Start by marking “The Haunted Showboat (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #35)” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Showboat (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #35)

The Haunted Showboat

(Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #35)

Nancy, Bess and George visit New Orleans for Mardi Gras. While on vacation for the festivities, the three friends become involved with pirates, ghosts, and investigating an old showboat, rumored to be haunted, that must be restored in time for the gala celebrations. This book is the original text. A revised text does not exist.
Published 1957 by Grosset & Dunlap

Carol
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I came across The Haunted Showboat (Book #35) in near mint condition at a local antique show this past fall and decided it was time to read my very first Nancy Drew mystery. Published in 1957 and stamp-marked 2.95 (no dollar sign) on the back cover, I gladly paid my $10.

Anyway, in this case, our young sleuth is summoned to travel to New Orleans to solve the mystery of why someone is sabotaging the rehab of an old storm damaged showboat. The story starts out like gangbusters with auto theft and c

Whitney
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nancy-drew
It could have been so much better. The "Showboat" was not haunted, and neither was there a Show on it!!!

We do see Nancy, Bess, and George going to visit Bess's cousin who lives in Louisiana. The cousin had previously been sweet and nice, and engaged to a nice fellow. But suddenly the cousin has tossed aside the nice fellow, and now she has gotten herself entangled in another engagement with an outsider! And this fiance number two seems to have a phony accent!

A weird moment occurs when the brain
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great novel in the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
kenzie
Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
as the kids say nowadays: big yikes
Roland Millsaps
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Melanie
Nancy takes another trip to New Orleans (like in Blackwood Hall, maybe?) to stay with another cousin of Bess n George. They are a retired colonel and his wife and 20-year-old daughter, and they have house slaves named Mammy and Pappy. The daughter's fiance is besotted by Nancy and he's totally a dubious character from the outset.

Nancy's car is stolen in the first chapter, and her father immediately buys a replacement which is sabotaged before she even leaves town. Then she nearly drives the seco
Linda
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My book is the original 1957 printing of this title. This is a classic Nancy Drew mystery. While I enjoyed re-reading it very much, I think perhaps my tastes have become jaded over the years. Perhaps once I would have given the book 5 stars but after all, this is a simple mystery of the era in which it was written and can't compete with the more complex books written for young adults today. On the other hand, I could not give it less than 4 stars so 4 it is.

Nancy and her chums travel by car to
Michael
well now I have read a classic nancy drew. I do not have to read any more.
Brianna D
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this book “The Haunted Showboat” from the Nancy Drew series ,and authored by Carolyn Keene, Nancy is invited to go with her cousins, George and Bess, to New Orleans to solve a mystery and also have some fun at the “ Mardi Gras Parade.” Nancy learns new and exciting things that lead up to her solving the mystery. This book always interests me and I always love when I have the free time during school to read this book. At the end and beginning of every chapter you are either learning some new o ...more
Bev
The Haunted Showboat (1957) finds Nancy invited to New Orleans at Mardi Gras time. Bess & George's uncle had planned to move and restore the River Princess, an old river showboat that's been abandoned in the swamp. He wants the boat in good order in time for a gala celebration--a costume ball to celebrate the engagement of his daughter Donna Mae to Oxford graduate Alex Upgrove. There are just a few problems....the boat is rumored to be haunted; no one is willing to move the boat; and every t ...more
Melanie
I discovered the Nancy Drew books when I was about 10 years old, and from the moment I picked up the first book I was hooked.

32 years on, I have just started to read them all over again!
In fact I probably only ever read about 10-12 of the original ones, out of over 70 books, so am really looking forwards to reading some of the ones I never got around to reading.

Whilst I find them very predictable these days, I have to say I still really enjoy them. They are easy reading material, and you can eas
Brayden
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carolyn Keene is one of my favorite authors because she writes about mysteries and I like stuff that involves mysteries. The book "The Haunted Showboat" is a good book because it talks about a bunch of friends that go on this trip and have some weird encounters.

The friends are all starting their trip at home and then their car that they were taking on their trip got stolen. The friends continued their trip by just using another car that somebody had gave them. They were on their way to New Orle
Suziey
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy is invited by Bess and George to spend Mardi Gras in New Orleans with their aunt, uncle and cousin. The uncle, is especially eager to have Nancy get to the bottom of the mysterious incidents occurring on an old showboat he is restoring.

From the beginning, the trip was riddled with problems. First, Nancy’s car is stolen. But it all works out when her dad buys her a new one. Then someone places a bomb in the new car and later damages the exterior when the bomb is disarmed. Once in New Orlean
Julia
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite independent bookstore, Octavia Books, mentioned "The Haunted Showboat" during Mardi Gras in an Instagram post. I had to buy it because I miss living in New Orleans. And how did I not know that Nancy Drew went to the Mardi Gras?? As I get older, I feel increasingly nostalgic about my childhood. I loved Nancy Drew then and still do today, though some of my mild criticisms of it as an adult were things I found mesmerizing or delightful as a suburban pre-teen.

The language is a bit dated,
Alex
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nancy's car is stolen right out of her garage, her dad buys her a brand new one (because of course he does), and then a bomb is planted in the new car - and all this within the first two chapters!

This was much more action-packed than usual, which made it a lot of fun to read. Uncle Rufus' "dialect" was uncomfortable to read, however, but I have to keep reminding myself that these were published such a long time ago in a different world.

I always laugh when the criminals immediately confess every
Ava
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book was a fun action packed Nancy Drew adventure! Nancy, Bess, and George encounter trouble before even leaving for the mystery in New Orleans. The description of African Americans in this book is something that might be needed to explain to a younger audience. However, the book depicts how pleasant relationships would have taken place in the South during the 50s. Nancy's teamwork, friendship, smarts, and determination is shown throughout the story.
Carleen
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
They took too much time to get to the haunted showboat and her enemy was out to get her way back in River Heights which made no sense what-so-ever since the story is supposed to take place in New Orleans.
Kevin
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm feeling a bit generous in giving this book 4 stars as it is the book I usually recognize as the beginning of "perfect Nancy." I was pleasantly surprised that I like the book as an adult more than I thought I would, though I tired of the stolen car parts of the book.
Thing 2
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like it and was so engrossed in it I could hardly put it down! But then, I can hardly put down any Nancy Drew book! :D
IrishFan
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This one was vaguely familiar to me, another enjoyable tale.
Alicia 🌻
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it

This book had a lot of action, which I always appreciate. The culprit was pretty obvious, but overall I enjoyed the book.
Kim
May 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not as good as i remember, unfortunately. Still kind of enjoyable in a reminiscent way
Andrea Turner
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-mystery
A nice short read. These are always nice when I need a break from today's reality.
MysteryReaderLee
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was a good Nancy Drew book, it wasn't my favorite, but it was good!
Abigail
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: work-books
This one made me the most uncomfortable—so much “1950’s-acceptable” racism and sexism. I felt icky.
pinknantucket
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh dear well Nancy Drew didn't live up to my childhood memories. Or rather she did, but as an adult I can see what an insufferable busybody she really is. And even I, a the whitest of white people who grew up on snowwhite heroines like Nancy Drew, just kept thinking "white privilege!!" through the whole thing. Though, not even most white people would get the immediate respect and attention from the police as Nancy commands—the cops are BUSY, Nancy.

There are a few black characters, one of whom p
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Haunted Showboat is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 35th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew and her friends travel to New Orleans where they are asked to solve a mystery on the "River Princess." Is there really hidden pirate gold on the boat and how does it affect Donna Mae's engagement?

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our
Kelsey
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the book, Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene The Haunted Shadow boat talks about teenager loves mysteries, sleuthing, and solving mysteries. I think this will be a great book for the people that are fans of mystery. She and her two cousins, Bess and George all three take a road trip to New Orleans, but no all for fun, there has been funky and creepy stuff going on, a shadow boat Nancy drew and her two cousins are here to solve it. I think this book is great for people who like mysteries and finding ...more
Tabi34
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
The series has definitely taken a turn for the more sinister. Nancy and her friends are on their way to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and a mystery. But first Nancy's car is stolen and then they find a bomb and finally, they find a part has been tampered with and the rear axle is about to fall off.

Once again, Nancy and her BFF go after a bad guy who is engaged to Bess and George's cousin. This is the girl's second fiance. She broke her first engagement to hook up with this guy. Fickle girl. The sl
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Wailing Siren Mystery (Hardy Boys, #30)
  • The Mystery of the Midnight Marauder (Trixie Belden, #30)
  • The Mysterious Visitor (Trixie Belden, #4)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew Mystery Stories (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)