Start by marking “Cats are Weird and More Observations” as Want to Read:
Cats are Weird and More Observations

Cats are Weird and More Observations

(Cat Books)

Cartoonist Jeffrey Brown's drawings perfectly capture the humor and quirkiness of cats in all their strange and charming glory. Following the success of Cat Getting Out of a Bag, this all-new collection of color and black-and-white comic strips loosely follows the adventures of a pair of cats as they explore the world around them, indoors and out. Adventures include taking ...more
Published July 28th 2010 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Cats are Weird and More Observations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cats are Weird and More Observations

karen
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
♥ x 1000

Judy
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is about cats and how awesome and strange they are.

I was greatly amused by a review that said that the reviewer wished this book had more substance.

My cat is currently sitting on the couch, licking his tummy. His gut is very substantial.
Rizal
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
People with cats would appreciate this.

Simple, not much texts, and adorable.
Charlie
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not sure how to rate comics like this but it was hilarious so I'm giving it 5 stars.

This pretty much exemplifies why my partner wants a cat and why I don't want one. Yeah they’re funny and cute and a little odd but they’re also annoying and irritating and somewhat evil.

This was a really fun read.
Joy
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 21c, american, comics, pets
Why yes, I am a crazy cat lady who loves comics. How could I not like this book? It helps, of course, that the observations are spot on.

...read most of this book with a cat snoring on one arm and another cat curled up next to my hip. It's not a bad life.
Rachel
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has made me desire a new feline in my life. Perhaps that is the point, to affirm a love of cats.
Cale
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
There's a key word in the title of this book - observations. This is not a collection of humorous comic strips (although some are lightly amusing). Instead it's a short-hand observer's notebook of cat incidents. As a cat owner, a lot of them are very relatable; my cats do a lot of what he's documented. But my problem with this book is that it just observes; there's no commentary. Cats are weird? Okay. Why should I care? There's nothing here that justifies the collection. No humor, no deep though ...more
Andrew
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is in the same style as "cat getting out of a bag", a mix of cat observation with humorous cartoon style illustrations. If you have ever owned or lived some time with a cat (after all who owns who) you very quickly start to recognise their antics in this book. I think the most entertaining ones are those where you think "yes my cat does that, yes just LIKE that" and that is where i think the appeal of this book really lies. Great read and one I think I could go back to time and time again ( ...more
D'Anne
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is adorable. If you like cats you will like this book. If you like cats but don't like this book you are dumb. If you don't like cats, well, that doesn't make you dumb. But you might still like this book.
Xanthi
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A gently amusing book for those of us who have lived with cats. My favourite was 'The Look'. We've all been on the receiving end of that one!
I liked the stylised drawings of the two cats but I also liked the more realistic ones of them, scattered throughout the book.
Kylie Kaemke
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
What a cute comic about how weird cats are!
Amanda Pearl
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: bir-2014
I love cats. They are hilarious. This is a fun light comic book that documents some of the delightfully weird stuff cats do. I would recommend picking it up for a fun 30 minutes of reading.
Megan RFA
Dec 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very adorable art - and he is right. Cats are weird.
Carol
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cats...
Just brilliant, that's exactly how cats are. I have one, I should know.
Brian James
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This comical study of cat behavior looks at the many remarkable qualities of feline nature. Staples of the animal's evolutionary oddities such as the inexplicable fear of the vacuum, the inability to sit without wandering in circles first, the impromptu sneak attack, and a cat's instinctive desire to prevent humans from accomplishing work at a desk are all covered here in hilarious detail.

Any cat owner will recognize the many instances that Jeffery Brown chooses to illustrate. The take on pecul
Samuel
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
The cats are cute enough, but otherwise, I was pretty disappointed by this one. The cartoons themselves seemed to stop at the level of "these sure are some things that cats do," rather than adding much in the way of observations, or commentary, or humor. The situations are recognizable...but that's all. Any given volume of Garfield is funnier than this, and I don't even particularly like Garfield.
Michele
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is set in cartoon panels. Most illustrations are simple in form so you must pay attention to the cat's face most of the time. There are single panels distributed throughout the book and these illustrations are more detailed and life like. The observations that are illustrated are pretty on point but there are a few that I just didn't get what was going on...overall, I enjoyed the book and will pass it on to be shared with one of my cat loving friends.
Dolly
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who love cats
With a mixture of humorous comic strips that detail the odd quirks of his cats and more realistic drawings of them, this book is sure to please the ailurophiles among us.

I purchased this book for our oldest daughter for her birthday, partly because she loves cats, but also because it is written by Jeffrey Brown and we love his books (and this one is not available at our local library.)
Kate
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I felt like there wasn't much of a narrative to most of these observations. I'm open to the idea that I just don't "get it" because I've never been much of a cat person. Most of my friends own cats, so I was hoping this would give me some insight into their world. Unfortunately not.
Abi Forslin
May 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think I might have been expecting something other than just cats, but it was just cats. And then it just made me feel like my own cats have been dreadfully unoriginal. But in a good way.
Sara
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my old cat to a T!
Jorge Rosas
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This little book is an amusing and very funny look into the life and behavior of the amazing and weird species known as cats.
Cody
My son finds this book utterly hilarious---I do too
Emma
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could just watch a cat all day. I wish I had one.
Yenny
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Hand drawn illustrative book. Cat lovers may love this book. As for me, I was only reading this to pass the time.
Fizzgig
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book had okay graphics. Some of the one page art was more detailed and beautiful. Most of the stories were telling the obvious. There was little humor. For me, the book was a checklist of stuff my cats have done. The art was mostly meh. The stories were obvious. Nothing original.
Dionisia
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cat owners and cat lovers
Recommended to Dionisia by: Melissa
Another cat book? Yes! The front and back covers are filled with embedded panels illustrating some typical moments of cat weirdness. It has such a great texture and feel, as if you could pet the cats if you wanted to. [ahem, not that I tried or anything.] The heavy pages and scattered pops of color were a nice touch too.

I'm so happy I stumbled upon Jeffrey Brown's cat-related comics. These books really helped me appreciate my crazy-ass cat's quirks. We started off with a strained relationship...
Austinp
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it

I want to tell you about the very short and easy comic book, Cats Are Weird (and more observations). Cartoonist Jeffrey Brown's drawings perfectly capture the humor and unusual traits of cats in everyday life. This collection of color and black-and-white comic strips loosely follows the adventures of a pair of cats as they explore the world around them, indoors and out. Adventures include taking a nap, licking a shoe, attacking dust particles, hiding in cabinets, pouncing on fallen leaves, confr
Sam Quixote
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Cats ARE weird, anyone who has a cat will tell you this. They sometimes run about for no reason chasing nothing, they squeeze into the strangest of places and go to sleep there, they meow for food and then walk away without touching it once they've received it.

Well, Jeffrey Brown has noticed these things too and has decided to make a 100+ pages book on the subject. It's mostly silent and alternates between colour and black and white pages, and it all looks very pretty, printed on good paper and
  • Cat vs Human
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 11
  • I Am Maru
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • Freshman: Tales of 9th Grade Obsessions, Revelations, and Other Nonsense
  • Simon's Cat: Beyond the Fence (Simon's Cat, #2)
  • How to Take Over Teh Wurld: A LOLcat Guide 2 Winning
  • Cat Person
  • Fluffy
  • Alone Forever: The Singles Collection
Jeffrey Brown was born in 1975 in Grand Rapids, Michigan and grew up reading comic books with dreams of someday drawing them, only to abandon them and focus on becoming a 'fine artist.' While earning his MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Brown abandoned painting and began drawing comics with his first autobiographical book 'Clumsy' in 2001. Since then he's drawn a dozen books fo ...more

Cat Books (2 books)