Start by marking “Cat, You Better Come Home” as Want to Read:
Cat, You Better Come Home

Cat, You Better Come Home

A soulful fable adapted from Keillor's popular "Cat Songs". One cold winter's night, the elegant Puff decides to run away from home. She goes to Europe, where she becomes fabulously rich as a TV cat food spokescat. It's the high life for Puff, dripping in diamonds and mink, until the day she meets disaster. Full color.
Published May 1st 1995 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Cat, You Better Come Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat, You Better Come Home

Rosalie Beyer-Krohn
A charming tale of a snobby cat running off to live a life of luxury, eventually realizing that she didn’t have it so bad back home after all.

Level: 4.2

Genre: Picture Book. Large illustrations adorn every page, with smaller illustrations occasionally intermingled within the text.

Classroom uses: There are a few different messages conveyed in the book, but you could focus on appreciating what you have. This could be a great discussion to have right around Thanksgiving.

However, I feel this book be
Brett
Jan 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-fare
Sometimes famous grown up authors decide to write books for children, and sometimes for unknown reasons, I read those books.

This book, I think, is fine. It is short and sing-song-y. I imagine kids would like it. It tells the story of a cat who leaves home, becomes famous and indulges in lots of bad behavior, and then returns home for the simpler life. It is a prodigal son type of story, a theme Keillor often uses in his work for mature audiences as well.

Sometime after reading this, I also happen
Brittany Perry
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was a lovely book with a great message. Although we know every child is special and unique as a society we have quit making life a contest. In sports we let everyone on the team, in academics we keep scores secret, and this country shoulder's people who "fail". Failure is good, people have to sink low and then rise up, that's the American Dream to become more than what you were. This book so accurately shows this in a simple humorous way. A cat leaves home and becomes a famous cat but when th ...more
Gold Dust
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
The book attempts to teach the lesson to be true to yourself, but at the same time it also teaches to not follow your dreams, to stay where you are in life and not aspire for anything greater. It seems contradictory, because dreams are a part of who we are. If we're following our dreams, we're being true to ourselves. It's only if one pretends to be someone one's not in order to accomplish the dreams that it becomes being untrue to oneself.

The book also teaches that there aren't consequences fo
Elliott Aengus
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think the book Cat You Better Come Home you can tell from the title the cat runs away from home because her owner disrespect her and does not give her the love she needs. He does not give her the yummy food he and his ex gets everyday. He does not even give her a bed o sleep on the only bed she gets the cold dirty floor. So she runs away and a month later she hits to fame. She is a super model and a very rich cat bu ten... One year later all her fame goes down the drain. She is going on to a b ...more
Halena Lathe
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Julie: 5 stars mommy.

Mommy: tell everyone what you thought about the book.

Julie: i like that she came home to a family who loved her no matter what happened in the past or while she was away from home.

From Mom's perspective, the book was sweet and heartbreaking at the same time. The cat goes through our cycles of trying to live a life of our own. If or when the world gobbles us up and spits us out, our family is always there for us (if we're lucky to have that kind of family). It's a good lesso
Sharon Huether
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cat-story
Puff the cat became disgruntled with her ordinary food. She traveled to Europe for a finer way of life and different food. Soon her rich lifestyle came to an end.
She then traveled home; her family was wl glad to see her.
The beuatiful illustrations makes this book so special.
Elsa
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maybe not a good one to read when your own cat is missing.
Catherine
Quirky, poem about a cat's quest for pleasure and the truth of the pleasures of home. Cat lovers will ❤ this. ...more
Allahna Gill
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Love the cadence of this book. It can be relatable for kids with pets!
Samantha Glasser
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a speculative tale of where a cat goes when it disappears outside for a while. The art is lush and my 2-year-old loves to repeat “Cat, you better come home!”
Cléo Schurrer
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My most favourite children's book!
Shelley
Summary:
Puff the cat decides it's time to leave home off on new adventures to find a place where she can be treated like a queen and fed rich delicious delicacies. She rises to the high life by becoming a famous model for cat-food magazine advertisements and TV commercials and she lives luxuriously all around Europe. But all her master wants is for her to come home. Will Puff get caught up in this new life and forget where she belongs?
My Rating: 4 stars
Comments:
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. S
Diana
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
After feeling mistreated at home Puff decides that she's had it, she's going to seek the glamorous life she's always been destined for. She finds fame and riches, travels the world being fabulous, and is voted Cat of All Cats. Unfortunately, fame never lasts, and when her money runs out she comes scratching at the door of her old home again, all messy-furred and overweight. After going on a high-fiber diet and spending some time on the windowsill, Puff is happy to be back home, where she is love ...more
Nielson
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Dissatisfied with her life, Puff the cat leaves home in search of something better. After a year and a half, having been the number one TV cat-food queen in a cat magazine, having lived in Greece and Copenhagen, and having eaten mouse morsels served flambe and white rats in chocolate sauce, something happens that helps Puff realize she has to be who she is and make the best of what she's got. The lyrical text and creative vocabulary make this an entertaining, funny read and the paintings make it ...more
Donna
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Keillor fans, Julie, Donna
Shelves: children-s-books
Being a huge Garrison Keillor fan when I saw this book I was so excited. I didn't know he did children's books but doesn't everybody whose anybody? I was not disappointed as Keillor is one of the best wits out there. Very funny and the illustrations were amazing. I jumped at a couple of them. You just have to see the cat for yourself. Good stuff and I am pretty sure the cat was Unitarian. He was too advertursome to be a Lutheran. No offence to any Unies or Luths out there.
Arlen
Awesome, awesome art work and the fun and whimsy you'd expect from Mr. Keillor in the poetic text! And it could sell at Bertha's Kitty Boutique! I think it's good for children to question parent or caregiver readers about words like "Chateaubriand" and "Copenhagen." It could be the start of a wonderful conversation. A great gift to families with young children for their reading-aloud pleasure, too.
Christiane
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Puff the cat leaves home to experience a better life elsewhere, at least for awhile. The illustrations are superb and the language is wonderful (I learned a new word: truckle). And who can resist the list of delicacies the now fat cat is going to have to give up: "White rats in chocolate sauce,/Soup á la collie paws,/Chihuahuas in cheddar cheese,/Chuck roast of chickadees".
Linda
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
What an adorable picture book, with witty text that grown-ups will adore also. This one was recommended to me, since I own a quite independent cat like the main character in this book. Besides the outlandish, over-the-top humor that will make kids laugh out loud, it also totally pegs felines who act like this. Excuse me, I'm going to go read it to mine. If I can find her. Here, kitty, kitty.
VerJean
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-juvie-books
Very cute. Wanted to read a Garrison Keillor book. Ha ha - started with a short one.
Love some of the rhymes and descriptions of gourmet cat food. Gulp.....
LaVonne - Annie might like some of that menu.
Dorian
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: elementary, pre-2000
I liked the rhyme-speak the author implemented into this book, but the pictures, while very artistic, were just too dark for my tastes. It threw off some of the storyline and left me feeling uneasy with the book in general.
Matt Millslagle
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is written by hometown celebrity, Garrison Keillor. Its the story of a fussy cat who leaves home to become a bigshot only to be swallowed up by fame before eventually comming home. It's a fun way to tell a cautionary tale.
Alanna
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like this book much better than the show. It is a delightful little story with fun rhyme and plays on words. The illustrations are great too. This is one of those lucky books that I have fun reading and my daughter likes hearing.
Laima
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone, people who like cats
For those of you who know the song, the story is identical. Thanks for the link, Melki!

The drawings are well done and do the song justice. A cute read.

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw475Q...

Candy
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read this to both my girls when they were little. I can recite it if need be.
Kelly
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I think this must be a song, because the rhymes do not scan, which drives me crazy.
Dianne
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lovely, witty, fun children's book. One to read again and again!
Carole
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-books-read
Rhyming tale of a cat who wants out of the house and won't come back. The story tells of her adventures, of which there are many.
Ashley Hutto
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Witty and well-versed children's book. A new favorite!
Amber
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
super funny and imaginative book. I know it is a kids book but the language is superb. Written by the NPR Prairie Home Companion Host.

• Catkin
  • Winter Is the Warmest Season
  • Halloween
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • Be Nice to Spiders
  • The Tenth Good Thing About Barney
  • Chester's Back! (Chester)
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You
  • Henry Builds a Cabin
  • But Who Will Bell the Cats?
  • City Cat
  • A Porcupine in a Pine Tree: A Canadian 12 Days of Christmas
  • Odd Velvet
  • Fly Guy and the Frankenfly (Fly Guy, #13)
  • Foxy and Egg
  • How to Lose a Lemur
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • Cats' Night Out
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker.