Start by marking “Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #29)” as Want to Read:
Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #29)

Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew #29)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  3,965 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
When Nancy learns the Drews’ housekeeper has been duped by an elegantly dressed woman into buying a stolen fur piece, the young detective starts a search for the clever swindler. To Nancy’s astonishment, she discovers the woman is using the name Nancy Drew! The dishonest acts of the impostor point the finger of suspicion at Nancy herself! Following the trail of the clever ...more
Hardcover, Revised text, 176 pages
Published 1968 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery at the Ski Jump, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery at the Ski Jump

Madeline
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Every girl needs to go through a Nancy Drew phase at least once. For me, that was when I was in 6th grade and read...I don't even know how many of these books. At least eight, I think.
This one sticks out in my mind the most because over the course of her ski-related escapades, Nancy taught me something that I still consider really important: how to signal an SOS with a flashlight after you've managed to escape the abandoned cabin in the middle of the woods where The Bad Guys tied you up and lef
Sheryl Tribble
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Tried to read a Nancy Drew book a few years back and it was all "you can't go home again," but when I was indexing them last week I noticed I had an original and a rewritten volume of The Mystery at the Ski Jump, and I thought it'd be fun to compare the two. I've done that with some Hardy Boys mysteries where the only connection between the original and the rewrite were a few names; the plot had been entirely changed.

In this case, however, they were essentially the same; the rewrite was missing
Mary
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: girl-detective
Hypers, I'm definitely George.

This started mostly as nostalgia-reading, but now I'm super interested in the Grosset & Dunlap edits and the feminist politics (and failures) of Nancy Drew.

keywords: mink furs, stolen identity, Aunt Eloise, skiing, Canada, telegrams, near-death Nancy, Mizti Channing
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Unique Nancy Drew story, as Nancy chases after a thief and a con artist masquerading as Nancy Drew!
Julie
I saw the library added a ton of Nancy Drew e-books, and with the Winter Olympics happening, what better flashback to childhood than the Mystery of the Ski Jump?

First of all, it wasn't about a ski jump at all. That was like two pages of the whole book.

Second, it's so interesting to read a book like this written in the...past. I almost thought about classifying it as historical fiction! I would be so interested to talk to a current pre-teen reading these older versions of Nancy Drew. It probabl
Melissa
I just love Nancy's world, where the good guys all look honest, the bad guys have beady-eyes and pencil-thin mustaches, criminals put their return addresses on their mailings, and yet it still takes an 18-year-old amateur detective to round up a theft ring. Gotta love it!
Christine Arvinth
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nancydrew
Well Nancy had quiet an adventure in this book. I still do not know how she manages to learn something new while she is sleuthing. And i really liked the book.
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Mystery at the Ski Jump is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 29th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy Drew's sleuthing finds her looking for an unscrupulous door-to-door fur saleswoman with counterparts whose trails take Nancy and her friends from New York to Canada.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls
Luisa
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nancy-drew, 2016
My LAST Nancy Drew book--I have now read all of the original ones, which is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid. A few thoughts on the series: 1. how does Nancy have the time/$$ to go around solving all of these mysteries? 2. Nancy has got to be the biggest Renaissance-woman there ever was. In every book, she is taking some sort of lessons that happen to assist her in solving the mystery, usually when she is posing as an expert in the given field (for example, in this book, she posed a ...more
Dharia Scarab
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Alyssa
I was a HUGE Nancy Drew fan as a kid and thus this is not the first time I've read this one, but as I was looking for a "book from a beloved childhood series" for my reading bingo and was feeling inspired by the Winter Olympics in Sochi, I chose this one. I remembered it involved mink pelts and skiing, but not much beyond that. It's fun to read these again as an adult--coincidences and things I thought nothing of when younger are kind of hilarious now, as are some culture-of-a-different-era thin ...more
Melanie
The captcha on this book is full of weird errors, more than most of the other books. And Nancy is a decent ice skater but not really impressive on skis, even though she won a novice slaloming competition a year before the book takes place.

A phony stock scheme, like book 23 and 25. If you read these sequentially, the tropes recycle way too quick. Also Nancy's identity is stolen like in book 4. And of course, she's kidnapped and bound and gagged again when the people she's with turn their backs fo
Madalyn Walker
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is simply amazing ( Just like all other Carolyn Keene books! ). Any one who is a fan of mysteries would love this book and all other Carolyn Keene novels. In this book, Nancy's father asks of her help to solve a mystery involving his legal work. Nancy, who is also nose deep in a mystery herself, flies to Montreal to help crack her father's case. While scouring for thieves, phonies, and liars, Nancy makes new friends and proves herself as a great detective. This is book number 29 in the ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Liz
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this for some research and like most Nancy Drew books, I liked it. Written in 1952 (and I did have the 1952 edition), I found it interesting that this had to do with minks and furs. I grew up seeing those little animals biting each other draped around women's necks with their fake beady eyes. While selling fur in the fifties and sixties was accepted as normal, I wonder how today's generation accepts this?
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't love that the mystery revolved around the fur trade, but overall this was a good Nancy Drew book. I like that all of Nancy's friends were involved in solving the mystery, and I also liked that they travelled around a lot during the book. I tend to find these books more entertaining when Bess, George, and the boys are involved and/or when the whole story doesn't happen in River Heights.
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, children
This story was fun to read and it held my interest which is always good.
I liked how there was some time between when each bit of the mystery was solved, which was something I found that differed from some of the books before where you would get all the answers at once.
I also enjoyed the snow-themed fun that was had.
Alex
Yet another Nancy Drew book with a misleading title. The ski jump was hardly mysterious, and barely even factored into the story at all.

Also, what was up with Hannah being such an idiot in this one? And how would having someone's drivers license - but looking nothing like them - work at all to steal someone's identity?
Ambika ɀסּϛסּ
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library
The most ridiculous Nancy Drew book I ever read but one of my favourites.
I loved averything about it. The travelling,the snow,the skating,the fur swindle. It's the book I'll curl up with when I'm looking for a minute alone.
The coincidences!!!
It was getting ridiculous after a while. I'm not going to say anymore but you read it and tell me.
Mandie Compagner
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, but there were some parts were it got boring, and not a lot of action happened. I liked how the book had lots of description, and the author kept a lot of things secret for the reader to find out in the end.
Maryann
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
Shelves: nancy-drew
Another wonderful Nancy Drew adventure, this one cuts it a little too close for Nancy. Her relationship with Ned still remains and someone's selling stolen fur pieces. Nancy investigates, finds herself a suspect and in terrible danger.
Y
Mimi
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kept you kind of hanging in the beginning, but the ending just EXPLODED. But nice as that is, it wasn't quite as good as other Nancy Drew's that I've read. An okay if you like the type of story that unfolds slowly, but I like a faster, more dangerous kind of mystery.
Anita Carty
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was so captivated by this book at a young girl that I missed dinner, my mother kept calling for me and I was too involved in the story to even hear her! I am a total Nancy Drew fan, read them whenever I need something fast and light
Abigail
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Perfect nostalgic winter read. As always, it was slightly ridiculous, and Nancy continues to be a bottomless pit of talents and knowledge. Must be nice. However, still an enjoyable read. And a reminder of how thankful I am for google.
Heidi
Jan 29, 2010 rated it liked it
A good winter read.
Christine
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fun to read during a ski trip and re-connect with your inner Nancy Drew.
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
it was a very good book.
Partridge Public
Sep 18, 2007 added it
Recommends it for: JF Kee
Shelves: juniorfiction
Keene, Carolyn
Tamia
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, it was very mysterious!
Hope you read this book soon!
  • The Secret Panel (Hardy Boys, #25)
  • The Mystery of the Missing Heiress (Trixie Belden #16)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)