Start by marking “One Flight Up” as Want to Read:

One Flight Up

What happens after happily-ever-after fades? Can the answer be found one flight up?

India, Abby, Esme, and Monique have all been friends since their days at Manhattan’s Sibley School for Girls. From the outside, these four women—all grown up now—seem to be living ideal lives, yet each finds herself suddenly craving more.

India Chumley is a whip-smart divorce lawyer who rou
Published July 27th 2010 by Atria Books (first published July 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about One Flight Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Flight Up

Rena
I talked about One Flight Up in a recent instagram post, stating that I call this Black & Bougie lit, novels that follow well-to-to blacks who have more issues than People magazine. This fits very neatly in the genre. These women - India, Abby, Esme, and Monique - have known each other since their days at an all-girls prep school, but now they're grown and trying to handle their business in the most messy of ways. While I think things wrapped up too nicely, and some plot points were the tini ...more
DLova
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good, lightweight read...
Lauren
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
*3.5*

As of lately, I have really started to love the chick-lit genre. The books always tend to be fun, light reads for the most part and sometimes that's just what I need in a book. Therefore, when I was offered the chance to read and review Susan Fales-Hill's One Flight Up, I jumped at the chance. However, while I found the book to be well written and the storylines to be enticing and intriguing, I wasn't always the biggest fan of the characters presented.

One Flight Up tells the story of longt
Toni
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In the past year I've read a few novels that take place in modern New York City. There were a couple that tried to tackle the topics of the new generation of women struggling with career vs. staying at home, gentrification into whatever is the hot neighborhood of the moment, and celebrities wanting a "normal" life. One even tried, unsuccessfully, to take on the race question. It was laughable. The ones that turned me off the most were billed as sort of Sex and The City hybrids, where former part ...more
Ari
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
IQ "In terms of both Keith and Julien, she needed never utter the words 'It might have been.' That was more than many people could say, for that she reminded herself to be grateful" (312)

My issue with this is not because the characters were all rich. In the author's first novel she sticks to what she knows and rich people have their own problems too. Furthermore I understand the temptation of cheating and I never thought that went away with marriage. I think the author expertly and eloquently ex
Samantha March
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One Flight Up by Susan Fales-Hill circles around four married friends, each at a different stage in their life, each unhappy in their own ways. India Chumley, our main gal, is a biracial, high powered divorce lawyer, whose clients and her own mother’s marriage keeps her from saying “yes” to all the proposals her hunky French boyfriend keeps bestowing on her. That, and the fact that she is still in love with Keith, her ex-fiancée who cheated on her weeks before their wedding date. Abby Rosenfeld ...more
Jasmine Harris
I am so unbelievably tired of reading and hearing about the "problems" of rich people; fiction or nonfiction.

This book presents four well-educated, seemingly intelligent, multicultural women. However, with their fabulous wardrobe and desirable residence in the poshest neighborhoods in New York city, they are ALL unfulfilled and quite lonely. What?! So to fill that void, and the time on their hands, they all decide to cheat on their others. Brilliant! These spoiled brats step out on their relati
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

Four women who are friends and three of which find themselves in unhappy marriages, while the other is still in the dating scene are the characters in this story. For one reason or another each of these women are unhappy in their current situations and instead of working on them, would rather venture to find happiness with someone else.
Nicole McLaren
A little disappointed with this one. The women did not have many redeemable qualities and I don't know that et learned their lesson in the end. Plus the brand name dropping was a bit too much for me. It was a quick read, but I was not 100% satisfied.
Kristine
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt like this book was written with the intention that it would be adapted into a movie and not as a piece of literary work.
Kelly
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm, well then. I have to say I sure am glad none of these women are my friends. It was interesting & had a few characters I was really pulling for which kept me reading on but geesh, what a bunch of cheating, lying, awful people. A "sassy summer beach read?" Yeah, no.
Diane
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four friends who met at the elite Manhattan Sibley School for Girls are at a crossroads of life and love in Susan Fales-Hill's novel One Flight Up.

India is a hard-charging divorce attorney with a high maintenance actress mother, an addiction to chocolate, and a loving French chef boyfriend. When the man she left at the altar years ago for cheating on her comes back into her life, she is torn between her strong attraction to the "bad boy" and her understanding, caring boyfriend.

Abby has a artist
Chrystal
Susan Fales-Hill is an award winning television writer and producer who has worked on shows ranging from The Cosby Show to Suddenly Susan. She is the author of the critically acclaimed Always Wear Joy. And now, Susan Fales-Hill has written a fun, New York story that has all the elements a good novel should have, love, lies, lust, betrayal and perhaps hope - readers won’t want to put it down, not until the very end! One Flight Up is a dramatic-comedic romp through the boardrooms, and bedrooms of ...more
Joe
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate a couple of things captured by Susan Fales-Hill with this book: A story about affluent African-Americans; a REALISTIC story that shows different facets of "love"; and last but certainly not least, the fact that WOMEN DO CHEAT!!!! Fales-Hill delivers a very intelligently written account of 4 VERY different women. Despite their differences, their friendships never faulter through all the madness. It was nice to see that true sisterhood. It was also nice to see the multicultural themes ...more
Jacqui
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Fales-Hill, a writer I've enjoyed for over 20 years now (she wrote for The Cosby Show and A Different World), released her first novel--a follow up to her memoir/biography of her mother. I was looking forward to this book for some time. Now that I've finished it, I am disappointed.

Authors are urged to "write what [they] know!" Ms. Fales-Hill did exactly that, perhaps to a fault. The biracial, Harvard-educated daughter of a tempestuous marriage, India Chumley appears to be Ms. Fales-Hill in
Klaudyna Z.
Aug 10, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What horrible horrible women! Every character in this book was absolutely horrible, except maybe for Julien. They were all cheating whores who didn't care who they hurt in the process. And it really pisses me off when women who love high, expensive fashion look down on and make fun of others who don't dress just like they do. Not everyone cares about fashion nor can afford it. I hated all of these women.

I hated this book, it was just so discouraging. At least they all came to their senses in th
Carla Ford
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had waited until I went to the beach to read this one! Lighthearted yet utterly serious, this book watches four women try their best to screw up their lives! All professional women, obviously intelligent, these women are completely clueless when it comes to men. You will turn the pages faster and faster as each woman becomes embroiled in her own "extracurricular activity", all putting their relationships at risk as they search for love and excitement in their lives. This was a great exa ...more
Robin
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-list, fiction
This is a "Sex and the City" type story with lots of brand names thrown around (Chanel suit, Hermes handbag) and it features four professional women who have been friends since attending the same tony private school. But now as women in their 30s they are all cheating on their men! It was a little disturbing and it makes it a tough one to put into the hands of readers since I don't know if it will offend. I know it's just a story but this is the second one in a row with this same subplot. It kno ...more
naan
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't normally read these types of books, but took this one on as an equivalent of a soap opera while cleaning your kitchen (something to make chores fun). Amusing yet predictable, but I knew what to expect. Rich girls, poor girls making it big, all your Manhattan money shakers in a book format. Sometimes it's fun to read something light though. Don't expect to find the answer to existential problems of the world here, but you will be amused. Proust would have been so much more accessible if h ...more
Lizzie
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rm-book-club
So, the books is about 4 friends in NYC that have known each other for a long time. India is the main character and the only unmarried girl in the group. The story is mostly her perspective and is about the relationships that the women are in. My main problem with this book all the cheating. I think I was supposed to root for them and in the end, I just didn't. I feel like they got exactly what they deserve. Trying to win back husbands, trying to pay off the other man, trying to make ammends to ...more
Kaitlin
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Turtlefrog
Apr 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, no-me-gusta
I honestly could not get into this book. I could not relate at all to this book. My biggest issue with this book was the fact that I felt the author made a huge issue out of the races of most of the characters. Maybe it's because I'm not black that I can not relate. But honestly.....leaving a guy because he can't relate to being half black and then the guy you cheat with actually cheated on you previously! WTF! I do not recommend this book at all.
The only reason I continued to read it was becaus
Elizabeth Whitehead
August 31, 2010
Susan Fales-Hill
This book reminded me of the popular HBO show “Sex in the City” with the four friends, the jet setters and fancy named clothes. It was well written and kept my attention. One Flight Up is a fun summer read. It will definitely show the pros and cons of having an affair and choosing the wrong person to marry! I enjoyed the book and finished it in two lazy summer afternoons.
Christine
Not my type of book but I read it for my book club. This books tells the story of 4 friends who are successful and smart but still dumb enough to risk their marriages in meaningless affairs. Some of the book cover blurbs described the book as a great beach read, I guess because of all the gratuitous sexual situations, but I found them sad instead of fun. There are certain books where the actions of the characters get me so annoyed that I don't enjoy the book, and this was one of them.
Nikki Rich
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am currently "reading" through audio-book, read by Cassandra Campbell. She does well with the many accents. I'm not too far along yet: on disc 4 out of 9, but it's keeping me interested. It seems as though this is a story with an obvious ending for all four woman. But I will have to see once I get through disc 9.
Maggie
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea from where I got the idea to put this book on hold at the library - but it was one of those books that was only OK and that I wanted to end so I could be done with it already.

I speed read through the middle and skimmed the end. Not the most satisfying of my summer reads.
Ciana
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out a real page turner. But by the time I got to chapter 45, I was ready for her to wrap up the story (and it didn't end until 12 chapters later)!!! Definitely a good read, but a hard lesson for the heroine doesn't make the ending as satisfying as I had hoped.
Shannon
Dec 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, infidelity
I'm not sure I really "liked" this book. But I do think the trite subject matter is elevated slightly by a unique perspective and some interesting characterization, making it a slightly better read than your average book about infidelity.
Jil Ross
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She's one of my favorite writers. I was intrigued with the bio she wrote on her mom and have been reading ever since. I love the diversity of her characters and her storylines. Highly recommended.
Dacia
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. I think character description was excellent and there was never a dull moment in the book for me. I give it a 4 instead of a 5 because I think it was a bit pretentious at time. I understand the author is a product of the Upper Class but most of her readers will not be.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Substitute Me
  • Feminista
  • Powder Necklace
  • The Legacy
  • The Secrets of Newberry
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • Red Light Special