Start by marking “Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers” as Want to Read:
Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers

Investment Biker: Around the World with Jim Rogers

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,014 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Legendary investor Jim Rogers gives us his view of the world on a twenty-two-month, fifty-two-country motorcycle odyssey in his bestselling business/adventure book, Investment Biker, which has already sold more than 200,000 copies.

Before you invest another dollar anywhere in the world (including the United States), read this book by the man Time magazine calls “the Indiana
Published April 8th 2003 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Investment Biker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Investment Biker

Chris
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book really covers a lot of ground, geographically, historically and from an investing standpoint. The base story itself is pretty incredible, traveling across 6 continents on a motorcycle, which no one had ever done before. The book does a good job of keeping moving with a mix of historical context, current economic activity, and personal anecdote for each country they pass through. While obviously needing to limit scope in many places, Rodgers does a very good job of highlighting the key ...more
Terry Koressel
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
I would not recommend the book. I like Jim Rogers as an investor. I think he has a keen insight into the World economy and the art of investing. I Google his investment views often.

This book is a travelogue, not an investment book. I was fully expecting this and I was excited. Riding more than 60,000 miles on motorcycles across some of the most remote and dangerous territories in the World seems incredible. A chance to "experience" the peoples and places not normally visited through this Jim Ro
Alec
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
When Jim Rogers was a kid growing up in small town Alabama, he had a dream: to one day get richer than God and ride around the world on a motorcycle with a hot blonde half his age. He was a strange kid -- and, let's be honest, pretty unoriginal.* Regardless, Jim Rogers accomplished that dream and wrote an interesting, informative book about it. I'd almost call it lovely, but if "lovely" also had anti-communist connotations.

*Note: Any information about Jim Rogers' childhood thoughts is purely spe
Peter Zink
Good, but not great book. Jim's story is a fascinating one but I think it could have been written better and highlighted more of the excitement. Like and respect Mr Rogers, but this one was a bit of a slog. Since this is an older book, it's fun to see which of Jim's predictions came true.
Eugenio Gomez-acebo
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Jim Rogers, famous investor, expartner of George Soros, retired at 37 and decided to travel the world with his BWM and girlfriend. This book is a travel diary and is full of comments on the countries that he visits. Those comments are not sophisticated and follow the same framework of thinking. Rogers explains that revolutions emerge no because of oppressed people, but from people with unrealized expectations. Provides a good analysis of communism failure: no accountability, no responsibility, n ...more
Frank Ullrich
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-books
4 Stars - The book "Investment Biker" is a treasure chest for every reasonable investor and more so for everyone interested in contemporary history. His investor's view on history is refreshing; it is free of ideology, free of guilt, and free of politics. He wants to make money; thus, he cannot afford to get caught by beliefs and narratives. He gauges the reality and makes predictions based on it. His logics and thinking are unpolitical to the extent that he becomes politically incorrect.
The bo
Diane
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Disappointing read. I read it a while ago and was very much looking forward to it based on Jim Rogers legendary status in the markets. However, this book, for me, really couldn't decide what its purpose was. Was it a personal account of Jim's travels? Was it investement focused? Suffice to say, because of its lack of commitment to both, it succeeded as neither. I was disappointed because I expected more from Jim Rogers' brilliance. It was a slow, long read.
Russell
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Billionaire business partner of George Soros travels the world on a motorcycle and reports his observations.

Very insightful into how economics is viewed by captains of industry. They really have no interest in a place where everything seems to be running smoothly. Those places have no where to go but down. He was much more interested in places where a reliable infrastructure was the rule of law, he felt that development was inevitable.
Scott
Dec 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was positively agonizing. Rogers, a Rhodes Scholar and well-known, outspoken investment guru, writes with the gusto and inspiration of a 4th grader, and his emotionless rendering of his relationship with the love interest of the story is as dynamic and vivid as a stale English muffin. I got two chapters into this dreadful tome, which came highly recommended from several friends, and left it aside, unable to proceed.
Jay
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
In the early 90s investor Jim Rogers and his girlfriend motorcycled across the world. This book is part travelogue, part history lesson, part economics lesson, and part basic investment strategy. I knew Rogers was of a libertarian bent, but I didn't realize to what degree. As he travels from country to country and comments on the past and predicted future of each region, while musing about the failing and tragedy of statism, bureaucracy, war, and even the war on drugs.
Nanny Mei
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4 stars. Partly global history, partly economics, partly investment tutorial and partly adventure travelogue. It is more comprehensive than deep, but certainly wove a lot of threads together. Again, a book I wish I had read in high school or freshman year in college.
Annie Stevenson
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the most entertaining finance books of all time.
Jim Rogers is a former fund manager who just wants to fulfill his dream of traveling around the world -- coast to coast on each continent. His travel method of choice? Motorcycle.
His companion is Tabitha Estabrook, who -- reading between the lines -- becomes the real hero of the journey. (She's the mechanic, translator, leader, and cool head of the two. In the end, we're all #TeamTabi.)
They begin their travels in 1989, a couple years out fr
Michael Brennan
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the trip through Siberia. The many challenges. Handy to have a map to keep track of where Jim Rogers and Tabatha are travelling. This is an exceptionally long trip. After travelling to Japan, via China (across 3000mi with only 1 timezone), and then through Siberia to Poland. Then embarks on a successive trip through Africa to New Zealand, and back through S. America (have not reached that part yet, assumed that is where they go). Investment ideas integrated with text that some may ...more
Sharudin Jamal
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like Jim's attitude. Rich but carefree.
Mirshod Khaydarov
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!
Pranav
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 100booksinayear
Jim Rogers is an Investor in International Stock Markets. He started his career as an Investment Banker along with the equally legendary George Soros, with whom he later founded the Quantum Fund. Investment Biker, his first book, is an account of his World Record holding 100,000 mile Motorcycle ride along with his friend Tabitha Estabrook through Six continents, in a span of 22 months. Along with a commentary on his journey, he gives us golden nuggets on International Investment, Local Cultures, ...more
Carlos Ortega
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-finance
A book about everything: motorcycles, traveling, culture, demographics, history and a lot of economy and finance. At times it seems too long and that it mentions lots of not so relevant details about a country.

Would've liked it more if Jim offered a review about Mexico, not just a simple -passing-by-country comment. He generally guessed right about every country's future, and I can't believe he didn't mention anything about the huge potential relationship between Mexico and United States, one of
Greg
I remember reading a review of Mickey Rourke starring in a boxing movie, after Rourke had tried boxing semi-professionally for a short while. The reviewer said something like "for a boxer he's a pretty good actor; for an actor, he's a pretty good boxer." I had half that feeling with regards to Investment Biker. For investment advice, it’s a pretty fair account of adventure touring, but even for an adventure touring book, it’s not an especially good source of investment advice.

Jim Rogers has had
Steve Bradshaw
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: investment
A fun romp around the world on a motorcycle with quick insights into the many different countries along the way. After reading this book i would seriously consider overland biking the world myself! It's hard not to be impressed reading about his forays through the Congo, the Sahara, Siberia, the Australian outback and Asia minor.

Unfortunately, the author comes across as self-promotional and a touch arrogant at the outset of the book (not helped by the fact he's brought a young blonde along for
Anthony
Jan 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: person interested in world finance
I read this book quite a while ago but i remember it was excellent. It was motivating because this stock market guy stopped all that he was doing in the US and decided to travle around the world with his girlfriend on two motorcycles. Along the way he visited foreign stock exchanges, met with presidents of major business there, and invested in countries he though would do well in the future. This book was an exciting read because he mixed world travel and adventure with gaining wealth...which ev ...more
Luke Ethan
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this book for the combination of travel tips and whatever investment idea Jim Rogers had. With this expectation, it did not disappoints, the book educate the best ways to cross borders and the often required "fee" question to smooth the borders checks.
Jim Roger observation of human nature in the various countries reinforce his economic principles of less government restriction is the better method to allow economic growth. He have some ideas on the best industries to buy into in a growing c
Heidi Siefkas
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting tale of a U.S. couple traveling around the globe on two BMW bikes.
Lots of flat tires, spills, beautiful sights, smells....
They start in NYC and go to Ireland across Europe and Asia to Japan. They double-back over through Siberia and head South to Africa, the Sahara to South Africa, but there was no stopping there. The two continue to NZ and Down Under with the last leg starting at the Strait of Magellan in South America and cruising, falling, and fearing until NYC.
To be honest, it go
Julie
Jan 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: motorcycle
I notice that none of the reviews seem to be written by motorcyclists,only economists. The biker viewpoint is what initially attracted me to this book. Mr. Roger's attitudes regarding the places he visited with his focus on economic scouting for profit was so alien to the way I feel about motorcycle travel that I found it fascinating. I was surprised that someone so concerned with structure and schedules could even enjoy motorcycle travel.
dr_set
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting book that gives a small recount of the history, culture, geogaphy and current situation of a great number of countries that the autho visited durinng hes trip. He also includes some investment insights. An enjoyable read, its amazing to see how little danger they faced even in the most remote and war plagued countries. Certanly change the way i think of travel and the world in general.
Turaaa
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics, adventure
Jim rogers drives his bike for amazing distances around the world, and making observations about the economy of each country he visits.
While the topics of world travel and the world economies are very interesting, the book has many flaws.
It is quite dry, rarely mentioning what he thinks or feels , and without many descriptions of the countries he visits besides the economy.
Jose
Jan 19, 2009 rated it liked it
good book about a rtw trip on a motorbike at the turn of the century. he went with his girlfriend (up to a point, when she decided to return to the US). A bit self indulgent sometimes, but inspiring for those akin to financial markets and travelling. some good insights about the economies of then developing countrie.s
Russ
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Jim Rogers comes off as an arrogant jerk in his TV appearances, interviews and books. HE is opinionated and self-righteous. If you can put that aside, he tells an entertaining tale of his trip around the world by motorcycle. It is dated and most of his predictions missed their mark. I still enjoyed hearing about places that I'd never want to visit. This is not an investment book.
Prizgar Gonzales
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jim Rogers is one of my favorite teachers. Truly a remarkable man. I have emulated his adventurous spirit and you might also after reading this book. His simple prose exudes magic. A fearless spirit, comfortable with his billions, at ease, drifting into an African village, at midnight, eating sautéed snake. Be warned, if you live in a provincial cocoon you might grow wings of freedom. Go brave!
Tanner
Feb 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, investing
This is not only a story of famed investor Jim Rogers, but also provides bits and pieces of things such as his investment and economics philosophies.

This book takes you on a complete journey around the world, leaving the reader wanting to step away from arm-chair traveling in order to experience the world as it is.
David Kessler
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
How do you get across the border? Can I plan a trip on all continents where i can ride my BMW motorcycle?
He is having too much fun with his early retirement. Traveling across just Siberia on his cycle would be a kick.
Investing in equities in any country that would sell them.
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • Conquer the Crash: You Can Survive and Prosper in a Deflationary Depression
  • The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets: How to Keep Your Portfolio Up When the Market Is Down
  • The Money Game
  • Hedgehogging
  • Bull!: A History of the Boom and Bust, 1982-2004
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Understanding Money and Investing
  • Technical Analysis Explained: The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points
  • The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders
  • Tomorrow's Gold: Asia's Age of Discovery
  • Beating the Street
  • The New Positioning: The Latest on the World's #1 Business Strategy
  • Bernard Baruch
  • Unlimited Wealth: The Theory and Practice of Economic Alchemy
  • Extreme Money: Masters of the Universe and the Cult of Risk
  • The Complete TurtleTrader: The Legend, the Lessons, the Results
  • Running Money: Hedge Fund Honchos, Monster Markets and My Hunt for the Big Score
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
James Beeland Rogers, Jr. is an American investor and author, currently based in Singapore. Rogers is the Chairman of Rogers Holdings and Beeland Interests, Inc. He was the co-founder of the Quantum Fund with George Soros and creator of the Rogers International Commodities Index (RICI). He has travelled around t
More about Jim Rogers...