeholder for reread of Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews
Hans
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Moving for the first time in over a decade and some of our books are not making the move. My wife decided that she did not need to hold onto a random pair of old Nancy Drew books. I never picked one of these up, so decided to give them a try before they ended up in a little free library.

And this is probably not the best book to start with. The characters feel relatively timeless, but the book is very dated. The biggest issue is the mid-century approach to life outside of the Western countries,
Aubrey Joy
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Just a typical Nancy Drew mystery. In a good way. :)

I love Nancy Drew, and I have ever since I read my first ones SUPER out of order back in middle school. I think I just wanted to read them in the order they were on the shelf, which for some reason wasn’t in series order, but I remember starting with 40-something lol.

The Mystery of the Fire Dragon follows Nancy, Bess, and George as they help Nancy’s aunt and her Chinese neighbors to find the girl Chi Che. Chi Che is the niece of Aunt Eloise’s n
Kira Nerys
I'm reading this as some kind of faux-nostalgic venture, which I do with Nancy Drew every once in a while. A few chapters in, I always remember that I don't really like her. My biggest association with her character--aside from that stupid late-2000s film--is this dig from Inside the Shadow City:
"So you're a detective now?" I teased Kiki once we were inside the creaking elevator. "Like Nancy Drew?"
"Nancy Drew was just an amateur," Kiki sniffed, as if insulted by the comparison. "I'm the real th
Carol
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
it was really good but i thought it was the last book. I guess not..
Mallory G.
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For my goodreads I read The Mystery of the Fire Dragon. This book was a thrilling mystery about a Chinese girl named Chi Che Soong, who was kidnapped. As the story continues,Nancy Drew, George Fayne, and Bess Marvin were staying with her Aunt Eloise in her apartment. Chi Che and her grandfather lived next door to them.
One night, a man came into the Soong’s apartment,and as he shoved Grandpa Soong to the ground, the man stole his manuscript and left. Grandpa Soong at this point, had to be chec
Tabi34
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
Think 1950s when you read this book, although it was written in 1960. So much of the material is dated. Nancy is busy tracking down a kidnapped girl and her journeys take her to Hong Kong. When this book was written, Hong Kong was still part of the British Empire. Ned, who is studying there, gives the girls a quick lesson in the history of politics there. Some of the language is dated - meaning it isn't politically correct today.

What amazes me is the language with which these books are written.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a rather complex story that covers the ground from River Heights all the way to Hong Kong when it was still a British colony.

Ned is in Hong Kong studying. Aunt Eloise calls from New York and says she needs Nancy's help in order to help a Chinese couple named Soong. Mr. Soong's granddaughter, Chi Che, has been kidnapped.

Meanwhile Nancy's father says he's going to need to go to Hong Kong to work on a case involving a will.

Nancy, Bess and George go to New York and almost immediately run in
kate
A problematic read for me.

On one hand, reading The Mystery of the Fire Dragon brought me immediately back to fifth grade, when on Saturdays my parents would go to Costco, and I would be allowed to pick out a set of three new-to-me Nancy Drew novels. The yellow spines still make me smile to this day. I also have no recollection of reading The Mystery of the Fire Dragon, so it was a new mystery!

George, Bess, Mr. Drew, Nancy, even Ned Nickerson and Mrs. Hannah Gruen all were involved.

What really a
Diane
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
A nostalgic read for the PopSugar 2017 challenge, this book is in a series I devoured when I was in elementary school. So old-fashioned now...I guess I'm getting old as this was written more than 50 years ago! So much of it was unbelievable to me now...how everyone from her Aunt to the police encouraged Nancy Drew to take it upon herself to solve serious crimes--and who exactly is paying for all the dinners out, airfares to Hong Kong and hotels, taxis and helicopter rentals? Well, it never bothe ...more
Anna
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this exciting Nancy Drew mystery, Nancy arrives in New York to meet her Aunt, to discover the Miss Drew's neighbor Chi Che, is missing. Although a note from the girl says she is visiting, another note from Chi Che slipped under Aunt Eloise's door leads Nancy to believe that Chi Che s being held against her will. Join Nancy Drew as she solves "The Mystery of The Fire Dragon." This was a very enjoyable story, except for one small fact. Chi Che could have been any where in the world, and Nancy g ...more
LuAnn
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh my, some people take these books too seriously in the reviews! They are mystery stories for kids, this one written in 1961, so of course it's dated and such! That's part of the fun, before Hong Kong and it's people started to look and act like all other large cities in the world. It's a typical, face-paced Nancy Drew Mystery with whirl-wind trips to New York City and Hong Kong, a used bookstore, a great masquerade by George as a young Chinese woman, not once but twice and a rescue by the Flee ...more
Ak
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Nancy drew has really gotten me into reading and stuff so, I owe it to Carolyn Keene. She did an amazing job creating the story, the characters, everything. I think she did an exceptional job on the mystery part because it really makes you think. They make you want to keep reading it.

The character, nancy. I'd always thought she was so cool. I meal who else runs around solving mysteries? She was nice, smart and a great role model. I have to say, I love nancy drew, I alw
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Kathleen
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was reminded of this book while discussing my brother-in-law's trip to Hong Kong today. And by reminded, I mean that as soon as Laurie finished telling us Matthew's description of transportation in Hong Kong, my aunt said "Everything I know about Hong Kong I learned..." and we finished in unison and with great glee, "...from Nancy Drew!" And the Nancy Drew descriptions really did match what Laurie had been telling us.

I haven't read it in many, many years, but obviously it was memorable. :-)
Cat.
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I haven't read a Nancy Drew Mystery in years, and this was just as fun as I remember...allowing for a lot of shuddering over the total non-PC-ness of the story. Nancy Drew goes to New York City, takes Chinatown by storm, flies to Hong Kong and solves a mystery for the police and, presumably, US Customs. Fun, and really silly.
Connie
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this Nancy Drew in particular while thinking about my niece finishing up her year of study abroad in China. It's true that a lot of the stereotypes and terms used are now considered politically incorrect, but that's what happens when time moves on. Anyway, I enjoyed this particular mystery in my summer of satisfying sleuthing stories.
Susan
Ha ha another classic Nancy Drew mystery. Nancy is kidnapped twice and knocked out once. Ned uses the Navy to rescue her lol. You can definitely tell this was written in a different era. There were definitely some wince inducing parts.
Miri
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Nancy Visits her Aunt Eloise in New York to help her solve the mystery behind the disappearance of her neighbors granddaughter Chi Che Soong. Nancy soon believes Chi Che was kidnapped and is being held prisoner by smugglers!
Joy Gerbode
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Another fun and quick read, typical Nancy Drew, getting into one dangerous situation after another and never learning her lesson ... but always "getting her man" in the end. Some fun along the way, and a little Chinese history in this one.
Stacey
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
Pretty good book. I like the history lesson that comes with the books. You get a bit of what it was like in the time period the book was written. for instance it mentions the new state capitol of Alaska...Juneau. Was Juno really spelled the French way?
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)