Start by marking “The Invisible Intruder (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #46)” as Want to Read:
The Invisible Intruder (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #46)

The Invisible Intruder

(Nancy Drew #46)

Nancy and her friends are invited by Helen and Jim Archer to join a ghost-hunting trip with them and three other married couples. The group investigates five haunted locations. The first one has a self-propelling canoe appearing on a lake. The next concerns a fortuneteller’s prophecy hut; people hear thunder during séances but storms are not present. A phantom horse appear ...more
Published 1969 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Invisible Intruder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Invisible Intruder

Doug
Dec 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
Stephen
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, considering it included a picture of a "flying" octopus! Overall, though, it was a disappointment. Nancy's entourage is too big for my taste, and the adventure seems a bit lackluster -- at least until the end, when it picks up a bit. The illustrations are also less than impressive. At least the story includes a "talking" sting ray and a mention of "dangerous snails."
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew strikes again in this tale of a haunted house and room full of skulls.
Bev
The Invisible Intruder (Nancy Drew #46; 1969) was one of my favorite Nancy Drew books when I was a young reader. It ranks up there with The Clue of the Broken Lock, The Clue in the Crumbling Wall, The Hidden Staircase, and Mystery of the Glowing Eye in the top five. I first read it from the school library, but naturally I had to get a copy for my very own. When the Birth Year Reading Challenge was revived this year, I decided I needed to read my copy of the Nancy book that is as old as I am.

Nanc
Julesy
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I last read this book in 2009 and rated it 3.5 stars. I think I like it a little bit better the umpteenth time around reading it, particularly the last few chapters that talk about the giant clam, snail that builds shells on itself, and the starfish. I learned a lot about sea life! However, the previous chapters with the ghost hunting were pretty boring.

Even though I am bumping up my rating to 4 stars, it really is more of a 3.75 stars, rounded up. I would place this book in the bottom half of
Mikayla
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't like this one as much as I had remembered. I loved having the whole gang there, but they really weren't in their best form. instead of finishing each of the mystery's as she went along, Nancy always left as they got close to an answer claiming "She'd be back later." It makes sense for the flow of the book but not Nancy's character.
E
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
"Helen was very pretty, and her tall, good-looking husband was full of fun."
Barbara
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Nancy Drew and is still my favorite. Thank you Ms Drew for giving me the love of reading and mysteries!!
Eric Wood
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable mystery! I enjoyed all the different ghost locations Nancy and the gang go to. Although, there are problems. Most of the ghost locations aren’t very explained in detail, which was hard to visualize the settings. The biggest coincidence in this book is that all 5 mysteries are connected and are being caused by the same people!! Wow! I feel this book's title should be changed. The Invisible Intruder of this book has little to nothing to do with the story(in fact I don't even know ...more
Suziey
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy is invited by Helen Archer to go with her and her husband on a mystery-hunting expedition. There have been strange happenings around five different places and Helen puts together a group to figure out what is happening.

I absolutely enjoyed this mystery!! First of all, Helen and her husband Jim are back! It’s been a while since they’ve appeared. Second of all, this is one big mystery, made up of 5 smaller cases. They all tie in together, but that’s something the reader doesn’t find out unt
Vintagebooklvr
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it
The hottest new ghost hunter--Nancy Drew!

Intrepid investigator of awry elements, ghostly canoes, spirit horse riders and haunted mansions! No threat from the great beyond will frighten off this seeker of truth.

This could be a lead-in to one of the many "reality" tv ghost hunting shows but is actually one of the modern Nancy Drews. Mysteries galore, danger, kidnappings and a suspicious medium create an exciting and fun adventure.

I enjoyed that various types of tricks and technology were used in
Kevin
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
While I enjoy what could be with this book, the mysteries are so thin. Seriously, if the bad guy can invent some of the technology used in this book he could make more off the patents than what his schemes would ever think of bringing in. Wilbur Prizer kind of reminds me of the silver age Lex Luthor, a scientist who spent obscene amounts of money to create robots and such to distract Superman while millions were stolen. Does. Not. Compute. :-)
DeAnna
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a very action packed, adventurous book. I love the Nancy drew series because of all of the creepy chapters. The thing I love about this book is that at the end of every chapter, she puts a cliffhanger so that you will want to keep reading. I recommend this book for anyone. Five stars!!!
Lyssa
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the better nd mysteries, I feel. Or maybe just more entertaining ? Although I thought the group was too big. I liked the large collection of mysteries and how quickly she moved through them. The plot/motive was pretty worn out. And I think one of the mysteries was not actually solved- thunder during the seances?
Jen
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it n all the haunting events. Too many characters n may was not needed. Made it a great discussion books. Provided space for questions.
Madelyn Flammia
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my favorite Nancy Drew books. I enjoyed rereading it.
Katie
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like Nancy Drew because at the end of all the chapters it has something really unexpected that makes
you want to read more.
IrishFan
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't care for this one too much. It seemed complicated with 5 mysteries to solve. Although the gang did have to work harder to solve this one, it took awhile to evolve.
Savannah Helmer
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An unusual Nancy Drew mystery, 5 mysteries in one book! Quite thrilling and unexpected!
Myra Breckinridge
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reading
Reading this as an adult, I see how my early, voracious YA appetite was fueled by books that shoveled information over literary flair, where telling trumped showing.
Meaghan Steeves
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loooooove.
Phe
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Invisible Intruder is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 46th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew and her friends go on a ghost hunting expedition and become involved with a gang of thieves who concentrate their activities on collectors of valuable shells. In a dramatic climax, Nancy outwits her enemy in an eerie mansion and traps him in the fantastic Room of Skulls.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was
Christine Arvinth
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nancydrew
this book was an interesting but scary book. I was nearly scared out my wits when i was reading the part where Bess and Nancy see the ghost
LobsterQuadrille
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Nancy Drew fans
The Invisible Intruder is another fairly average Nancy Drew mystery. The story does manage to be pretty suspenseful at times, but most of the other ghost-hunting couples are completely bland and add barely anything to the story. I did sort of like learning some new things about various shells, but at the same time, why shells? And I just don't buy Nancy's explanation for the phantom horse: (view spoiler) ...more
Tabi34
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Typical Nancy Drew in many ways. Her friend Helen from the first few books and her husband are in this book. Actually, all of her friends are in this book and are more than just mentions.

For the first time, we get an inkling that Bess and Dave might be more serious than the other couples. A medium tells Beth that she's going to be going to get a marriage license soon and Beth says not until Dave finishes college. I'm guessing that Bess and Dave get married in the near future - probably around b
Melanie
OMG. Helen Corning Archer appears in this one. We haven't seen her since Larkspur Lane, I don't think. But aside from her and her husband and the Regular Five sidekicks, there are a bunch of other people. Too many to keep track of.

This is an obvious case of people trying to scare others off a property. Pro tip: If you own a desirable piece of land and a strange phantom suddenly appears and then a few days later some sketchy dude tempts you with an unsolicited lowball real estate offer, the latte
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, mystery
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Lisa Varra
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Just like the back cover narrative promises...this was full of "cliff-hanging suspense and thrilling action". I think Nancy Drew was the originator of forensic / CSI, because at one point she determines from a speck of mud and a piece of hair that "the intruder has dark, bushy hair, and he may be staying near a stream where ferns are growing."

Reading these stories is almost as good as watching The Bionic Woman episodes!
Freya
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read Nancy Drew Chronicles when I was in high school. This book left a mark in me. Well-written, unpredictable and I really got scared! It's nice to remember books I read in 90's. Ha, it wasn't all Sweet Valley High books.

• The Happy Valley Mystery (Trixie Belden, #9)
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
  • The Ghost at Skeleton Rock (Hardy Boys, #37)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
“The officer said No and his mother was frantic.” 1 likes