Start by marking “The Haunted Showboat (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #35)” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Showboat (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #35)

The Haunted Showboat (Nancy Drew #35)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  4,600 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Nancy, Bess and George visit New Orleans for Mardi Gras. While on vacation for the festivities, the three friends become involved with pirates, ghosts, and investigating an old showboat, rumored to be haunted, that must be restored in time for the gala celebrations. This book is the original text. A revised text does not exist.
Published 1957 by Grosset & Dunlap

Carol
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I came across The Haunted Showboat (Book #35) in near mint condition at a local antique show this past fall and decided it was time to read my very first Nancy Drew mystery. Published in 1957 and stamp-marked 2.95 (no dollar sign) on the back cover, I gladly paid my $10.

Anyway, in this case, our young sleuth is summoned to travel to New Orleans to solve the mystery of why someone is sabotaging the rehab of an old storm damaged showboat. The story starts out like gangbusters with auto theft and c

Jerry
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not that great.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yet another great novel in the Nancy Drew mystery book series.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Linda
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My book is the original 1957 printing of this title. This is a classic Nancy Drew mystery. While I enjoyed re-reading it very much, I think perhaps my tastes have become jaded over the years. Perhaps once I would have given the book 5 stars but after all, this is a simple mystery of the era in which it was written and can't compete with the more complex books written for young adults today. On the other hand, I could not give it less than 4 stars so 4 it is.

Nancy and her chums travel by car to
the gift
well now I have read a classic nancy drew. I do not have to read any more.
Brayden
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Carolyn Keene is one of my favorite authors because she writes about mysteries and I like stuff that involves mysteries. The book "The Haunted Showboat" is a good book because it talks about a bunch of friends that go on this trip and have some weird encounters.

The friends are all starting their trip at home and then their car that they were taking on their trip got stolen. The friends continued their trip by just using another car that somebody had gave them. They were on their way to New Orle
Julia
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite independent bookstore, Octavia Books, mentioned "The Haunted Showboat" during Mardi Gras in an Instagram post. I had to buy it because I miss living in New Orleans. And how did I not know that Nancy Drew went to the Mardi Gras?? As I get older, I feel increasingly nostalgic about my childhood. I loved Nancy Drew then and still do today, though some of my mild criticisms of it as an adult were things I found mesmerizing or delightful as a suburban pre-teen.

The language is a bit dated,
Ava Eder
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book was a fun action packed Nancy Drew adventure! Nancy, Bess, and George encounter trouble before even leaving for the mystery in New Orleans. The description of African Americans in this book is something that might be needed to explain to a younger audience. However, the book depicts how pleasant relationships would have taken place in the South during the 50s. Nancy's teamwork, friendship, smarts, and determination is shown throughout the story.
IrishFan
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This one was vaguely familiar to me, another enjoyable tale.
pinknantucket
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Oh dear well Nancy Drew didn't live up to my childhood memories. Or rather she did, but as an adult I can see what an insufferable busybody she really is. And even I, a the whitest of white people who grew up on snowwhite heroines like Nancy Drew, just kept thinking "white privilege!!" through the whole thing. Though, not even most white people would get the immediate respect and attention from the police as Nancy commands—the cops are BUSY, Nancy.

There are a few black characters, one of whom p
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Haunted Showboat is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 35th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew and her friends travel to New Orleans where they are asked to solve a mystery on the "River Princess." Is there really hidden pirate gold on the boat and how does it affect Donna Mae's engagement?

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our
Melanie
Nancy takes another trip to New Orleans (like in Blackwood Hall, maybe?) to stay with another cousin of Bess n George. They are a retired colonel and his wife and 20-year-old daughter, and they have house slaves named Mammy and Pappy. The daughter's fiance is besotted by Nancy and he's totally a dubious character from the outset.

Nancy's car is stolen in the first chapter, and her father immediately buys a replacement which is sabotaged before she even leaves town. Then she nearly drives the seco
Tabi34
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew
The series has definitely taken a turn for the more sinister. Nancy and her friends are on their way to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and a mystery. But first Nancy's car is stolen and then they find a bomb and finally, they find a part has been tampered with and the rear axle is about to fall off.

Once again, Nancy and her BFF go after a bad guy who is engaged to Bess and George's cousin. This is the girl's second fiance. She broke her first engagement to hook up with this guy. Fickle girl. The sl
Kelsey
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the book, Nancy Drew by Carolyn Keene The Haunted Shadow boat talks about teenager loves mysteries, sleuthing, and solving mysteries. I think this will be a great book for the people that are fans of mystery. She and her two cousins, Bess and George all three take a road trip to New Orleans, but no all for fun, there has been funky and creepy stuff going on, a shadow boat Nancy drew and her two cousins are here to solve it. I think this book is great for people who like mysteries and finding ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nancy, Bess and George go to New Orleans for Mardi Gras. they meet a woman named Donna Mae. The woman had been engaged to a man named Charles, but she dropped him for another man named Alex.

There's an old riverboat involved, along with two greedy and nasty thugs who are after hidden treasure. There's a good bit in the book about Mardi Gras and the swamp and the people who live there, and some about voodoo. There's also a maid named Mammy Matilda and a butler named Pappy Cole.

Nancy's car is stol
Connie N.
I'm enjoying walking down memory lane by re-reading Nancy Drew. She seems surprisingly mature and self-sufficient compared to young people today. I have to laugh when she alerts the police wherever she goes and they immediately pull out all the stops to help her--not that the police don't help, but that they are so trusting and go out of their way to keep her informed. There seems to be an unlimited amount of money available for her travels, and problems are usually solved with no effort. but th ...more
Nora
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: older-elementary
I wanted to see if the old Nancy Drew books were worth keeping in my library- or recommending to kids. So sad, but... I don't think they are. The Haunted Showboat is from 1957 and includes 'colored' help named Pappy Cole and Mammy Matilda, Nancy and friends dressing for dinner (they are changing clothes all the time), and other dated details.

If this book were a classic, confusing vocabulary, etc. may be OK. But the book is far from a classic- and there are so many great mysteries written today f
Hailey Crawford
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I thought this book was good. If you like mysterys then you should read this book. Nancy, Bess, and Goerge go to New Orleans to investigate a "haunted" showboat. But right before the trip her car is stolen, and there is a snow storm and they even almost fall off a cliff. Its very interesting. There is also a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter. Nancy and her friends also save a marriage because the girl thats supposed to get married her fiance is the one thats behing everything. Since that h ...more
Cece
Leisha Volmer
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-books, 2011-reads
As a girl I had never read a Nancy Drew book so this was my first one. It was about Nancy and her two friends trying to figure out the case of the showboat and why people were haunting it. They encounter many obsticles of stolen cars and rocks being thrown. I did enjoy it at the begining but as it went on it was too predictable and I got bored. I'm sure that with more unexperienced readers, they would love it a lot. It was interesting and there were parts where I was excited to keep reading but ...more
george
May 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Nancy, George and Bess are headed to New Orleans for Mardi Gras! But it won't be all fun and games, because of course there is a mystery involved. It starts before the girls even leave River Heights: Nancy's car is stolen and then someone continues to attempt to delay their journey. Once in New Orleans, the girls learn about the mysterious river showboat that appears to be hauntes. It's up to Nancy and her chums to figure it all out before Mardi Gras!

Another good Nancy Drew mystery. Not the best
Jessi
Nov 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Not quite as racist as the original N.D. books, this book still has some... interesting takes on African Americans in the south when Nancy goes to New Orleans with Bess and George. Before they can go down, her blue roadster is stolen and replaced with a yellow convertible (which has a bomb implanted in the dash and the rear housing is destroyed with acid). They're on their way to solve the mystery of the haunted showboat for Bess and George's uncle before Mardi Gras.
Greta
Aug 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nancy-drew
Best things about this one is the ambiance of a swamp setting and the colorful capture of the villain which has a fun dramatic flair. Low marks for some racism. News bulletin: referring to black servants as "Mammy", "Pappy", and other black people as "Uncle" is a throwback to names from slavery times. This book was republished in 1980s.....these offensive terms should have removed.
Amanda Moore
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
We read the 1957 copy of this mystery as a family in almost a single sitting, and although we all winced with each depiction of the southern black folks that form the dramatis personae and the way Ned Nickerson and the boys have to swoop in to protect the "girls" from danger, it was a fun way to pass a lazy afternoon.
Rita
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
It was fun to go back to my childhood to a more innocent time and re-read a Nancy Drew classic. I have the whole collection and enjoy picking up one now and then and slipping into the past.

There's a lot going on in this particular tale with car bombs and mystery and intrigue in New Orleans. I have to give it at least 3 stars for the nostalgia tug on my heart.
Oridisi
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Bess and Georges cousin was so damn annoying and stupid, she didn't deserve to go back with her ex-fiance and I still don't understand why she even went with Alex to begin with. But the story was okay
Maggie
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading The Haunted Showboat in the Nancy Drew series. It was amazing just like all the others I have read in this series. I liked how Nancy was on vacation during this one. Overall I really liked this book and would love to read more Nancy Drew.
Marahs
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2008 rated it liked it
I found and read this book at Sean's grandmother's house over Thanksgiving. It's set in New Orleans in the 1950s. Its account of the area is pretty good and it was a fun a read. Of course, some of the segregation undertones were quite evident and uncomfortably true.
  • The Wailing Siren Mystery (Hardy Boys, #30)
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • Trixie Belden and the Hudson River Mystery (Trixie Belden, #28)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)